Need advise, got my UKCAT score !! :| Watch

Nicolish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gm88)
it really irritates me when idiots dont bother to research courses properly. so many ***** in my school applied to places were they clearly didnt meet the entry requirements and ended up wasting places - people applied to brisol with bs in chem and notts with Bs in biology. i hope they carry on doing that though - frees up more spaces for those who bother to research. just dotn make the same mistake and do your research
you mean AS grades?
because if that is true I will cry
magichearts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sd91)
I asked the deanof amissions at sheffield several questions rgarding the ukcat a couple of weeks ago when i went to a medicine open day. Firstly sheffield are placing a lot of emphasis on the ukcat this year (at least more than last year anyway). At the open day Dr. Lennard said that their cut off score is 2800 but it will depend on what all of the applicants gets (i doubt i will be this high in reality). The ukcat score, ps and reference al have the same weighting when selecting candidates for interview. There is someone on NMM who got a rejection with 650 and an active member on tsr who got a rejection with 654. Howver some on nmm got an offer 638 last year but aspects of their admissions procedures have changed this year. If i was you i would ring sheffield admissions up because from the looks of it and what the dean was saying at the open day it is quite an important part of their procedure
I was at the open day and I certainly don't remember this being asked or being covered. If the 700 score is true and will be a big part of the application why didn't he mention it during the open day. It should've been his main points as making the cut-off known is very important. The talk was very informative and I highly doubt he would just simply "forget" to mention that cut-off is 700.
sd91
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It is not an exact cut off score (i probably used the wrong wording) but dr lennard said they are looking for exceptional ukcat scores around 700. Shefield are going to wait until they receive all the applications to decide on one but obviously they will be selecting the very high 700 scores first. They never publish their a cut off score either - it is something that s dcided on internally. A lot of people in the session i went to asked about the ukcat and that is the answer that was given because they never mentioned the ukcat in their speech apart from saying it's important. What i've said about the ukcat havng more emphaisis this year was the response i got when i asked my own individual questions and am only trying to inform everyone else of what they are saying so no one gets the wrong end of the stick. I talked to admissions individually and that is the answer they gave me. The information that i gave in the previous post was from dr lennard, jo marshall and the academic rep as well as the admissions rep and i doubt that they were all lying if they all said the same thing
annread
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by gm88)
it really irritates me when idiots dont bother to research courses properly. so many ***** in my school applied to places were they clearly didnt meet the entry requirements and ended up wasting places - people applied to brisol with bs in chem and notts with Bs in biology. i hope they carry on doing that though - frees up more spaces for those who bother to research. just dotn make the same mistake and do your research

Well infact i dont think you have done your research:rolleyes: . Firstly Bristol dont look at AS grades. Secondly if you achieved a B at AS in chem you can still get an A for A2. Thirdly if you are being predicted As then you are fine. (i know of several people with Bs in Chemistry (one infact with a C) who were given an offer since they were predicted an A.)

For Nottingham they do make offers of AAB (As in Chem and Bio), but as i sed above, you can still be considered if you are being predicted As. OO they dont look at AS grades either.

So infact its not a wasted place.
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Nicolish)
QMUL doesnt have a cut off point at 600 anymore
Spoke to an admissions tutor yesterday
this year they are getting the top 200 for interview
so people under 600 will have a better chance kinda
x
That's not really true. The top 200 people will most likely have scores over 600 therefore the borderline 600 will find it harder to gain an interview.
Nicolish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nas7232)
That's not really true. The top 200 people will most likely have scores over 600 therefore the borderline 600 will find it harder to gain an interview.
I guess, but it might be a bad year. In the 600 cut off people under were not even given a chance. Now there is a slight chance that they may be okay.

Its hard to tell though
Gangsta Boogie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lu-x)
Where did you hear this?
Yh, where?
gm88
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by annread)
Well infact i dont think you have done your research:rolleyes: . Firstly Bristol dont look at AS grades. Secondly if you achieved a B at AS in chem you can still get an A for A2. Thirdly if you are being predicted As then you are fine. (i know of several people with Bs in Chemistry (one infact with a C) who were given an offer since they were predicted an A.)

For Nottingham they do make offers of AAB (As in Chem and Bio), but as i sed above, you can still be considered if you are being predicted As. OO they dont look at AS grades either.

So infact its not a wasted place.
I was actually reffering to A2 grades.
Gangsta Boogie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lu-x)
Where did you hear this?
Yh, where?
hamednhg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey silentgirl

I applied to Peninsula and got in and from my experience having talked to other people who applied there with me last year ... a good part of their selection procedure before giving out interviews is looking at UKCAT scores. I dont know hat boundaries they put in but basically I got a 650 average and got in so if your AS results and A2 predictions are good i think you'll be fine.

The other thing I wanna say, is that at PMS, their interviewing is the fairest out of all my interviews cuz they are REALLY into how you feel about becoming a doctor and not how much knowledge you have. If you get me?

Hope I helped
Lu-x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Gangsta Boogie)
Yh, where?
Stop quoting me, quote the other guy
Sanjetti
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
QMUL doesnt have a cut off point at 600 anymore
Spoke to an admissions tutor yesterday
this year they are getting the top 200 for interview
so people under 600 will have a better chance kinda
x
Oh really! Thanks so much for telling me, that would have been risky. Are you sure they're getting only the top 200? That seems incredibly harsh to me, surely only people with 700+ UKCAT will get interviewed
Nicolish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hamednhg)
Hey silentgirl

I applied to Peninsula and got in and from my experience having talked to other people who applied there with me last year ... a good part of their selection procedure before giving out interviews is looking at UKCAT scores. I dont know hat boundaries they put in but basically I got a 650 average and got in so if your AS results and A2 predictions are good i think you'll be fine.

The other thing I wanna say, is that at PMS, their interviewing is the fairest out of all my interviews cuz they are REALLY into how you feel about becoming a doctor and not how much knowledge you have. If you get me?

Hope I helped
I've heard a lot of criticism about PMS
although it was by cambridge med students soooo
lol
Nicolish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sanjetti)
Oh really! Thanks so much for telling me, that would have been risky. Are you sure they're getting only the top 200? That seems incredibly harsh to me, surely only people with 700+ UKCAT will get interviewed
He said 200
maybe the rest they look at other aspects of the application, I'm not sure.
People with 700+ are most likely to apply for other london med schools like KCL, UCL and Imperial.
SilentGirl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
So much for npt getting 650+ in ukcat
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
He said 200
People with 700+ are most likely to apply for other london med schools like KCL, UCL and Imperial.
except imperial (and ucl) don't give one about this abomination of an aptitude test...
Nicolish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
except imperial (and ucl) don't give one about this abomination of an aptitude test...
oooh yeah forgot about that!
Sanjetti
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
He said 200
Ah ok, thanks!

Oh and my loathing for the UKCAT has deepened :p:
Jaetie
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sanjetti)
Oh And I know QMUL has a cut off point of 600, so I'd avoid that.
where did you get this information from?
Sanjetti
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jaetie)
where did you get this information from?
Read the posts above in this thread
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (78)
26.62%
No (215)
73.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed