Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missionpossible)
    lol, so deadlifts and squats is what i should concentrate on? isnt that just mainly for legs though.. what about shoulders chest etc

ive been going gym for a few months now, but i havent really been doing many deadlifts squats, ive mainly done isolated muscle group training like biceps one day with chest , back one day with shoulders etc.. woops
    Find me someone who can deadlift and/or squat a decent amount of weight and I will guarantee they will have a better physique than a curl monkey who only focuses on their biceps and chest, or a beginner who's following a split routine heavily centred around isolation movements.

Splits are good for shaping muscles and targeting specific areas of attention. However if you're a beginner and have little or no muscle to sculpt from the start you would almost certainly be better off doing a heavy full body compound routine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Find me someone who can deadlift and/or squat a decent amount of weight and I will guarantee they will have a better physique than a curl monkey who only focuses on their biceps and chest, or a beginner who's following a split routine heavily centred around isolation movements.

Splits are good for shaping muscles and targeting specific areas of attention. However if you're a beginner and have little or no muscle to sculpt from the start you would almost certainly be better off doing a heavy full body compound routine.
    this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)

agree with everything there.

at what stage of training would you say isolations are ok to use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    agree with everything there.

at what stage of training would you say isolations are ok to use?
    It is pretty impossible to put a figure on. It depends on what your goals are, what you're training for, injuries, time-scale, etc. For the athlete they're pretty unnecessary unless they're required for addressing weaknesses and/or for rehabilitation. In bodybuilding they're more relevant in improving the size and shape of specific muscles without growth of the surrounding musculature that you could experience with compounds, in that sense you could use them at any stage it depends on what weight you want to reach and for most people they will gain muscle and functional strength quicker and for longer on a full body routine.

It's all down to what you want to achieve and the time-scale you have.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.