Aqa Biology (b) And Aqa Chemistry Watch

Botticello
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The CGP books I agree, are fantastic. Don't do what I did and rely on the little Collins booklets cause they are too rudimentary and will not explain it properly.

My UMS for Biology and Chemistry:
Chemistry - 353/600
CHM1 61
CHM2 63
CHM3 75
CHM4 56
CHM5 52
CHM6 46

Biology 406/600
BYB1 79
BYB2 70
BYB3 88
BYB4 63
BYB5 48
BYB7 58
I went AWOL in year 13 hence the crapness
i'm no superman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Botticello)
Biology 406/600
BYB1 79
BYB2 70
BYB3 88
BYB4 63
BYB5 48
BYB7 58
Oh snap we got the same mark in BYB1! :p:

Can you give me any advice about BYB4, BYB5, and BYB7? We're sitting BYB4 and BYB5 in January '09 - think it's the first year the department is trying this. I'm going on a Biology trip next week for three days for the coursework component of BYB5, don't really have a clue what to expect so some advice would be nice if you've got some free time!
Micky13
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
seriously ignore this bumming of GCP books lol....collins are tonnes better....i know for a fact the people who write them are all the AQA examiners for each individual module book so they're pretty damn good....and they're not breif at all...they tell u everything u need to know for chem AS....and A2....they're no vague and they're not difficult to understand at all....they simplify everything so much! if you don't understand the stuff in those books then quite frankly, your never going to get an A in chemistry...because those collins books break it down nicely and are perfect for cramming the night before...if you read through each book once the night before the exam and take it all in, you should get an A.
Botticello
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by !MEna)
Oh snap we got the same mark in BYB1! :p:

Can you give me any advice about BYB4, BYB5, and BYB7? We're sitting BYB4 and BYB5 in January '09 - think it's the first year the department is trying this. I'm going on a Biology trip next week for three days for the coursework component of BYB5, don't really have a clue what to expect so some advice would be nice if you've got some free time!
Oh, right I actually got 79 the 3rd time round You were good to get it first time!

Ok, my advice would be that your coursework may vary from mine even if you're taking Microbes, sorry about that! BYB5 is Environment and a small module, rather boring really, its often about common sense more than facts, but has a tricky mark scheme as it's so vague!

BYB4 is what our teacher (who was off for all year 13 due to falling down a grid and breaking her ankle :shifty: so we had another science teacher who was better) calls "the waste bucket" because its so random, and doesnt seem to have any obvious link. Despite this I found it very interesting because its very physiological and to do with living things, specially genes It's the biggest A2 module and is hard to start with due to photosynthesis/resp being horribly tricky! A lot of it is memorising facts and concepts or processes, which can be applied to a question quite easily when you know the details, so its an easy one to memorise mark schemes for. I personally think you should give priority to Module 4, as its a whopsy big one, and I wouldn't want to resit it in june because its just so much work, and getting a good score under your belt would be good so you can concentrate on the others, and BYB5 would be easier to resit. Good luck with everything!
ILOVECHEESE1991
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
micky these collins books...are they those thin red books?
Botticello
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ILOVECHEESE1991)
micky these collins books...are they those thin red books?
yes, the chemistry ones have red with darkish brown patterns on them
z_2j96
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
How about the Heineman AS and A2 textbooks for Chemistry?
Micky13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeh the collins are thin red books with some wierd murky brown colour on them aswell lol....the heineman AS and A2 books for chem are alright actually....and a cheaper option...but collins are the best...i just bought both lol...i think (if you can afford to buy both) you should use the collins as your number 1, and if you don't understand something, or want something calrified, use the heineman book for a different perspective.
z_2j96
Rep:
?
Are them Collins books for Chemistry enough to get the A though in every module?
Micky13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
more than enough
if u learn everything in the collins book u'll easily get 90%
z_2j96
Rep:
?
I hope so. I will be using them with the Heinemann textbooks. For Biology the Collins textbooks. The heinemann ones I dont like the look of.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (77)
29.96%
No - I got the required grades (147)
57.2%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.84%

Watched Threads