Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by two4one)
    How much will it be to surf, when the PAYG iPhone 3G comes out
    Included with the iPhone bolt-on, which is free for 12 months then £10/month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flamingmoe)
    16g 399 quid, 8g 359.

Its a rip off. Taking account into the time value of money and compare it to the 18 months contract it is the same value or worse depending on your usage.
    Min. TCO 8G, £30 contract: £99 + 18 * £30 = £540
    Min. TCO 8G, PAYG over 18 months: £359 + 6 * £10 = £419

Uh, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snu)
    Min. TCO 8G, £30 contract: £99 + 18 * £30 = £540
    Min. TCO 8G, PAYG over 18 months: £359 + 6 * £10 = £419

Uh, no.
    so you dont top up your iphone at all ?

the lumpsum you pay in advance compared to when you spread it out in the 18 months is a big loss too.

in fact, people who usually buy iphone have taste preference far less sensitive to price. in other words, locking into one iphone 3g for 18months will prevent you from buying a newer iphone whilst if you are free to buy a newer one, you probably will since you are a geek (like me ) - hope you get my point.

so, all in all its the same value or worse.

ReputationRep:
    16g 399 quid, 8g 359.

Its a rip off. Taking account into the time value of money and compare it to the 18 months contract it is the same value or worse depending on your usage.
    You're getting 12 months web access worth £10/month = £120. Then an equivalent iPod Touch would cost you at least £200. So for £400, the phone part of the deal is basically costing you £80 - the cost of a regular pay as you go handset - I think that's outstanding value for money.

And a hell of a lot cheaper than contract if you wouldn't use much of the inclusive allowance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    And a hell of a lot cheaper than contract if you wouldn't use much of the inclusive allowance.
    Well, it's only £540-£419=£121 cheaper - so you'd have to make less than £6.72 per month of calls/texts for it to actually work out cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snu)
    Well, it's only £540-£419=£121 cheaper - so you'd have to make less than £6.72 per month of calls/texts for it to actually work out cheaper.
    Thanks, it will work out cheaper for me. I'm lucky if I get through 10 minutes a month and a dozen text messages. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    16g 399 quid, 8g 359.

Meh. It's actually a good price IMHO, if you compare it to other price for contract-free phones like HTC Touch Diamond.

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.