Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    well done for the interview guys!

ReputationRep:
    January 10th. Other people's seem to be earlier though for some reason.
    Also, if I got an interview at Oxford is it possible I might have to stay until the 10th? Because my Queen Mary's interview is then...

ReputationRep:
    It's very possible. I think it was bysshe who talked about this on the other thread; she said she was going to contact QM to see if she could have her interview rescheduled.

ReputationRep:
    I think I might wait until Oxford talk to me, because if I don't even get interview then I'll have pushed back QM for no reason. I know some people are going to QM in Jan though so I guess they could fit me in too.

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to get a place without being interviewed?

ReputationRep:
    They haven't requested an interview wtih me yet... I hope this doesn't mean that a rejection is imminent. Eurrghgh I hate not being aware of what's going on! I don't care if they reject me, just REPLY UCL, REPLY!

Has everyone here been invited to attend an interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomm)
    Is it possible to get a place without being interviewed?
    They say, iirc, that they aim to interview everyone that they seriously consider for a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vykeera)
    They say, iirc, that they aim to interview everyone that they seriously consider for a place.
    Ah, okay, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celiaceliacelia)
    They haven't requested an interview wtih me yet... I hope this doesn't mean that a rejection is imminent. Eurrghgh I hate not being aware of what's going on! I don't care if they reject me, just REPLY UCL, REPLY!

Has everyone here been invited to attend an interview?
    I haven't been invited for interview yet. I don't think it necessarily means that a rejection is imminent. If they had made a decision they'd probably tell you straight away.

ReputationRep:
    Who else has applied to UCL for English? Has anyone heard anything from them yet? What are your grades like?????
    I thought perhaps we should congregate here and share our experiences/thoughts, etc !
    Btw, I've just realised the amazingly high competition there - 75 spaces for more than 1500 applicants?!? :eek: :eek: That's more than 20 applicants per place
    Doesn't anyone find that incredibly offputting? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    eh? UCL english is your backup for medicine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    eh? UCL english is your backup for medicine?
    mmmmmm, yep!
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    mmmmmm, yep!
    Why?
    Well, it's a very competitive and unrelated course. Medicine applicants normally pick biomed or similar as a back-up application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    Well, it's a very competitive and unrelated course. Medicine applicants normally pick biomed or similar as a back-up application.
    Yeh, i've realised that - but if I don't get into medicine the only other thing i'd ever want to study is English - not biomed. Do i stand a really really slim chance of getting in, do you think?
    Do you think it'd be a good idea to sub my choice for ucl english to english at a less competitive uni, like kcl for example? I really don't want to take a gap year out, so please - desperate for advice!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, i've realised that - but if I don't get into medicine the only other thing i'd ever want to study is English - not biomed. Do i stand a really really slim chance of getting in, do you think?
    Do you think it'd be a good idea to sub my choice for ucl english to english at a less competitive uni, like kcl for example? I really don't want to take a gap year out, so please - desperate for advice!
    er... since you've applied for medicine it's been more than 14 days since you sent your application, so you can't substitute choices now. UCL go a lot on the personal statement in making decisions for the english course, and i'm assuming yours is all about medicine? your chances are probably very slim.

ReputationRep:
    Kings has a similar applicant to place ratio. If you're keen on London try Queen Mary..

ReputationRep:
    Erm.. well, unless you dedicated a significant (by which I mean atleast half) of your personal statement towards English, it's pretty unlikely you'll get an offer for English. KCL is only narrowly less competitive than UCL; they're both in virtually the same league in the amount of applicants they get and the amount they take in.

ReputationRep:
    KCL isn't that much less competitive. The risk is that without a personal statement explaining your interest in the subject, any university is likely to reject you for English. I would suggest calling the university to ask about your chances, and whether there's anything additional you can submit towards your application; if not, perhaps substituting the course might be an idea. I'm not sure if you can do that at this late stage though, UCAS normally gives you 14 days to change your mind.

Anyway if this is a question you need to ask it should probably be in a seperate thread in Applications, rather than spamming up this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    KCL isn't that much less competitive. The risk is that without a personal statement explaining your interest in the subject, any university is likely to reject you for English. I would suggest calling the university to ask about your chances, and whether there's anything additional you can submit towards your application; if not, perhaps substituting the course might be an idea. I'm not sure if you can do that at this late stage though, UCAS normally gives you 14 days to change your mind.

Anyway if this is a question you need to ask it should probably be in a seperate thread in Applications, rather than spamming up this one.
    sorry, it was in the applications thread but i'm assuming a moderator moved it here!!!
    Well, UCL had my medical personal statement for two months and I'm glad i wasn't rejected instantly. A couple of days ago now, i sent off my English personal statement to them, but academically i'm quite strong. 10A*, 2A, 7A's at AS, top five marks in country for English Lit GCSE & AS, written a book, read loads, REALLY passionate about it,etc....
    Do i stand a really really slim chance of getting in? Do you know if i cancel my choice on ucas, can i fill it with something else? Or will i not be able to?
    Gosh, i feel like such an idiot.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weflycars)
    Kings has a similar applicant to place ratio. If you're keen on London try Queen Mary..
    Yeah, i'm sooooo keen to stay in london, but queen mary's? I really wouldn't want to go there - i really don't feel at home/comfortable there. Anywhere else?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.