Turn on thread page Beta

Ricky Gervais watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Unfunny. You can't spell Ricky Gervais Is Unfunny without Unfunny.

ReputationRep:
    Standup wise I think the black american legends are the best - chappelle, eddy murphy, chris rock

ReputationRep:
    a) lee evans is brilliant
    b) don't mind gervais, just don't like his stand up. office was good though and he's generally quite funny in interviews/behind the scenes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by struz)
    Can't stand him. Russell Howard is bloody good too.

seconded

:love: russell howard

ReputationRep:
    Ricky Gervais is definitely over rated. I don't know why so many people like him. Sure, some of his stuff is a bit funny, but coming from him, the way he presents his jokes, I just don't find him funny at all. There are far better comedians out there, some of which are highly under rated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Ahem.
    Hmmm. I will be sure to check this bad boy out.

ReputationRep:
    Gervais is a genius. His stand-up is superb, he's a fantastic actor, the podcasts and XFM radio shows are hilarious, and he's co-written 2 of the best comedies in the past 10 years. I love the bloke, he's bloody hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    Who likes Ricky Gervais (as in all his stuff) I think he is reeeally overated and annoying. His stand up is poor in my view and he uses the same gags again and again.
    :ditto:

I am not a fan. I think he is very overated. The Office was funny, so was Extras as a writer he is very good. As a stand-up and actor he is disapointing to the point of being annoying.

I much prefer his American counterpart on the Office. (Awaits the abuse).

ReputationRep:
    Office - masterpiece.
    Extras - brilliant.
    XFM - effortlessly funny.
    Podcasts - hilarious over and over again.

Stand up - weak.

ReputationRep:
    He's a great stand-up and an amazing comic writer.

ReputationRep:
    His writing and acting in The Office was superb, but I don't think he's a natural stand-up comedian. He's good at improvising in his radio shows and podcasts, but, on stage, there's just something wrong that I can't quite put my finger on.

Oh, and Profesh is right, Stewart Lee is, without a doubt, the best stand-up comedian around right now.

ReputationRep:
    Animals and Politics were VERY funny but Fame? I don't know I think that even in his deliberate arrogance he was embarrassing and it just wasn't that good, imo. I'm firmly in the camp of LOVING The Office and not reaaaally being a fan of Extras.

ReputationRep:
    I think his stand-ups are in a steady decline since animals, however you cant really top animals :rofl:

His comedys such as the office is arguably the best show made!

Podcasts are top, even if they lost the way by charging for them, how come no one has mentioned Karl Pilkington yet?

and talk about over-rated? Lee Evans... *no need to say more*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Room)
    I think his stand-ups are in a steady decline since animals, however you cant really top animals :rofl:

His comedys such as the office is arguably the best show made!

Podcasts are top, even if they lost the way by charging for them, how come no one has mentioned Karl Pilkington yet?

and talk about over-rated? Lee Evans... *no need to say more*
    I agree with Lee Evans also being over rated, but I still find him funny, Gervais I just don't.

ReputationRep:
    Sickk!!!!

ReputationRep:
    he is one of my favourite people ever.

he's a real guy. the sort of person i would be mates with. reasonably intelligent, middle class (well ish), super immature, always laughing, knows when to and when not to take **** seriously.

whether people like it or not, what he does is brilliant. all these records and awards arent a fluke. just about everything in media that he has done has won awards and broken records.

steve is just as good.

karl is just on another planet. legend for soooo many different reasons, haha!

ReputationRep:
    I think he's hilarious. The xfm shows made me collapse in fits of laughter several times. I actually put them on my mp3 player but had to get rid of them in the end because I just couldn't stop laughing. The Office was exceptional as was series 1 of Extras. Series 2 wasn't as good His podcasts are amazing but I actually think Steve Merchant comes across as the superior talent (when he talks about his holiday to the Rio Carnival ).

I actually love Green Wing too. It takes a while to get into it but once you do it's amazing. Sue White and Martin are hilarious

ReputationRep:
    he's good I liked his stand up the other night.

ReputationRep:
    I find most of his stuff ridiculously unfunny, however he has his moments of brilliance.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.