The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Aw guys it sucks that you aren't enjoying it :frown: but you have only been here three days. Loads of people get homesick but it does improve! Especially when lectures and clubs / societies start up!
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 21
Im in Tuke
Reply 22
Honestly guys, I know it's hard being homesick and not getting on with the people you're living with etc, but try to talk yourself into giving it at least a few weeks. Once your course starts and you join societies you'll be with tonnes of other like-minded people and it won't matter if you're best friends with your flatmates or not because you'll know so many other people! Just remember, you didn't choose to be with who you're living with, you just have to get on with them. Proper friends will come in time. Oh and don't worry about having the ultimate Fresher's Week, it's generally over-rated anyway. Just try to enjoy yourselves as much as you possibly can and don't make any rash decisions before you've seriously thought about it. Remember, it's possible to change your course within the uni itself (if it's a question of if you're thinking you chose the wrong course).

By the way, I dropped out of uni two years ago so I know exactly how you guys are feeling... I'm really enjoying RH now though :smile:
clallen2
Like i had a bit of a breakdown today. i was on the phone this morning to my sis in tears (as i was the day b4 but this time worse) to the point where i had to ask her to come down here. I got really upset and my mum and sis kinda forced me to go see one of the councillors in founders. she was really nice and ive decided to stick it out till tommorrow at least with the induction and that but i really feel as though this isnt the place for me. Im really quite, shy and not confident and i dont drink or club so its hard. so are u not a student here anymore or have just decided to go home??

I've indefinitely left for good, yes.
Wow, if all you homesick people drop out (not that I'm encouraging it) I may actually not have to commute 3 hours today and guess what? MY CAR BRKE DOWN. I AM NOT LYING.
Dropped off the little brother to school and now am sorting out a mechanic. I'm so stressed. First day and this is what happens!! :frown:
Reply 25
:smile:
dont worry... i have already lost my national ID and accomodation contract :smile: one each day... but Im not dropping out :smile:
Reply 26
spacecowboy_89
I've indefinitely left for good, yes.

im leaving too. ive decided. I went to speak to someone about it today and their going to send me an email about what i have to do for it to be official and what have you. Im just packing now.
lulu1
Honestly guys, I know it's hard being homesick and not getting on with the people you're living with etc, but try to talk yourself into giving it at least a few weeks. Once your course starts and you join societies you'll be with tonnes of other like-minded people and it won't matter if you're best friends with your flatmates or not because you'll know so many other people! Just remember, you didn't choose to be with who you're living with, you just have to get on with them. Proper friends will come in time. Oh and don't worry about having the ultimate Fresher's Week, it's generally over-rated anyway. Just try to enjoy yourselves as much as you possibly can and don't make any rash decisions before you've seriously thought about it. Remember, it's possible to change your course within the uni itself (if it's a question of if you're thinking you chose the wrong course).

By the way, I dropped out of uni two years ago so I know exactly how you guys are feeling... I'm really enjoying RH now though :smile:

Hi Lulu, was wondering what you did on both your gap years and whether you have friends of the same age during your first year at Royal Holloway?
Reply 28
Hey clallen2, don't leave just yet! I know it's difficult but just give it a few more days, you might end up regretting it later otherwise.

I felt the exact same way as you when I started on Saturday, but it's got a lot better for me recently and I've made a load of friends and I'm not exactly the most confident person in the world either. I'm staying in Kingswood, which is like... soooo far away, so that just makes it even worse! :P

Could meet up if you wanted to talk to someone :yep: might make it a little bit better!
Reply 29
Ryota
Hey clallen2, don't leave just yet! I know it's difficult but just give it a few more days, you might end up regretting it later otherwise.

I felt the exact same way as you when I started on Saturday, but it's got a lot better for me recently and I've made a load of friends and I'm not exactly the most confident person in the world either. I'm staying in Kingswood, which is like... soooo far away, so that just makes it even worse! :P

Could meet up if you wanted to talk to someone :yep: might make it a little bit better!

Thanks, but i really feel that im doing the right thing. Like, when people make their ucas application they choose whether there going to go close to home or not. i choose in the middle but ive now changed my mind. A bit late i no. Im a real family girl. i dont want to miss birthdays and stuff. Evenings in front of the telly wiv a take away. everyday convos with the people at home. my nieces first day at nursery etc. im used to being part of it all and i dnt wana change that. :smile:
Reply 30
spacecowboy_89
Hi Lulu, was wondering what you did on both your gap years and whether you have friends of the same age during your first year at Royal Holloway?

Well gap year no.1 consisted of going to a music college in Brighton for three months, which I absolutely hated... I made completely the wrong choice a) to go to the college itself and then b) to study music (it wasn't even like it was a proper music course anyway... I was basically doing a degree in singing, and modern stuff at that).

So yes, left that in Dec '06 but spent the rest of that year living in Brighton (I wasn't in Halls, I was in a flat with two friends who also were at the music college) working at the Theatre Royal down there, which was fantastic, I still really miss that place. I then thought about re-applying to a uni, but to study English instead... but at school I hadn't worked hard at all and only got CCD at A Level, so I knew that if I was going to go back to uni, I'd want to get those grades up! So I moved back in with my parents and spent gap year no.2 at my local college doing just that. Turns out RH rejected me for English and offered me European Lit instead, which is fantastic so I don't mind that at all!

In terms of meeting people around my age... I've met a fair few actually. Many people have taken just the one gap year but others have taken two, sometimes three so I haven't found it a problem. When I went back to college I was with very young people a lot of the time which I found much harder. At least here everyone is over 18! God, sorry this is so long...
Reply 31
Well I'm gonna put this out there now. My flat (Tuke Block E, Level 3, Flat B) is the friendliest bunch of people you're ever going to meet, and if you're feeling homesick or scared or anything, contact me or come over and meet us. We had some people over from founders last night who hadn't found anyone to hang out with and they were awesome and we spent the whole night playing card games and watching movies etc.

It doesn't have to include booze or anything awkward, just people getting to know eachother and having fun. Remember that you're not alone here. There are over 3000 people just like you, even if it might not seem like it. We're in one huge boat!

So come over if you're feeling lost and alone, we play the beach boys and generally just have a good time (when we're sober).

Hope to see some of you soon!

Latest

Trending

Trending