The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The ALIS system is a joke! I was predicted BCCD on it at AS and I ended up with AAAAAB... Beg your teacher, assure him/her that you will work REALLY hard and put so much effort. If that doesn't work, get your parents involved. 229ums is a high B, in my opinion. I know plenty of people who were predicted two grades higher with the promise of taking retakes, etc...
Reply 21
Yeah ALIS really ****** me off, it's like impossible to get predicted As on it.
That is ridiculous, I'm sorry but if you achieve it at AS then you should definitely get predicted it at A2 specially as you 'owned' your predictions as well!
I would really get your parents involved if it doesn't change because that is so so so unfair.
Ask for the chances graph that ALIS can produce - it does not condemn you to a single grade but shows how people nationally with the same GCSE score as you performed e.g 10% got A, 20% got B, 30% got C, 30% got D.

To use ALIS correctly, they should also input results from more recent internal & external tests and allow for a school-effect correction i.e. if ALIS predicts B in Maths but those students in your school typically achieve A. that's why it's called a value-added system - to what extent does your school help its students do better than other schools with similar students.

on the face of it, your particular case does sound harsh. More generally, lots of schools over-predict. It may help students get offers but it also ensures that many end up missing them.

good luck
Reply 24
My form tutor was telling us about the ALIS system this morning. My college has it, but they don't use it, thank god.

It would apparently predict me BBCC for my A2's, even though I got and A in all 4 AS's and no UMS lower than 276/300.

They can't base predicted grades on that, it's ridiculous.
They are average grades not predicted grades. But bear in mind that half the students do worse than their ALIS grade ....
Reply 26
This ALIS sound very unfair
Reply 27
J400uk
rant

I got the same problem here. Why the **** do so many school use the ******* 'ALIS' sytem. EVERYONE I have spoken too says its an utter waste of time (apart from the teachers of course..) consistentely comming out with unfair grades. WTFis the point.

/rant

Lol my economics teacher tried to use this. I was predicted a B from that dumb test and got an A overall for AS. He said your test said B, so.... i was like no mate predict me an A or I'll bring my dad in :proud: meh parental pressure always works. He was always going to predict me an A, but when he made reference to that ALIS test my heart skipped a bit :rolleyes:
Reply 28
Hi everyone
thanks for all of your supportive messages and I just thought that I would let you know that after much persuasion by the head of 6th and my parents my business studies teacher changed my grade to a "B" :p:
:smile: :smile:
huzzah! result :smile:
Reply 30
The_Goose
huzzah! result :smile:

I know :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 31
I am currently going through the same dilemma at GCSE stage with around 3-5 subjects. I feel i been unfairly predicted i will ask nicely if not. I will go see a higher authority
9 semiotics
Yes that's what I ment. I don't want to be predicted a bad grade based on ALIS to stop me from getting a offer from a good uni.:mad:

Definately challenge this; ALIS predicted me CCCC when I got AAAB at AS, it is unreliable in many cases. As has already been stated, see your head of 6th form.

* I see you have already reached a conclusion, so I suppose my post is irrelavent :smile:
tell them that you NEED it for where you want to study...and any concerns they have about not meeting the grades will be sorted by you applying to an AAC university, so you will not be left with no university.
if they still disagree...ask them why they won't change it.
i had this with maths and i had to stick to the C but i still got AAB offers xxx
I've been predicted AAB. I got ACDU last year.

Might seem ridiculous but for English I handed in 9 practise papers since the start of the term and it's justified really becuase the only reason I got a D was because I completely failed 1 module but got an A and a B in the others. Poitics is similar, I've just shown the teacher how hard I'm already working and showing him practise papers I've been doing for my retakes in January, the were shocked I got a C anyway so agreed to bump my predictions to an A.

I guess it depends what your teacher is like but in my experience if you show them you're working hard enough, they are willing to be lenient. Especially if you know how to constructively pester them. It seems like you're already working hard though in which case I say take it to your director of sixth form, it's a last resort but your only choice at this point I think.
Reply 35
9 semiotics
Thank you for agreeing. My Geography teacher and Geology said it’s stupid so they based their predictions on effort in class, how hard you work and As attainment est. It’s just my ******* business studies teacher who is to ******* lazy to predict all 7 people in the class results based on something other than ALIS :mad:

My teacher predicted my grade based on 'alis', it's the biggest pile of rubbish! I love how the disclaimer at the bottom of the predicted results sheet from Alis says that the grades could either end up one above or below your predicted grade meaning if they predict me a B I could end up with an A or a B, yes, very reliable.
I thought the ALIS thing was just for predicting AS/A2 performance from GCSE or is it for A2 from AS as well?
Reply 37
matt2k8
I thought the ALIS thing was just for predicting AS/A2 performance from GCSE or is it for A2 from AS as well?

They use your GCSE results and your results from their own test to give you your potential grades, which is in my opinion, absolute trollop. Apparently Ali can predict your potential degree result from your AS/A level results, which again is trash. Personally I think it's stupid, it's an utter waste of money and it can hugely demoralise pupils. Plus, it doesn't take external factors into consideration i.e. pupils not caring about the test, pupils only beginning to work at AS level, pupils excelling at AS/A level in their areas of expertise instead of an average at GCSE, a death of a friend/family member, illness etc etc.

So yeah, Alis = a waste of time and money.
Reply 38
What a teacher..... really discouraging...
Unfair?

Got ABB

Predicted: BBC

As expected of silly teachers.

Latest

Trending

Trending