The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Mr M
Well in mathematics applications, further mathematicians take II and III. I get the impression from Matt that that would not be the case for engineering.

They mention on the cambridge website that they "strongly recommend engineering applicants to take a-level further maths" and hence students with a-level further maths would not be asked to do STEP.
Reply 21
OP, i got 266 UMS in AS Maths and a 1 in STEP I and 2 in STEP II. You don't have to have outrageously high UMS to do well in STEP. But i'm doing Maths at university not engineering.
Reply 22
If you're unsure of your mathematical ability, it's probably wise to take steps to avoid STEP III, though I doubt they would make engineers do it anyway. I wish I could have avoided it!
Reply 23
I'm sorry if I'm being cruel but if you don't want to take the entrance exam maybe your applying to the wrong uni?

Also you probably just need to get into the mindset for STEP look for the online book by Siklos "Advanced problems in core mathematics" I believe the name is. I'm sure you will be able to do some of those. Also if you haven't done C3/C4 calculus / vectors some of if will be unapproachable.
Reply 24
Dadeyemi
I'm sorry if I'm being cruel but if you don't want to take the entrance exam maybe your applying to the wrong uni?

Also you probably just need to get into the mindset for STEP look for the online book by Siklos "Advanced problems in core mathematics" I believe the name is. I'm sure you will be able to do some of those. Also if you haven't done C3/C4 calculus / vectors some of if will be unapproachable.

I would just like to point out that Maths is to Physics as masturbation is to sex.

And in relevance to the topic, as I said before, Peterhouse are fairly keen on extra exams (STEP/AEA/TSA) so if you really want to avoid them maybe apply to a different college?

Although I see entrance exams as just a chance to prove yourself.
Reply 25
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/requirements/index.html#step

It looks like the only colleges which ask for STEP as part of an engineering offer are Churchill and Peterhouse. Avoiding STEP would be simple - just don't apply to either of those two.

I think it says elsewhere on that page:

Churchill may ask Engineering applicants not taking Further Mathematics at A level for an AEA in Mathematics or STEP Mathematics.
Christ’s and Peterhouse may include an AEA as part of a conditional offer in any subject.
Gonville and Caius asks Computer Science applicants for AEA in Mathematics.
Trinity asks Engineering applicants not taking Further Mathematics at A level for a Merit in AEA in Mathematics.

So it seems that if you're not taking A level further maths Churchill may ask for AEA rather than STEP, and Trinity might ask for an AEA. So taking AS level further maths probably wouldn't help. Although I'd still recommend it - further maths is a brilliant subject.

So yeah, to avoid being made to take STEP or AEA then just apply somewhere that isn't Churchill, Trinity or Peterhouse. Shouldn't be too hard.
Reply 26
i've e-mailed peterhouse again (the actual admissions tutor was on holiday) she said if i do an AEA then mabe they wont ask for a STEP, but its up to the engineering fellows to decide. So i think i should register for an AEA. Thoughts?
Reply 27
Personally, if you don't want to take STEP then perhaps AEA would be better. STEP always looks difficult at first but once you get into it definatley isn't that hard. Have you done most C3/C4 yet? STEP and AEA are designed to test your mathematical ability a little bit more than A-levels. If you generally aim to know about the knowledge behind your A-level work then STEP doesn't become too difficult. Difficulty wise i don't really think AEA is going to be that much easier than STEP, though i haven't taken AEA. Also don't worry about that STEP is only aimed at the top 2% nonsense, as anyone really can have a decent stab at STEP if you've prepared, it seems to me that it only puts unsure people off taking it.
Reply 28
:wink: , it was the caption to the xkcd comic which his sig is based off :p:
Reply 29
Cheers mate!, Looks like im doing an AEA!

Latest

Trending

Trending