Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    its not too bad, i have hread storyies, but just all i think they are is storyies

i've done it, ok, was with people, only done it a few times, so not the best person to comment on it, there are lights all the footpath, and that also someone walking about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mitchell)
    is the walk back to quays really that bad at night. surely there will be random students wondering around etc so it wont be that scary. also is campus fairly active late at night?
    As I said above, I lived there for two years and never once had a problem, now it only takes one bad night to change the odds I guess. A friend of a friend got mugged once, but it wasn't during term time, and it wasn't that late. He went to the security office, hoping that they had the guys on camera (there are cameras every 20m all the way) but they told him that the cameras werent working. Id like to think that it was just not working on that day because I've always felt safe thinking that the whole path was monitored.
    Seeing as it's the only way to campus (unless you take a detour via Tesco), if there is a venue it's likely that you will meet students on the way.
    It only gets really quiet over the holidays but overall Id say its pretty safe, just dont walk around with a laptop at night.
    Oh and there is also a minibus going to uni at night but sadly it isnt free and costs £1.
    And to answer your other question, campus is fairly active late at night, most venues end at 3 and there are always parties in flats, people in computer labs all night etc.

ReputationRep:
    so anyone can access this footpath like members of the public use it etc... best avoid walking alone then. im probably just worrying too much.
    minibus sounds a pretty good idea you say it goes to uni does it offer a lift back too?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's the thing, although there shouldn't be anybody from the public really, seeing as this path leads to the quays only, technically anybody can have access to it.
    The minibus is a good plan, it runs hourly every night during term time and you buy tickets directly form the driver. It starts at 9pm I think and the last one is at 2am? (not sure about that) and yes it goes back and forth, there is a stop right outside the Quays and for the way back you can catch it outside Subzero, under the Podia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mitchell)
    is the walk back to quays really that bad at night. surely there will be random students wondering around etc so it wont be that scary. also is campus fairly active late at night?
    I have walked back, even pretty much crawled back countless number of times to quays with mates,other people very early in the morning(3/4am). I can say I have never had a problem. Get a bicycle if you dont want to spend on minibuses.

ReputationRep:
    i won't take antibiotices for a cold
    I am used to taking amoxicillin for my flu, because it's normally accompanied with a severe throat infection.

I might go to the hospital today and get a flu vaccine (that should save me a lot of trouble).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beesan)
    Alright, thanks. I'll be as careful as I can be.

Well, actually it wasn't :o: but thanks for the comment cumu;I wasn't aware of that at all. Is carrying a Swiss knife (or even a kitchen knife) illegal? :dontknow:

I only thought about carrying one for self-defense, but I won't do it if it's a sensitive issue.
    Carrying any knife in the UK is illegal and you could possibly be removed from the university if they caught you with one. It can happen, security can ask to check your bags/purse before entering clubs or venues. You won't need a knife, or pepper spray (also illegal I think) it is a very light and safe atmosphere. If you want to feel safe buy a personal alarm.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to feel safe buy a personal alarm.
    I am considering buying one. Are there any shops that sell them on campus? I don't know where to find them here.

ReputationRep:
    amoxicillin works, the flu vaccine works as well, but you can get the flu cos of it and its not 100%

as a fresher living in hall your going to get ill in the first week, most people do, get the freshers flu, which is just like a cold

try looking online, play.com maybe, places like that, i dunno about shop never needed one :p:

ReputationRep:
    I guess getting the Freshers' flu is not so bad, but let's hope my immune system won't let me down for the rest of the year :o:

Play.com looks good; I might buy more than just a personal alarm from there.

I have another question (and I hope it's not silly), but I sometimes download movies using emule and bittorrent, and I am wondering if I'll get in trouble because of this?

ReputationRep:
    lol, the amount of people that downloaded stuff last year, and the uni did't even mine, only 2 rules, don't get a viruse, don't get caught getting caught is hard :p:

you may have dc++ running that a downloading thing as well, which is good,

torrents i did it, i knew loads that did it, unless they change the rules, you could only download torrenets and that between the hours of 7pm and 7am, so over night downloading, don't worry about leaving your laptop or computer on, as it can reamain on for about a week, before it needs restarting to reset the ram, i used to do it, shut down me laptop and harddrive once a week

ReputationRep:
    DC++ was an absolute Godsend in my first year. Torrents didn't work when I was living in the Towers, but I remember going down to the Labs a few times and downloading films using a torrent program.

Still, DC++ gives you speeds of upwards of 1MB/sec, so you can download a film in under 10 minutes. There's a shedload of stuff on there. I think I downloaded close to 1TB of data over the course of the year! Sometimes people are a bit iffy about giving the IP out online, but if you go onto the Essex Student forums, it can usually be obtained with a PM.

I must've given the IP out to about half of Eddington Tower in my first year. I set my entire flat up with it and a few others too :p: Needless to say, I was sad to be DC-less when I moved out of University accomodation.

The labs are great for downloading, too. I used Rapidshare in the labs and had speeds of almost 10MB/sec. I thought the techies would give me a warning for it but I never heard anything. I remember downloading a brand new PC game in about 20 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    What's DC++? I googled it but I didn't understand how it works

Is it like bittorent?

And what do you mean by the IP asdasta? And how come you are DC-less now? (Is DC++ valid only for university accommodation?)

you could only download torrenets and that between the hours of 7pm and 7am
    Can the university tell if you are downloading something? :confused:

I sometimes download things from youtube (using realplayer); does the timing rule apply to youtube as well?

ReputationRep:
    yes the uni can :p:

they when they opened up the ports to download

realplayer youtube work all the time

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

I won't be downloading much anyway

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys , iam new student and im coming tomorrow in Essex , i want to know which autobus i must take to go from the city of Essex at the University Campus of Essex . Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GInfU)
    Hello guys , iam new student and im coming tomorrow in Essex , i want to know which autobus i must take to go from the city of Essex at the University Campus of Essex . Thanks
    You can take from North Station, bus number 62

Take a look on this website, to see bus timetables: http://www.essexcc.gov.uk/microsites/travel/public.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GInfU)
    Essex isn't a city, it's a county. The town is called Colchester.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.