Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peachmelba)
    http://www.dur.ac.uk/ug.admissions/a...dmincycle0607/

Like a lot of unis they bury it. I know you can have too much information and end up confused but personally I'd rather have the choice.
    Do you know what the U, C, R and W mean? :confused:
    Yeah, I suppose so.....but I really love Durham and don't want to not apply due to being scared....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fn_101)
    Do you know what the U, C, R and W mean? :confused:
    Yeah, I suppose so.....but I really love Durham and don't want to not apply due to being scared....
    U = Unconditional Offer
    C = Conditional Offer
    R = Rejection
    W = Withdrawn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peachmelba)
    lol

5 AS - no wonder you dropped a bit on some modules! Full marks on geography modules is impressive though.

I can see why you might drop chemistry. I don't see why you would continue with theatre studies (the LSE blacklist may reflect unpublished bias by other admissions tutors). If you're doing it as a change from your other subjects, couldn't you achieve the same effect from extra-curricular drama?

In your position, I would drop both and re-sit the weaker biology module in january to give yourself a bit of elbow room with A2s.

You've picked the Times top 5 unis for geography (coincidence?). So, even with your strong track record, that does carry a risk. Durham, for example, received 1349 applications last year and made 585 offers (43%). For Oxford in 2007 85/299 received offers (28%). Better odds than for history or english say, but still no guarantees.

if you substituted somewhere like Leeds/Sheffield/newcastle for one of your choice, you could probably be a bit more confident of getting at least one offer.

On the other hand, there's no point applying somewhere you wouldn't want to go. In that case, it would be sensible to have a Plan B for a gap year.

Who knows, with a great personal statement/interview/whatever, you might end up with 5 offers.

good luck
    Where did yout find out these statistics for offers made to applicants?

I want to find them for civil engineering and have been looking everywhere! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I feel the same way as you do. I'm applying to Oxford, UCL, Edinburgh, York and Bristol and I am absolutely terrified but have decided there's no point in me applying to places I wouldn't actually want to go to..
    So if there is a 'safer' option you could see yourself going to, apply to that university instead of one of your uber competitive ones.. But if not, I say just go for it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Natsuko)
    You have a 1 in 4 chance of getting into Cambridge - alot of universities are 1 in 10.
    Thats very misleading - the standard of applicant is much higher than most places, and the average ums points on entry always tops the charts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swingin_yoyo)
    T-o dore where can I find statistics on average UMS on entry?

Unistats has them. Enter the course and university, then click on the course/university name in the results list. Click on the 'UCAS points and entry info' tab.

ReputationRep:
    Replace at least one of your choices (I suggest UCL) which a uni that's far less competitive...BBC offers may be.

ReputationRep:
    If you got all those grades, why are u asking such a stupid question. No offense.

You got good chances with all those Uni's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BadExaminee)
    Replace at least one of your choices (I suggest UCL) which a uni that's far less competitive...BBC offers may be.
    Woah, I wouldnt say that far. Somewhere like ABB-BBB would be okay, surely..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I just want to feel confident about my chances for my university choices for this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fn_101)
    Woah, I wouldnt say that far. Somewhere like ABB-BBB would be okay, surely..
    Life can throw nasty surprises at you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BadExaminee)
    Life can throw nasty surprises at you
    No, don't say that! You're making me doubt my choices and I have enough to do at the moment rather than worry about Uni..... ehhh so confused.

ReputationRep:
    aa

ReputationRep:
    Why do people post such threads!!!

Yes, you are amazing and yes you will most likely get five unconditional offers, well done... now stop posting threads like these because it just makes those people (like me) who haven't done so well feel inadequate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02mik_e)
    mmm i can see why you're concerned with 4A* 6A with the likes of Cambridge.
    I just thought that I'd point out that from what I know, this gives a wrong impression of Cambridge. I believe (hope) they don't care as much about GCSEs as other universities and they base it more on how you come across in the interviews/admissions tests. With AAAAB as your AS grades, an interview is pretty much guaranteed I'd have thought and the academic side shouldn't be a major problem. If it is, I'm screwed as I'm applying with worse grades despite coming from a brilliant school (GCSE results wise especially). So don't be put off Cambridge on that basis!

ReputationRep:
    hi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swingin_yoyo)
    My AS grades were AAABC my predictions are AAAAB!
    So you think I shouldn't worry about applying...?
    Well I got AAAb and 3 A*s and I'm still applying. My secondary school/sixth form are quite highly rated too and so my grades are comparatively average to others not to mention the fact that my modules are nowhere near straight As, my UMS are not any higher than 90% at best and I resat a fair few modules. Basically, I'm quite a poor prospective Cambridge student I'd say.

Someone at Cambridge will no doubt answer this better than me, but as long as you have the required grades and a decent PS, you should get an interview. It's at the interview where you need to shine. If you want to go there, I'd say it's always worth the risk if you cover the necessary bases...which you do.

ReputationRep:
    Where are you applying to? For what course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    That is easy to get offers for.
    Just take your colored pencils with you.
    LOL

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 30, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.