Durham History Application Watch

Schott
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Then in that case Durham is royally poo. Don't know why I bear a grudge against them though, there was no way on earth I was ever going to go up north, let alone that far up lol.
Sam o0o
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I didn't really want to post asking for advice, I like to think of myself as independent (yeah, right..)

But seeing as I didn't like Warwick, Durham is another option. The thing is, I only got 5 A*s and 4 As at GCSE, and an A in history where they say A* is preffered.

I feel I've improved a lot since then, and I'll be predicted AAA including history obviously, but will they just throw my application out straight away?
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sam o0o)
I didn't really want to post asking for advice, I like to think of myself as independent (yeah, right..)

But seeing as I didn't like Warwick, Durham is another option. The thing is, I only got 5 A*s and 4 As at GCSE, and an A in history where they say A* is preffered.

I feel I've improved a lot since then, and I'll be predicted AAA including history obviously, but will they just throw my application out straight away?
Probably. Harsh, but true. Your only hope would be if there were extenuating circumstances to 'explain' your 'low' grades
Sam o0o
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah well, I may just give it a shot just in case, it can be "my" Oxbridge!

Along with Kings and Bristol (both AAA), let's hope Southampton and Sheffield/Newcastle don't reject me as well!
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah well, I may just give it a shot just in case, it can be "my" Oxbridge!

Along with Kings and Bristol (both AAA), let's hope Southampton and Sheffield/Newcastle don't reject me as well!
No, it isn't the same. For Oxbridge you usually get an interview; that doesn't happen at Durham; they rely on grades and PS. If you don't believe me, email the admissions tutor and ask him/her for a view - I think I can predict the answer now! As I say, unless you have extenuating circumstances (including coming from a really low-performing school) you will most likely fall at the first fence. It's happened to people with better grades than you, I'm afraid.
Sam o0o
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah you're probably right, thanks!

Argh this is getting very annoying now!
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tony_ron)
Then in that case Durham is royally poo. Don't know why I bear a grudge against them though, there was no way on earth I was ever going to go up north, let alone that far up lol.
What's wrong with "oop north"? Anyway, Durham's in the midlands (or even the south, just about) :p:

It may seem very harsh and arrogant on their part but yes, they may well do. It is an exceptionally competitive course and the first thing they'll look at when filtering candidates will probably be your GCSEs.

But I don't meant to put you off. Never say never and if you want to apply, apply. You've got some good sensible choices there alongside Durham so go ahead.
Schott
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's nothing wrong with it lol, it's just very very far away. Can only just about manage East Anglia lol. Just prefer the South generally. Got a friend in Castle doing Geography up there though and he seems to totally love it.
dark_light
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well i am going to be starting at durham in a few weeks and I did get 9A*s at GCSE, so did my two friends who are also going. I don't want to put you off but i know two people whowere rejected with 6A*s and 4As (although one did manage to get into Oxford :eek: ) When i was at my post offers open day they said they had 22 applicants per place and they have to choose between them somehow.
Wez
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

They won't just 'throw out' your application. They'll probably still read your PS (after all, your grades are good and only just below what's preferred). If it's great, you could get an offer (although it's sadly unlikely I think cos they do love their GCSEs).
(Original post by Minerva)
Probably. Harsh, but true. Your only hope would be if there were extenuating circumstances to 'explain' your 'low' grades
Well, an exceptional PS/reference can still get you in!
Lizj
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Wez)
They won't just 'throw out' your application. They'll probably still read your PS (after all, your grades are good and only just below what's preferred). If it's great, you could get an offer (although it's sadly unlikely I think cos they do love their GCSEs).

Well, an exceptional PS/reference can still get you in!
No, they won't just "throw out " your application, you might get an offer. But if there is a choice between you and someone with 8A*s it would probably go to the other person. History at Durham is so competitive, they have so many applicants that they really don't have the time or energy to make imformed decisions based on PSs, extenuating circumstances etc.
Ironically, your chances of getting into Oxford or Cambridge are better.
I am not saying "don't apply", but I am saying don't put all your eggs in one basket, make sure that you would be happy to go to your other choices.
Wez
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lizj)
No, they won't just "throw out " your application, you might get an offer. But if there is a choice between you and someone with 8A*s it would probably go to the other person. History at Durham is so competitive, they have so many applicants that they really don't have the time or energy to make imformed decisions based on PSs, extenuating circumstances etc.
Ironically, your chances of getting into Oxford or Cambridge are better.
I am not saying "don't apply", but I am saying don't put all your eggs in one basket, make sure that you would be happy to go to your other choices.
Agreed.
hellodolly2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I just want to say that I applied to durham with 2 A*'s, 2A's, and three B's and GCSES and predicted grades A*AA and I got an offer from durham for history. So please don't be discouraged
BigPash
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That last comment has filled me with some hope!

I have applied to Durham for history with only average GCSEs but very good As results.
At GCSE i got 2 A*s 7 A's (including history), 1 B and 1 C.
But at Alevel i got 5 A's of which all were over 90%.

I have already had two offers for history and politics joint at Birmingham and Nottingham, and an interview at Jesus College Cambridge for history.

I have still heard nothing from Durham. This is my risky choice and it was going to be between durham and edinburgh but durham has the better reputation for history.

Has durham just been a waste? Because going soley of gcse's is a bit rubbish because everyone matures and progresses at different speeds.

Hmm :/

Btw, has anyone had an offer for history?
CharlyM
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hahah the comment about Durham being in the midlands amused me. I live in York - south of Durham - and I can assure you that if York is considered northern, then Durham certainly is!
My sister is at Durham studying politics. She didn't have the best GCSE's (something like 5A* 4A's and a B), but they were still good. And her AS's were amazing. She got 100 in 4 out of 8 exams.
Now I'm applying to Durham for history with 9A* and an A at GCSE, AAAB (B in economics, dodgy teacher he got the sack though) and am predicted A*A*A*. I have been rejected now by both Cambridge and UCL. This has made me just a litttllee bit nervous haha. I'm still waiting to hear from Durham (duh), Bristol and Edinburgh. I sent my application at the beginning of October which feels like so long ago now. However, I did have to undefer my entry in November, only finally managing to get through to Edinburgh in December. This has been somewhat of a tumultuous application process.
Has anyone had offers from any of these places? If so, how long after you sent your application?
Good luck everyone!
Delaney
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Durham was very good for history. It's where I had my first pizza. Other things too, of course, but it's the pizza that stands out.

Sorry, couldn't help myself haha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?