does it seem completely ridiculous that im even thinking this??? Watch

brokenangel
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
go with your heart will. But think,

Will you be happy in yourself at oxford.
if you go to lancaster will you always wonder what if you went to oxford.
surrreality
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
omg go to oxford, i wish i had a chance of going there. you are the envy of many students!
naomiii
Report 10 years ago
I was in similar position, and turned down Culture at UAL to do what i REALLY wanted to do (Art and Design) My advice would be to do what feels right and what you think will make you happiest. The length of your degree is a long time to be unhappy and thinking you've made the wrong choice. Good luck!
WoWZa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go for Lancaster. Am not sure what the party scene is like in Lancaster, but Oxford doesn't have that much of a party scene and apparently the work ethic at Oxford is intense.
Milady de Winter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by WoWZa)
Go for Lancaster. Am not sure what the party scene is like in Lancaster, but Oxford doesn't have that much of a party scene and apparently the work ethic at Oxford is intense.
:lies:

If you are smart enough to get accepted to Oxford after the interview, you are smart enough to cope with the workload. It's not as dreadful as many people claim it is. Besides - surely if you want to go somewhere like Oxford, you probably enjoy your subject, and are almost certainly very good at it. So you shouldn't have academic problems, and the workload will not stop you having a social life. Seriously, Oxford is a fantastic place. It's not perfect - nowhere is! - but it's a wonderful university.

Feel free to PM me if you want to ask anything about Oxford.
Arowana123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go to Oxford if you enjoy the company of public school elitist rah's. And if you want better employment prospects.
Milady de Winter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Arowana123)
Go to Oxford if you enjoy the company of public school elitist rah's. And if you want better employment prospects.
Thanks for that ignorant and narrow-minded statement. FYI, I went to my local comprehensive, and I wasn't the only comp-schooler there by a long shot. And as for 'elitism', I think what you actually mean is an emphasis on intelligence and originality. :no:
WoWZa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Milady de Winter)
:lies:

If you are smart enough to get accepted to Oxford after the interview, you are smart enough to cope with the workload. It's not as dreadful as many people claim it is. Besides - surely if you want to go somewhere like Oxford, you probably enjoy your subject, and are almost certainly very good at it. So you shouldn't have academic problems, and the workload will not stop you having a social life. Seriously, Oxford is a fantastic place. It's not perfect - nowhere is! - but it's a wonderful university.

Feel free to PM me if you want to ask anything about Oxford.
Being "smart enough to cope" is one thing while the effort which encompasses procrastination is another. The level of standards at Oxford is likely to be a lot higher which thus raises the work ethic that can subsequently mean more pressure. There isn't much of a party scene anyway, and it doesn't seem to have that kind of "chilled out" atmosphere.
Milady de Winter
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by WoWZa)
Being "smart enough to cope" is one thing while the effort which encompasses procrastination is another. The level of standards at Oxford is likely to be awesome and thus the work ethic is much likely to be higher which can mean more pressure. There isn't much of a party scene anyway, and it doesn't seem to have that kind of "chilled out" atmosphere.
I found it pretty relaxing, actually (but then, I did do History ). I suppose everyone's version of a "great party scene" is different. But if you do insist on cocaine-fuelled orgies, you'll probably find one. Equally, if your idea of a good night out is bopping along to cheesy music, or looking ironic in an indie dive bar, or discussing Herodotus over cheese and wine, you will be able to do one or all of those things (not at the same time, mind :rolleyes:)
Sk1lLz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Vazzyb)
Go to Oxford.
:ditto:
WoWZa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I found it pretty relaxing, actually (but then, I did do History ). I suppose everyone's version of a "great party scene" is different. But if you do insist on cocaine-fuelled orgies, you'll probably find one. Equally, if your idea of a good night out is bopping along to cheesy music, or looking ironic in an indie dive bar, or discussing Herodotus over cheese and wine, you will be able to do one or all of those things (not at the same time, mind :rolleyes:)
I've just heard stories that the work ethic is quite intense, there isn't that much of a party scene and it also seems kinda "boring". Each to their own though!
WoWZa
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
And about the party scene, go to Oceana in Nottingham and you'll know what I mean.
Arowana123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks for that ignorant and narrow-minded statement. FYI, I went to my local comprehensive, and I wasn't the only comp-schooler there by a long shot. And as for 'elitism', I think what you actually mean is an emphasis on intelligence and originality. :no:
Roughly 50% of Oxford students are from public schools. 7% of secondary school pupils go to public schools. That says it all.
xMiss_Sarahx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't go to Lancaster...when we went to go visit it, they had spelt 'welcome' wrong, on the sign as you drive it!
Also it's pretty isolated and I've been to both Oxford and Lancaster town centres and Lancaster is pretty grim. The only positives are the sandwhich bar my dad used to own (which does gorgeous pasta bake and jacket potatoes) and the sweet stall of the market.
xMiss_Sarahx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Arowana123)
Roughly 50% of Oxford students are from public schools. 7% of secondary school pupils go to public schools. That says it all.
I bet the percentage of 'public' school pupils who apply to university is higher than the percentage of state who apply. (By that I don't mean percentage of university applicants)
NoQualms
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Not to insult Lancaster-i don't know much about it-says a lot as i've done a lot of research into unis BUT If it was Oxford and say one of the better known redbricks/ a top london uni etc-then i would see your difficulty.
Whatever you do just don't regret your decision; uni is supposed to be some of the best years of your life-but at the end of the day you go there to give yourself the best chance in life at a successful career-oxford will definitely do that for you-provided you come out with a 2:1 of course.
Crystaltears
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I agree that you should try and go back to look around Oxford.
Oxford will still have a good social life and people won't be as stuck up as you imgaine.
Priyanka1992
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OMG...Oxford for sure.
jaz_jaz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oxford would be a great opportunity
go there!
Epic Win
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd go to Oxford...
I mean, Lancaster OWNS, but Oxford is OXFORD lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1130)
79.02%
Leave (300)
20.98%

Watched Threads