The Voting Age Watch

jonathan122
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Holydodo)
Do you think that the voting age in Britain needs to be lowered?

I think that the voting age of 18 leaves young people marginalized in politics. I remember reading a (daily mail) headline recently that the government spends more per head on prison food than it does school dinners. The difference between criminals and schoolchildren? Criminals can vote.

Thoughts?
Prisoners can't vote in the UK (unlike most EU countries).
flugestuge
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jonathan122)

Thank god !
Dont want rapists and murderers voting .
TI-84
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
There should be a small and quite easy test one has to pass before they can vote. There should be no age limit for this test. The reasoning is this: if you're going to have a say in what government we get, you must actually know a thing or two about governments. People who don't have the faintest clue about things - Daily Mail or The Sun readers, for instance - shouldn't have a say because if they do their opinion becomes important. And if their opinion is important then politicians will pander to them, and we get a dumbing down of politics...

I'd say the Lib Dems should propose this: 15-17 year olds getting a vote could double their support.
your idea was looking really positive.
I like the fact that you should make everyone actually sit a test to make them eligible to vote.
MichaelG
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Holydodo)
Do you think that the voting age in Britain needs to be lowered?

I think that the voting age of 18 leaves young people marginalized in politics. I remember reading a (daily mail) headline recently that the government spends more per head on prison food than it does school dinners. The difference between criminals and schoolchildren? Criminals can vote.

Thoughts?

Politicians will not lower the age simply because its a turnout issue.

If you low the voting age, you get an even higher percentage of low turnout, which makes an appointed government more illegitmate/questionable.
gamer91
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
thats actually quite a disgusting attitude.

I thought we had a labour government.
Holydodo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Prisoners can't but once you've served your time you can vote away, unless you've been convicted of electoral malpractice in which case you're barred for 5 years. Still kinda shoots down my prison food argument goddammit.

Interestingly the only other people that can't vote are madmen and members of the house of lords.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads