Turn on thread page Beta

my plan for uni (gym) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missionpossible)

monday - do chest exercises and triceps
    tuesday - biceps and squats + leg exercises
    wed - shoulders
    thurs - back and deadlifts (and do a little chest stuff because by now it should have recovered)
    fri - shoulders and biceps

what do you guys think??
    This is a mess. I don't like splits anyway, I think they're a complete waste of time and make no scientific sense, since you never just use your back in any "back" exercise, etc, etc. Muscle is like a sheet, covering the whole body. You can't target specific body parts anymore than you can target the products of a digested protein shake solely into your "guns", or whatever else people come up with sometimes.
    So, Intricate splits aren't great from the off, but yours is just random, even for a split. You're pairing similar groups with chest and triceps, but then suddenly it's biceps and legs.

I'd honestly recommend a 3x a week routine, using compound lifts which have already been posted, working the full body in a session. You don't need bicep curls for now, defo not at this stage. Unfortunately you might not be able to avoid doing them, because you're stuck in the addictive rut of the "bicep pump", but in the long run this is useless. I don't know how long it will take you to stop the bicep curl pump addiction, but sooner rather than later would be best.
    If you don't like the above idea, another good one is Upper/lower, 4x a week (two upper and two lower in a week). Or if you really insist on a split, at least perhaps Push/pull/legs.

One thing that can be said is if you're doing the exercises correctly, and you do some good mass-building compound exercises each time you're in the gym as 95% of your routine, you sure as hell won't be able to keep it up on 5 consecutive days.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure you can target stuff with weights, if all I did was squats then my legs would be massive... However compounds will always be better and much more time efficient.

ReputationRep:
    incorporate a leg workout in what ever plan you choose! i didnt see a single decent primary leg exercise in your post op! squats, bench press and deadlifts are the main 3 you should be doing!

for your bicep question, hammer curls and barbell curls are you best option. But i think it would be good for you to know you should work out all muscle groups equally which will prevent you from looking "out of shape" from other unworked muscle groups (eg ive got a friend who heavily works on biceps, but leaves the triceps ignored. the result? odd looking arms and him complaining how small his arms look from the side)

ReputationRep:
    Even the "out of shape" thing only goes so far though. Some people actually find it alluring to have massive biceps to everywhere else, and then be "out of shape" or "unproportioned", and want to strive for a small frame but huge "guns". Even this isn't exactly practical, and you won't get too far with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transatlanticdrawl_)
    This is a mess. I don't like splits anyway, I think they're a complete waste of time and make no scientific sense, since you never just use your back in any "back" exercise, etc, etc. Muscle is like a sheet, covering the whole body. You can't target specific body parts anymore than you can target the products of a digested protein shake solely into your "guns", or whatever else people come up with sometimes.
    So, Intricate splits aren't great from the off, but yours is just random, even for a split. You're pairing similar groups with chest and triceps, but then suddenly it's biceps and legs.

I'd honestly recommend a 3x a week routine, using compound lifts which have already been posted, working the full body in a session. You don't need bicep curls for now, defo not at this stage. Unfortunately you might not be able to avoid doing them, because you're stuck in the addictive rut of the "bicep pump", but in the long run this is useless. I don't know how long it will take you to stop the bicep curl pump addiction, but sooner rather than later would be best.
    If you don't like the above idea, another good one is Upper/lower, 4x a week (two upper and two lower in a week). Or if you really insist on a split, at least perhaps Push/pull/legs.

One thing that can be said is if you're doing the exercises correctly, and you do some good mass-building compound exercises each time you're in the gym as 95% of your routine, you sure as hell won't be able to keep it up on 5 consecutive days.

(sorry for my ignorance)..
    so i should do compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press row etcc)

question: so i should do e..g monday deadlifts and rowing

next day.. squat and bench

isnt this too little to do ? or can i do these compound exercises first ( get them out the way) then maybe do other non-compound stuff

im guessing doing 5 sets of squats and bench wont take tooo long . and i dont really wnat to do 10 sets and get out of there.. im used to spending 2 hours in the gym (and as to now not doing enough compound exercises)

ReputationRep:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

follow this if you want a 3x a week full body workout.

if you warm up and rest properly between sets, which you will need to do, it should take a good 45 minutes. Remember to warm up and give your technique serious attention. Not doing these probably screwed my squat progression, or maybe it was because I used a Smith machine and was duly pwned for ******ry.

another tried and tested template would be Westside for Skinny *******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by made_of_fail)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

follow this if you want a 3x a week full body workout.

if you warm up and rest properly between sets, which you will need to do, it should take a good 45 minutes. Remember to warm up and give your technique serious attention. Not doing these probably screwed my squat progression, or maybe it was because I used a Smith machine and was duly pwned for ******ry.

another tried and tested template would be Westside for Skinny *******s.
    thanks for that link.. i think i need a personal trainer to make sure i got the proper technique though lol some of those compounds look complicated!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for that link.. i think i need a personal trainer to make sure i got the proper technique though lol some of those compounds look complicated!
    Look at videos on net, and read up on technique. You dont need a personal trainer, noone else has one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova2)
    Look at videos on net, and read up on technique. You dont need a personal trainer, noone else has one.
    To be fair, learning power cleans is pretty hard, but if you did the standard replacement of bent over rows, granted you can learn technique without a trainer.

ReputationRep:
    (sorry for my ignorance)..
    so i should do compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press row etcc)

question: so i should do e..g monday deadlifts and rowing

next day.. squat and bench

isnt this too little to do ? or can i do these compound exercises first ( get them out the way) then maybe do other non-compound stuff

im guessing doing 5 sets of squats and bench wont take tooo long . and i dont really wnat to do 10 sets and get out of there.. im used to spending 2 hours in the gym (and as to now not doing enough compound exercises)
    2 Hours is too long. You're either spending ages doing nothing, or doing lots of stuff that isn't very taxing. You've gotta get in there, hit it hard and get out. Apparantly weight lifting sessions longer than around 1 hour start to encourage catabolism, ie the opposite of anabolism which is your friend.
    I know it doesn't seem like 5 sets of squats and bench are alot, and you're partly right. You could do with perhaps 1 or 2 more exercises there aswell. But seriously, no more than about 15 good sets of a compound exercise in one session. It's easy talking about doing loads of sets for 2 hours, but once you get going on something like :

Workout 1:
    5x5 Squats
    5x5 Bench Press
    5x5 Bench over row (barbell)

You'll be exhausted. And not forgetting that 5 reps doesn't mean 5 reps of any weight, but 5 challenging reps, with a challenging weight.

Sometimes I change rep numbers about, to avoid a plateu. Ie I might do the above on Monday of one week, and the next week when I repeat the workout, I might do

Workout 2:
    4x8 Squats
    4x8 Bench Press
    4x8 Bent Over Row

Now get out there and do the above "Workout 1" example. You'll quickly see that you don't need hundreds of sets to feel satisfied, and chances you'll ache like hell in the morning if you've never done alot of compound exercises. But keep at it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 23, 2008
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.