Turn on thread page Beta

Trouble making friends in halls watch

Announcements

(Original post by jismith1989)
    Well, I'd wander with you, but I doubt that you're at Manchester.
    Just moved from Manchester...wish i'd stayed it would have been sooo much easier i swear! Ta for your help!:cool:

ReputationRep:
    If they are being difficult keep making the effort but don't restrict yourself to the flat. Go for a walk around the building you are bound to bump into someone. If not then go onto campus (one of the main buildings) and get talking to people there. From my experiance everyone is really friendly during freshers week and will talk to you. Maybe have a look for when the next night out it. Most universities have things going on most nights so maybe try and get on an organised pub crawl or society gathering depending on what you prefer.

I'm sorry things haven't got off to the best start but keep trying things will get better

ReputationRep:
    How scared about halls is this thread making me...

I like the alcohol idea and being in the kitchen... Get a bottle and some mixers and start making cookies/cakes/something that smells good to get them into the kitchen, ask if they want a drink and then suggest going to the pub later?

ReputationRep:
    I wooed people with a nice big box of Quality Street and good music.

I may take up smoking then i can go hang out in the smokers' area outside. I've already tried going up and down in the lift a few times a day but i think people may think i'm a **** if i continue with that...

ReputationRep:
    I cannot think of anything more small minded than going off to uni and not meeting new people. Meeting new people is kinda the whole point and no offence to my friends now they're amazing, but it would be so boring if you just kept hanging out with the same people. Isn't uni meant to be a fresh start, new experiences and all that?

I think the baking idea sounds really good, people will like you if you have food, and everyone loves cookies! Plus at least then you won't be waiting around twiddling your thumbs.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I may take up smoking then i can go hang out in the smokers' area outside. I've already tried going up and down in the lift a few times a day but i think people may think i'm a **** if i continue with that...

sorry to hear about your problems

smoking is NOT the answer my sweet :p:

just wait it out until your course starts if your finding it hard to introduce yourself to people, its still early days, your flat mates will come around, if they don't then they're just weird, but yeah like others have said...bake a cake hehe

Cheers for all the advice guys!
    Good news ...i'm going out tonight and i've literally forced the guy in the room next to me to come to register with me tomorrow! yay success!

ReputationRep:
    You could take up 'fake' smoking, just buy a pack and smoke occasionally to meet people; smokers tend to have addictive personalities and are quite talkative...you could even try some 'smirting' (google it!).

ReputationRep:
    I am in this situation aswell; I'm stuck in my room watching Dave most of the time and when I do go out I look like a sad act because I'm on my own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ms500)
    I am in this situation aswell; I'm stuck in my room watching Dave most of the time and when I do go out I look like a sad act because I'm on my own.
    :hugs: same! I cried a lot yesterday and got started again when I thought about my parents giving me a cup of tea every morning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Botticello)
    :hugs: same! I cried a lot yesterday and got started again when I thought about my parents giving me a cup of tea every morning
    Me too. I actually like being alone though; it can get depressing at times though. However, the amount of Latin and Ancient Greek work I have to do is enough to depress me alone! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem, although I'm not actually in uni, only going next year. But I live in a shared flat with two other girls, who well have their own lives. One has a job and friends, the other goes to uni and has friends. When I first moved in I kept my door open, but these two other girls they shut and locked their doors!

To be honest, if you're always having to make the effort, and they don't take an interest then it's not worth the effort. I mean of course be nice, and social when they're around, but other than that don't bother. I'm sure the new girl will be more than happy to see a friendly face, so no doubt you'll have a friend there.
    As for making friends, just stick it out until wednesday. Luckily I was able to make some friends who don't live in my building, so that's been great So i don't doubt you'll make friends when you start uni.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.