Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    The problem is some former polytechnics do offer dubious degrees in subjects such as Golf, Sailing, Footwear, and other weird topics.
    Well if you're going to go and do a course like that you're just odd anyway. I mean for the majority of course in Polys.. it just seems so stuck up the whole attitude toward them.

ReputationRep:
    It reaaaally gets my back up when people **** off ex polys. It's just ignorant, which is ironic because the people that do it are supposedly 'intelligent' enough to attend these elitist top 10 universities. You could argue that one does not need a degree in Philosophy to be philosophical.. How long is a piece of string? You could argue this until the cows come home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by storminaDcup)
    It reaaaally gets my back up when people **** off ex polys. It's just ignorant, which is ironic because the people that do it are supposedly 'intelligent' enough to attend these elitist top 10 universities. You could argue that one does not need a degree in Philosophy to be philosophical.. How long is a piece of string? You could argue this until the cows come home.
    Why shouldn't people question the validity of these so called 'universities'. they make a mockery of HE.

ReputationRep:
    Well alot of ex polys are alot higher than non-polys. There are some very good ones around. I think it's just stupid to debate stuff like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Em-)
    There really is far more to it than that.
    You care to explain that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undisputed)
    Why shouldn't people question the validity of these so called 'universities'. they make a mockery of HE.
    Because they actually don't make any more a mockery of HE than the big boys.

My advice to people general is to get a science or engineering degree - you will get a job and good career prospects where you went is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    Shut down all ex-ploys, or ask them to charge full tuition and spare us from paying taxes

ReputationRep:
    If a student's no good as a student, and isn't going to be; then getting a job would be more worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    why are people worrying themselves over such a matter?

Regardless of the differing opinions between people in this thread, it shouldn't concern anyone. If someone starts a degree at a ex-poly then it can be safely assumed that it is a subject they want to study, so let them get on with it i say.

And all this talk of wasting tax-payers money is silly. The students parents would have been paying tax all if not most their adult life. And the student will do the same after he / she graduates. Therefore it is surely their right to study for a degree if that is what they choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beefmaster)
    why are people worrying themselves over such a matter?

Regardless of the differing opinions between people in this thread, it shouldn't concern anyone. If someone starts a degree at a ex-poly then it can be safely assumed that it is a subject they want to study, so let them get on with it i say.

And all this talk of wasting tax-payers money is silly. The students parents would have been paying tax all if not most their adult life. And the student will do the same after he / she graduates. Therefore it is surely their right to study for a degree if that is what they choose.
    Well said.

ReputationRep:
    This is honestly a no brainer:
    1st choice: non ex-poly degree
    if not
    2nd choice: ex-poly degree
    last resort
    3rd choice: straight into work.

A degree, regardless of where from, is always better than no degree.

ReputationRep:
    ever thought that an ex-poly could be a stepping stone onto a "better" uni for post grad. Not everyone gets AAA at alevel for a variety of reasons not just because they arent capable

ReputationRep:
    Also it does depend on the subject. Say somebody is studying an arts subject at an ex poly which they enjoy. Do they have any hope in employment even if they get a 2.1/1st?

Secondly about postgraduates. Would it be necessary for them (ex poly students) to HAVE TO go and get a postgraduate degree at a higher university to have any chance of getting a job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffee_Kid)
    This is honestly a no brainer:
    1st choice: non ex-poly degree
    if not
    2nd choice: ex-poly degree
    last resort
    3rd choice: straight into work.

A degree, regardless of where from, is always better than no degree.
    QFT
    Jesus ****** christ its not rocket science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    The problem is some former polytechnics do offer dubious degrees in subjects such as Golf, Sailing, Footwear, and other weird topics.
    I beg pardon good Sir, but to declare a fine Degree such as Sailing as a "weird topic," breaches my tolerance for the ignorant nature of the ill-informed public.

ReputationRep:
    A BA degree from a ex-poly could get you into a MA degree at other universities. Also, internationally they are widely respected. Tired of them people ****** at the uni they're going to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fetai)
    A BA degree from a ex-poly could get you into a MA degree at other universities. Also, internationally they are widely respected. Tired of them people ****** at the uni they're going to.
    I would contest that. For postgrad many good universities do not want to bring their rep down with ex-poly students who are less intelligent and less likely to work (as proved by their a-level results).

ReputationRep:
    I would contest that. For postgrad many good universities do not want to bring their rep down with ex-poly students who are less intelligent and less likely to work (as proved by their a-level results).
    But not their degree result? Clearly you don't have a clue about postgrad admissions if you think that they value a-levels above degree performance and references. I mean it wasn't even on the form for my PhD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    But not their degree result? Clearly you don't have a clue about postgrad admissions if you think that they value a-levels above degree performance and references. I mean it wasn't even on the form for my PhD.
    Well having gone through postgrad admissions for a world class british university and seen where people are coming from, it would suggest otherwise...there were absolutely no ex-poly students. In fact the lowest uni was goldsmiths.

ReputationRep:
    Well having gone through postgrad admissions for a world class british university and seen where people are coming from, it would suggest otherwise...there were absolutely no ex-poly students. In fact the lowest uni was goldsmiths.
    I presume it isn't an MSc in statistics.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.