Turn on thread page Beta

Immense wealth or a family? watch

• View Poll Results: What would you choose?
    Wealthiest person in the world but with no family or friends
    36.90%
    Family and friends but a really, really low income
    63.10%

ReputationRep:
    1. I'm not that bothered about company really, it never lives up to what one expects.
    I like freedom too.

ReputationRep:
    I could easily live on 9k a year. Bring on the friends and good times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jodie_lee)
    but you could always make the effort the earn more money
    If someone is old enough to have a family and earns just £9,000, then it's likely they're extremely unskilled and probably mentally retarded; i doubt it's as easy as 'putting more effort in', especially with a family to support.

I'm also pretty sure even the lowest jobs pay more than £9,000/year.

I choose option #1 becuase most of the issues can be easily resolved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Because there's a lot of middle class students on here who probably think living on 9k is more like the lifestyle on 16k*. Not saying there's nobody else but my ****** detector is kind of ringing pretty loud right now.

Jodie Lee - the question specifies how much you earn, you can't change that or else the exercise is a waste of time.

*Bit like Nick Clegg thinking you can live on £30 a week
    £30 a week after rent? Completely doable.
    It is possible. No, you won't be going on holiday every year, and you might have to save for any luxuries; that's how I live now, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'd much rather have love than money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForMyOwnGain)
    If someone is old enough to have a family and earns just £9,000, then it's likely they're extremely unskilled and probably mentally retarded; i doubt it's as easy as 'putting more effort in', especially with a family to support.

God I'm so sorry but I just couldn't help but laugh at that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    £30 a week after rent? Completely doable.
    It is possible. No, you won't be going on holiday every year, and you might have to save for any luxuries; that's how I live now, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'd much rather have love than money.
    Ok lets say the pensioner owns their house. Not true for all of them but its a reasonable assumption.

Gas, electric, water, food, transport (mandatory to a certain degree for food), council tax, occasional repairs/replacements - Still think £30 a week is enough?

EDIT: All this is after rent, it makes no such implication in the original question....rent prices in my area now is impossible. It's about £500 a month according to my mum for the cheapest places

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Ok lets say the pensioner owns their house. Not true for all of them but its a reasonable assumption.

Gas, electric, water, food, transport (mandatory to a certain degree for food), council tax, occasional repairs/replacements - Still think £30 a week is enough?
    Where're we getting onto pensioners and owning houses exactly?
    I was talking about what I would prefer; not what every pensioner currently alive would prefer.

ReputationRep:
    neither....i'll choose God....you can have all the money in the world and have a family, but without God you will never be truly happy and satisfied in life...

ReputationRep:

Okay fair enough, but if you are going to say people could never earn more, then surely the issues involved with 1 can't be rectified either ie. you'll be a complete bloody loner for the rest of your life? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Family and friends. No money.

Easy choice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming "happiness" comes under #2, which is why I voted for it.
    if #1 makes me equally happy - hell, moneys good :P
    but yeah, after thinking about it alot.. #2.

ReputationRep:
    If I could keep the family I already have, just not get any new family (e.g. no children) then I'd go for the money. If I couldn't keep my Mum etc then I'd have to go for the family option.

ReputationRep:
    Where're we getting onto pensioners and owning houses exactly?
    I was talking about what I would prefer; not what every pensioner currently alive would prefer.
    Sorry the pensioners came from the nick clegg £30 thing. Bit of a jump to make without being explicit to be fair. I understand that you would probably prefer that but I think a lot of the yes's are coming from people who probably haven't even lived away from home yet and/or don't understand how little 9k a year is when you've got to pay for rent and all the other expenditures I've listed. You won't starve to death by any means, its just easier to say you can climb the mountain when you're stood at the base of it.

ReputationRep:
    The money and power, please.

For one, I wouldn't have a family if I was ridiculously poor - I would want to be economically stable and able to provide for any wife or children I had.

At least with the money, I could happily devote my time to doing good with that money, fiddling about and having fun.

How many are 'virtually no friends'? I'd be happy with one or two if they were good friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jodie_lee)
    Okay fair enough, but if you are going to say people could never earn more, then surely the issues involved with 1 can't be rectified either ie. you'll be a complete bloody loner for the rest of your life? :p:
    No, becuase i think a family earning just £9,000/year would have so many more issues to deal with before they're able to earn more; such as qualifications, child care and intelligence.

I think someone worth £170 million would have many more opportunies to resolve their issues.

Also, the first example is relatively uncommon compared to the second. I can imagine there being a lot of families earning not much more than £9,000, but not many loner millionaires.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Sorry the pensioners came from the nick clegg £30 thing. Bit of a jump to make without being explicit to be fair. I understand that you would probably prefer that but I think a lot of the yes's are coming from people who probably haven't even lived away from home yet and/or don't understand how little 9k a year is when you've got to pay for rent and all the other expenditures I've listed. You won't starve to death by any means, its just easier to say you can climb the mountain when you're stood at the base of it.

I see what you mean; I just think that it's a bit strange to assume that most of the people here don't know the value of money, based purely on the fact that they've chosen option two; but fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    No, becuase i think a family earning just £9,000/year would have so many more issues to deal with before they're able to earn more; such as qualifications, child care and intelligence.

I think someone worth £170 million would have many more opportunies to resolve their issues.

Also, the first example is relatively uncommon compared to the second. I can imagine there being a lot of families earning not much more than £9,000, but not many loner millionaires.
    Just wondering; why do you think the amount of money you have affects your intelligence; or, in this day and age, your qualifications?

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering; why do you think the amount of money you have affects your intelligence; or, in this day and age, your qualifications?
    I think there's a lot of correlation between qualifications/intelligence and someone's income.

I don't mean purely on IQ tests/A-levels etc; I appreciate the skills/mindset many entrepreneurs have.

ReputationRep:
    Post this in the Investment Banking (Careers) thread, and see how different their answers are.

ReputationRep:
    Become rich - buy friends - the wife and kids will be no problem.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.