Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kettensägenmassaker)
    I suppose they're much less the hub of your social life at pg level because at pg level you have much less of a social life?
    Probably! (Depends how much you need to study though, a friend doing a music PhD -- not at Oxford -- was always up for a night out clubbing.)

That said, one of Exeter's fellows is doing some pretty amazing research in my field, but I'm not sure that I want to be at Exeter. Oh, the things to consider.
    I think you should choose somewhere near to London. Oxford has good connections to London, there are coaches every 10-60 minutes 24 hours a day if you don't want to take the train (which is a bit more expensive, but quicker). I know a few undergrads from Oxford who come to London quite often for a night out or a weekend.

Oh! You know the most ridiculous thing - in investigating graduate housing situations, I'm having trouble understanding bathrooms! It never occurred to me that they would be called something different. When you use the term bathroom, it doesn't necessarily imply a shower, does it?
    Not necessarily, but it usually would. "Shower room" means just a shower (or possibly a basin too). "En-suite" means a private room with at least a toilet, basin and shower. "Toilet" means just a toilet (in an older property) or toilet + basin (in a newer one). Where it's just a toilet, the sink will be in the adjacent bathroom.

Does it imply a bath tub and a sink, then? sink = basin? Do bathrooms have toilets in them, or are they completely separate from toilet rooms?
    In normal houses, a "bathroom" usually includes a toilet. If it doesn't, then it's in the adjacent room.

Really? Just residence halls? That's a little saddening, to be quite honest.
    As someone who was in a normal residence hall when I was at uni (Imperial College), the Oxbridge colleges seem to be a bit more than just that -- I don't know for sure, but I understand they have things like sports teams, a bar, a sense of identity, ancient traditions and buckets of history.

My hall at Imperial had a football (soccer!) team and probably some others, but no one really cared about them, it was 99% just for fun at the weekend.

(despite the awful exchange rate right now).
    Good luck with that!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by xaxa)
    I think you should choose somewhere near to London. Oxford has good connections to London, there are coaches every 10-60 minutes 24 hours a day if you don't want to take the train (which is a bit more expensive, but quicker). I know a few undergrads from Oxford who come to London quite often for a night out or a weekend.

As someone who was in a normal residence hall when I was at uni (Imperial College), the Oxbridge colleges seem to be a bit more than just that -- I don't know for sure, but I understand they have things like sports teams, a bar, a sense of identity, ancient traditions and buckets of history.

My hall at Imperial had a football (soccer!) team and probably some others, but no one really cared about them, it was 99% just for fun at the weekend.
    He means Exeter College, University of Oxford, not Exeter, West Country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Bath

yes, then we mean the same thing. I just never heard it shortened like that. :p:

ReputationRep:
    He means Exeter College, University of Oxford, not Exeter, West Country.
    SHE! I'm a her, damnit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oriel historian)
    I'll get back there one day, simply because its learning environment suits me. Just culturally and socially, I was an alien.
    do you think your attitude toward pg at Oxford would've been different had you been in a different college as an undergrad? What do you have to say about Oriel? What cultural and social differences were most significant?

ReputationRep:
    do you think your attitude toward pg at Oxford would've been different had you been in a different college as an undergrad? What do you have to say about Oriel? What cultural and social differences were most significant?
    Well, I'm working-class, quite poor, and went to a comprehensive school. I'm also the first in the family to university so that was a big step for me to make. I'm also massively left-wing. Most people in Oriel had a different path to me, they tended to be almost the polar opposite. Hence why my friends ended up being from outside of Oriel mostly. I possibly might have chosen a different course in my career if I'd gone to a different college but I don't think that Oxford is the be-all and end-all of education and nor do I think it's healthy to stay there forever.

In the end, Oxford hasn't got the resources or people I need to do what I want to do. It's a university like any other and outside of its fantastic undergraduate teaching, it's kind of plain. Lots of Americans go there thinking it'll be like Harry Potter and Oxford does play up to that image. That's how they make their money from International students.

ReputationRep:
    1. Well, I'm working-class, quite poor, and went to a comprehensive school. I'm also the first in the family to university so that was a big step for me to make. I'm also massively left-wing. Most people in Oriel had a different path to me, they tended to be almost the polar opposite.

2. In the end, Oxford hasn't got the resources or people I need to do what I want to do. It's a university like any other and outside of its fantastic undergraduate teaching, it's kind of plain. Lots of Americans go there thinking it'll be like Harry Potter and Oxford does play up to that image. That's how they make their money from International students.
    1. So you felt that your lower class upbringing set you apart? In the states, it's not particularly uncommon and I can't imagine it being an issue (well maybe in the Ivy League). My mom was the first person in my family to earn a degree, and she completed hers after I was born - I spent a lot of time growing up on the college campus I currently live at, so it's home to me in that sense. I never thought of myself as having been poor, but I guess for a while we really very poor in retrospect. My mom died when I was 15, though, and I've never met my dad. Now I just think of myself as a student, not really in terms of class. I definitely won't have tons of money to spend while I'm there, but I don't think I'd be struggling either (I wouldn't put myself in that position, honestly - paying for undergrad has been difficult enough).

2. I'm not gonna lie, the Harry Potter image is very charming, although I never associated it with Oxford until after I'd made up my mind to begin researching the school. Honestly, at pg level it really matters more that there are faculty (fellows?) competent in your general area, yes? I don't think the department I'm interested in is particularly thought of either good or bad. In terms of reputation LSE is probably the best thought of here in terms of my department, but I'm not sure I would like the atmosphere of LSE at all. It seems like the college system is a way to have the resources of a large university while still offering some of the small-ish feel of a small one. That's what I gather anyway, but I'm horrified that I might end up at the wrong college and be miserable with the experience.

ReputationRep:
    :troll: :p:

You got a post-count fetish River?
    Yup.

In my defence, I haven't been on at all during the past couple of days as I've been in London. I'm making up for lost time

No, I was just showing my appreciation for the OP's great posts and summary of their college's history. That and I wanted to subscribe, I was interested in where the thread was going.

OP, if you like studying in a Harry Potter-esque environment then it was Durham that provided the setting for Hogwarts It's overrated though (the Hogwarts feel, not Durham) and you wouldn't study there (the cathedral).

I'll sod off now :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I come from a similar(ish) background to oriel historian, and I really like Oriel, and all my friends there are very down to earth - just for another opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I come from a similar(ish) background to oriel historian, and I really like Oriel, and all my friends there are very down to earth - just for another opinion.

Hehe, wrong place, wrong time for me. Plus historians at Oriel used to be of a particular "type"...

ReputationRep:
    Oh, if we are talking about Oriel then I can add something.

Most of my friends from school went to Cambridge but, those that did go to Oxford, all went to Oriel for some reason (though there were only four from two seperate years). They were from fairly modest backgrounds. Comfortable but not wealthy at all. They did fit in quite well. According to them you didn't really have the Rahs that inhabit many of the other universities (or some of Oxbridge's colleges).

I have a real thing about Rahs today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    No, I was just showing my appreciation for the OP's great posts and summary of their college's history. That and I wanted to subscribe, I was interested in where the thread was going.
    Thanks! I'm not sure it's going anywhere else, I hope it stays here so that I am able to locate it in the future. :p:

OP, if you like studying in a Harry Potter-esque environment then it was Durham that provided the setting for Hogwarts It's overrated though (the Hogwarts feel, not Durham) and you wouldn't study there (the cathedral).
    Yes, I'm aware that the castle is at Durham, but there were scenes shot in a couple of locations at Oxford (or so I've read). That's not really it, though. Even the "new" colleges all seem to be 19th century, which is as old as mine and certainly most would have facilities older than those I currently reside in. Our campus dates back only to the 1920s since the original burned entirely to the ground in a large fire whose cause is still unknown.

Whatever, age of the physical buildings is not a concern.

Anyway, I keep reading about "high" dinners. What on Earth are those? And I can't remember what movie it was I saw recently that depicted this, but do Oxford students really run around in robes?

ReputationRep:
    According to them you didn't really have the Rahs that inhabit many of the other universities (or some of Oxbridge's colleges).
    What's a Rah?

Are you sure you're speaking English? :p:

ReputationRep:
    What's a Rah?

Are you sure you're speaking English? :p:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rah#Der..._British_slang

Much of it is inverse snobbery.

I'm speaking english, yes, but I'm drunk and watching Lord of the Rings. Sweet....

ReputationRep:
    I'm speaking english, yes, but I'm drunk and watching Lord of the Rings. Sweet....
    So I'm to understand that you're an alcoholic nerd, then?

ReputationRep:
    You used to be able to read online unofficial guides to each of the Oxford colleges that give you more of a flavour than the official college websites do. Have a mooch around Google and see if there's any joy. I distinctly remember reading the Teddy Hall one and wishing I was going there!

Regarding PG applications as a whole, rather than Oxford specific - make sure you're choosing a university for the right reasons. Like Oriel said, Oxford is very HP like and looks fantastic (well some of the colleges do anyway) but make sure they have got someone who can supervise your research interests and have the resources for the research you want to be doing (one of the reasons that Oriel mentioned about why he's not going back there). It's all very well studying there because it looks nice and it's Oxford, but you've got to consider the wider picture and that includes what you'll be studying & researching.

They've got the ideal resources that I need for my potential MA dissertation but the MSt in History just didn't offer what I wanted to study. Oh and the small fact that I would have never got onto the course anyway!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    You used to be able to read online unofficial guides to each of the Oxford colleges that give you more of a flavour than the official college websites do. Have a mooch around Google and see if there's any joy. I distinctly remember reading the Teddy Hall one and wishing I was going there!
    Teddy Hall's food is affectionately called Ming. I've got some good friends who study / ied at Teddy Hall and socially it's pretty cool. But it does have some downsides!

This goes for them all, btw, they've all got some sort of downside / drawback.

ReputationRep:
    I just liked the whole "Teddy bear's theme tune" thing but I'm sad like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    I just liked the whole "Teddy bear's theme tune" thing but I'm sad like that
    Well, being able to lollop in the graveyard (deconsecrated) whilst revising is a particular bonus of SEH. I spent so much of my last 18 months there that it became a second home basically. That and I was a member of Teddy's chapel choir. Free ming on a sunday!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    OMG Teddy Hall food

KSM, perhaps you mean formal hall - dinner, usually wearing gowns (either over your usual clothes, or while wearing something smart/posh/fancy) - or dinner at high table - where tutors and their guests may eat, above the rabble, sometimes with better food?

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.