Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible&Proud)
    Gah. "A Grain of Wheat" sent me to sleep. 200 odd pages but it was like wading through concrete. Please tell me his other books are better?
    I'm actually mentioning him so I can discuss his views on post-colonial literature, rather than because I'm a fan of his work. Decolonizing The Mind is good in my opinion (I disagree with most his views, but I can accept that the writing's good). His short stories are incredibly repetitive - in each one (pretty much), the terrible colonialist dies after trying to convert the natives to Christianity. Ugh. So in short, I find him a controversial character and that is why I am mentioning him.

ReputationRep:
    iirc (because this was 3 years ago) the only authors i mentioned by name on my personal statement were jack kerouac and henry rollins. i got in. so i wouldn't worry too much about your reference points 'not being oxford enough'. its more about what you have to say about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peanutbutternjelly)
    I'm actually mentioning him so I can discuss his views on post-colonial literature, rather than because I'm a fan of his work. Decolonizing The Mind is good in my opinion (I disagree with most his views, but I can accept that the writing's good). His short stories are incredibly repetitive - in each one (pretty much), the terrible colonialist dies after trying to convert the natives to Christianity. Ugh. So in short, I find him a controversial character and that is why I am mentioning him.
    Fair dos. I really like him as a person, it's just his writing...makes me want to claw out my eyes? Or something.

Kenya ey? I worked in Mombasa for a bit last year. Good times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible&Proud)
    Fair dos. I really like him as a person, it's just his writing...makes me want to claw out my eyes? Or something.

Kenya ey? I worked in Mombasa for a bit last year. Good times.
    Ugh, I don't like him much as a person. He just seems hypocritical and naive to me - he tried to shut down the English faculty at the university of nairobi in 1968 and failed, obviously. It's nice to have opinions but he's way too extreme for my liking. I just find it ironic that he spent years in university studying English Lit and is now complaining about African writers writing in English and students studying English.. But that is exactly what he did.

What work were you doing in Mombasa?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peanutbutternjelly)
    Ugh, I don't like him much as a person. He just seems hypocritical and naive to me - he tried to shut down the English faculty at the university of nairobi in 1968 and failed, obviously. It's nice to have opinions but he's way too extreme for my liking. I just find it ironic that he spent years in university studying English Lit and is now complaining about African writers writing in English and students studying English.. But that is exactly what he did.

What work were you doing in Mombasa?
    Meh. I don’t know the intricacies of his life. To me, he doesn’t shirk away from important issues (role of the English language in ex-colonies, inequality, independence). Naive? ill-thought through? probably. I just like people who stick their neck out regardless. Fools and idealistic dreamers. Just wish he could do so in a…readable format!

I was working for a local CBO in Mombasa. Learnt lots. Mostly Swahili rap songs and how bureaucracies make me want to bang my head on a wall. Repeatedly.

ReputationRep:
    I've found that in my personal statement I have tended to focus more on the authors/ poets/ playwrights that I enjoy, rather than talking about myself. Is this ok? I'm just really not all that interesting.

ReputationRep:
    That's fine...As long as you demonstrate you're analytical skills. They don't really care what you're like as a person - just want you to be up to scratch academically and IMHO the best way to do this is by showing your extra/further reading interests.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.