Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Surely the fact that people aren't picked out of the pool suggests choosing some colleges CAN disadvantage you in getting in?

If a college pools you, it means you were good enough to get in. If you aren't picked out by another college, it was because your original choice was too competitive, hence the choice of college stopped you from getting in. No?
    yes you have a point there, but it perhaps isnt that simple. for example unpopular colleges will often reject some of their applicants, even if they are of quite a high standard, in order to take even better applicants from the pool. likewise just because a college pools you (meaning you are good enough to get in) doesnt mean you would necessarily have gotten in at another college because there are so many applicants who are 'good enough' but who dont get in because there just arent enough places.

dont know if that makes any sense though. also, although many colleges pool applicants on the off chance they get an offer elsewhere, if a college really really believes you should get into cam they will make a special effort to get you in elsewhere (Clare told me they do this on their open day) if they cant take you.

ReputationRep:
    Magdalene I'd say. But I'd choose the one you'd most like to go to, you could always get pooled. If you get in you're gonna be there for a few years, so choose your favourite!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.