The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Sm0kers!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Malsi101
o i get it. its cool to put 0 in it instead init..what with sm0kers being cool and all that

funny guy.

But I dn't think a medical school would reject you because you smoke...when I did my work experience I saw plenty of doctors having a quick fag brake. Its to be expected...the job is one of the most stressful out there.
Reply 21
it would be a bit ironic though learning about how to help prevent disease and you smoke:p:
Reply 22
my dad is a doctor, also has a degree in nutrition.
he's really really overweight.
there's a lot of hypocrisy in medicine, i think.
at the end of the day, patients go to doctors for advice about their own health, not to make the docto follow his/her own advice.
Reply 23
All doctors have some kind of vice that catches them out, like you say its pretty stressful. Its just how much you can keep tabs on it and let it be something you control.
Reply 24
Ironic or what?
Reply 25
anyarian
my dad is a doctor, also has a degree in nutrition.
he's really really overweight.
there's a lot of hypocrisy in medicine, i think.
at the end of the day, patients go to doctors for advice about their own health, not to make the docto follow his/her own advice.

genetic ?
Doctors and Medical Students appear to believe in the old "do as I say and not as I do" approach to things.
Reply 27
hey static-x, seeing as you live in the UAE (dubai? AD?...hatta lol), i don't think your talking about cigarettes are you?? its more of the midwakh,doukha, u no wat im talking about :smile:
Anyway doukha doesn't smell, its goes after about 2 minutes.
But i agree 9/10 teenagers in the UAE smoke, its cheap (about 60p a pack), plus the midwakh doesn't smell at all.

Anyway back to the topic.....I agree with people that it seems a taboo to be part of the healthcare profession and smoke, but its personal choice, if your surrounded by talks,seminar,books,patients that shows how bad smoking is for your health...i think your the only one that can decide, its just a little step up from the health warning on packets.....and at the end of the day, were all humans! (unless you medics think ur better)
Reply 28
The Man111
genetic ?

nope.
he just eats far too much. he knows it, too.
My sister is a smoker and has been one since doing her A-Levels.. she has offers from Kings, Imperial and Queen Marys to do Medicine. Obviously being a smoker has nothing to do with how brilliant she is, so it shouldn't affect you either. Even though personally I would find it really weird if my doctor was a smoker.
Nothing beats getting pi**ed up off your rockers, shirts off in a club, outside in the smoking area chatting shi*n to the locals and gals with a menth or a L+B in your mouth.

That's the only time I touch the stuff, otherwise I never consciously smoke at all.
I'm applying this year, and not a smoker. I can see why some people smoke in medicine because of the stress etc, but it seems all a little contradictory to me :s-smilie:
But my outlet is food or shopping, so I'll probably end up overweight or bankrupt if I get in, so I guess I'm just as bad :p:
Reply 32
kizdxb
hey static-x, seeing as you live in the UAE (dubai? AD?...hatta lol), i don't think your talking about cigarettes are you?? its more of the midwakh,doukha, u no wat im talking about :smile:
Anyway doukha doesn't smell, its goes after about 2 minutes.
But i agree 9/10 teenagers in the UAE smoke, its cheap (about 60p a pack), plus the midwakh doesn't smell at all.

Anyway back to the topic.....I agree with people that it seems a taboo to be part of the healthcare profession and smoke, but its personal choice, if your surrounded by talks,seminar,books,patients that shows how bad smoking is for your health...i think your the only one that can decide, its just a little step up from the health warning on packets.....and at the end of the day, were all humans! (unless you medics think ur better)

oh yeah midwakh and doukha are my life,but i dont think the have it in uk so i didnt mention it...
anyway believe me i cant quit even if i saw my dad dying from smoking:frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending