Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hodgey90)
    yay!, exeter is on the up! 13th now, whereas in the past it was around the 18th/19th marker
    It's 13th in this, 13th in the Times GUG, 14th in the Guardian and 19th in The Independent. It's also the THES University of the Year. This is a bit of a contrast to the past when some papers ranked it nearer 40th. It has also been in the top 10 for student satisfaction since the tables began.

To put thing in perspective, there hasn't been any universal teaching or research assessments in years, so I'm not exactly sure what this table is supposed to be a table of any more (happiness?)

ReputationRep:
    that's weird. In this one SOAS is like 33rd, but in the GUG it's 24, and in the Guardian it's like 9.

League tables confuse me ever so. SOAS ftw :yep:

ReputationRep:
    No University of Liverpool and University of Manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stressworthy)
    I can't believe Manchester isn't in the top 20, when it's apparently in the top 20/30 (I'm quite sure) category for top universities in the world. I mean, obviously I don't take league tables as seriously as some others might, but still... !

It's so under-represented in the Times and Guardian league tables, seriously. More so than other good universities.
    It could be because they offer such a wide range of university subjects, but meh.
    *sigh*

As has been said, many, many times. The RAE scores used in league tables are outdated. This is especially the case with Manchester as they predate the coming together of the two universities to make "University of Manchester" in 2004. Things will no doubt change with the new RAE results.

Also, the THES rankings are something entirely different. Different tables use different measurements and weightings. The THES favours large instiutions such as Manchester (in takes into account number of international students and staff and may give a greater weighting to research, specifically science research - I may be wrong on that though). So that's why Manchester does better in the THES rankings than many of the other top unis.

The Guardian tables are particularly crap. Pay no attention to them. Few other people do.

Also, 21st isn't too bad. The redbricks (Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, Liverpool, Birmingham but not Bristol) and other similar unis like Newcastle are pretty much on the same level. So Manchester's ranking (around Liverpool and Newcastle) is quite accurate (remember the pre-2004 RAE ratings). This may not be the case now as Manchester is the largest research instutition outside of Oxbridge=, this puts a notch up from the remaining redbricks in my book.

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody noticed the stranger extra tables like "best for cricket"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    *sigh*

As has been said, many, many times. The RAE scores used in league tables are outdated. This is especially the case with Manchester as they predate the coming together of the two universities to make "University of Manchester" in 2004. Things will no doubt change with the new RAE results.

Also, the THES rankings are something entirely different. Different tables use different measurements and weightings. The THES favours large instiutions such as Manchester (in takes into account number of international students and staff and may give a greater weighting to research, specifically science research - I may be wrong on that though). So that's why Manchester does better in the THES rankings than many of the other top unis.

The Guardian tables are particularly crap. Pay no attention to them. Few other people do.

Also, 21st isn't too bad. The redbricks (Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, Liverpool, Birmingham but not Bristol) and other similar unis like Newcastle are pretty much on the same level. So Manchester's ranking (around Liverpool and Newcastle) is quite accurate (remember the pre-2004 RAE ratings). This may not be the case now as Manchester is the largest research instutition outside of Oxbridge=, this puts a notch up from the remaining redbricks in my book.
    What is the ranking for University of Liverpool then if i may ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    Has anybody noticed the stranger extra tables like "best for cricket"?
    Or that, yet again, it gives the impression that we don't have universities in the north east and Yorkshire? Or am I just blind? I'm referring to the "search by area" bit.

Is it just me that doesn't think the head teacher ranking should be included? Many of them are out of touch with higher education, some barely know anything anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Van der Zak)
    What is the ranking for University of Liverpool then if i may ask?
    30th. I meant Newcastle and Birmingham actually. Even so, I wouldn't really argue over a few places. Especially as the difference between 20th and 30th isn't significant.

ReputationRep:
    30th. I meant Newcastle and Birmingham actually. Even so, I wouldn't really argue over a few places. Especially as the difference between 20th and 30th isn't significant.
    Oh cheers. That's quite low what about Law?

Rep for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Van der Zak)
    Oh cheers. That's quite low what about Law?

Rep for your help.
    30 out of 120 isn't low at all. It's still very good. The difference between, say, 5 - 12, 12 - 18, 18 - 30 on so on isn't really significant in my view.

I don't really like giving out any rankings. However, for law this is what I generally see them as being. Law is the only area I do this for, don't know why: -

Elite - Oxbridge (gap) UCL, LSE, KCL, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham
    (small gap)
    Manchester, Birmingham, Exeter, Leicester
    (even smaller gap)
    QMUL, SOAS, Newcastle, Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, Hull
    (small gap)
    Cardiff, Sussex, Kent, Lancaster, Southampton, Reading
    (smaller gap)
    Trent, Northumbria, Brookes

And so on (with about another three or four groups and an increasingly insignicant difference between them).

This is a rough grouping, not ranking, and is my opinion only.

I believe the league tables, certainly the Times, ranks Liverpool about 25 - 30 for law.

ReputationRep:
    30 out of 120 isn't low at all. It's still very good. The difference between, say, 5 - 12, 12 - 18, 18 - 30 on so on isn't really significant in my view.

I don't really like giving out any rankings. However, for law this is what I generally see them as being. Law is the only area I do this for, don't know why: -

(small gap)
    (even smaller gap)
    (small gap)
    (smaller gap)

And so on (with about another three or four groups and an increasingly insignicant difference between them).

I believe the league tables, certainly the Times, ranks Liverpool about 25 - 30 for law.
    Cheers for that!

Yh they are ranked 34 I think this year and Sheffield is ranked about 44 or something. Personally I don't pay much attention to league ranking.

ReputationRep:
    WOW!

Loughborough names best university of the year, well done to them!!

ReputationRep:
    Warwick has just thumped UCL in this latest league table. I reckon it would do the same to St Andrews on next year’s ranking game. It would continue to thump a few more unis until it would reach at the very top to equal Oxbridge at least.

Good job Warwick! You're the bomb!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILIGAN)
    Warwick has just thumped UCL in this latest league table. I reckon it would do the same to St Andrews on next year’s ranking game. It would continue to thump a few more unis until it would reach at the very top to equal Oxbridge at least.

Good job Warwick! You're the bomb!
    You mean Warwick (placed seventh) has really thumped UCL (places sixth). Warwick that's only six points behind UCL and four points ahead of Durham?

Right....I know you love Warwick but come on!

Even if you are taking tables literally then that's still not the case. The difference between all of the top unis is not significant. Not generally speaking. Oxbridge will always be Oxbridge and Warwick (or any other uni) will not equal them.

ReputationRep:
    Or that, yet again, it gives the impression that we don't have universities in the north east and Yorkshire? Or am I just blind? I'm referring to the "search by area" bit.

Is it just me that doesn't think the head teacher ranking should be included? Many of them are out of touch with higher education, some barely know anything anyway.
    Given that teaching never used to be a degree-level profession, I'm doubting the capacity of all who voted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    Given that teaching never used to be a degree-level profession, I'm doubting the capacity of all who voted.
    It's obvious, just by looking at the general table and subject specific tables, they generally just go for the big names.

Newcastle 14, Leicester 73

Cardiff 26, Exeter 46

Sheffield 39, Lancaster 52

So go for the usual top ten or so, the traditionally presitgious (Oxbridge, top UoL colleges, Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol) then just pick the big city unis :rolleyes: Exeter? Lancaster? Loughborough? Sussex? Don't really know those,they are quite small, musn't be that good....

I'll never forget seeing Durham in the top five for psychology but not English :rolleyes: There were worse examples than that, it's just one that as a Durham student really stuck in my mind. Most associate it with its prestigious arts and law courses, those in the know realise how good its science and engineering departments are, but some of the social sciences like psychology? What are they on?

Really Iligan, I'm not intersted in arguing about insignificant differences in a league table, but where do you get this nonsense about Warwick "thumping" UCL?

ReputationRep:
    It's obvious, just by looking at the general table and subject specific tables, they generally just go for the big names.

Newcastle 14, Leicester 73

Cardiff 26, Exeter 46

Sheffield 39, Lancaster 52

So go for the usual top ten or so, the traditionally presitgious (Oxbridge, top UoL colleges, Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol) then just pick the big city unis :rolleyes: Exeter? Lancaster? Loughborough? Sussex? Don't really know those,they are quite small, musn't be that good....

I'll never forget seeing Durham in the top five for psychology but not English :rolleyes: There were worse examples than that, it's just one that as a Durham student really stuck in my mind. Most associate it with its prestigious arts and law courses, those in the know realise how good its science and engineering departments are, but some of the social sciences like psychology? What are they on?

Really Iligan, I'm not intersted in arguing about insignificant differences in a league table, but where do you get this nonsense about Warwick "thumping" UCL?
    I agree, it's random as hell. I just don't get why headteachers are asked in the first place (why not employers?!). Headteachers don't see what happens when people come out of university. They are often not the most educated and, when they have degrees, their undergraduate life was 15-30 years ago. They really should ditch the headteacher opinion section.

ReputationRep:

(small gap)
    (even smaller gap)
    (small gap)
    (smaller gap)

Blimey. I know being a Southampton alumnus makes me a little biased but somehow the placement of Hull's LLB over Soton's looks like an aberration, nevermind the proximity of Soton with Trent, Northumbria and Brookes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxchrisxxx)
    Blimey. I know being a Southampton alumnus makes me a little biased but somehow the placement of Hull's LLB over Soton's looks like an aberration, nevermind the proximity of Soton with Trent, Northumbria and Brookes.
    Did you know Brookes and Oxford have a joint law school - the Oxford Institute of Legal Practice (OXILP)? A few months ago if you Googled it you would come up with an Oxford site, but now Brookes seems to be running the admin.

ReputationRep:
    tables are a joke..sheffield, exeter, lancaster, leicester are better than manchester..ok lol

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.