Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by naivesincerity)
    It's not just a practical issue, but a spiritual one. Can you imagine the psychological impact of using a 'Euro'?. It'd be like the first step to loss of identity.
    I like the idea of prioritising my European identity over my English one, being English is something of a technicality for me really. My subjective self-image, in order of importance, is: Geordie-European-Human-Life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    It's not just a practical issue, but a spiritual one. Can you imagine the psychological impact of using a 'Euro'?. It'd be like the first step to loss of identity.
    Countries that now use the Euro don't seem to be forgetting who they are. Why would we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    I like the idea of prioritising my European identity over my English one, being English is something of a technicality for me really. My subjective self-image, in order of importance, is: Geordie-European-Human-Life.
    Why is that, may I ask?

(Original post by Officer Dibble)
    Why is that, may I ask?
    Why is what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    Why is what?
    That you think of yourself as European before English.

(Original post by Officer Dibble)
    That you think of yourself as European before English.
    I think it's because being European is a more open and inclusive identity as popularly understood. I've grown up in a society where the dominant subjective meaning of 'English' is one filled with elements which do not speak to my experience or values. Home-counties, royalty, last night of the Proms, public-schools and Oxbridge, tennis and cricket, strawberries and cream, and so on and so on. None of these kinds of things are what I'm about yet they seem to be what centrally characterise who the English are (or are supposed to be). As a working-class northerner, a republican, a Marxist, and so on, Englishness as an idea doesn't offer me much of a place, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously not. That's like trying to make a jacket that fits everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    Home-counties, royalty, last night of the Proms, public-schools and Oxbridge, tennis and cricket, strawberries and cream, and so on and so on. None of these kinds of things are what I'm about yet they seem to be what centrally characterise who the English are (or are supposed to be).
    Those things are more like the stereotypical American view of the English. I'd say here we were characterised in a much more diverse way.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=L i b]Well, to be fair, look at what our supposedly grand national economic controls have done to the housing market.
    [\quote]

That wasn't economic control that was economic incompetence, combined with an 'interesting' use of mathematics and accounting rules. Oh, and had we been in EMU during this, the results would have been near an order of magnitude worse. See: neutral interest rate, and real interest rate.

A fine point made there. UK economic policy is very much tailored to the needs of the South East, where a hugely disproportionate amount of economic activity takes place.

Whilst this may be all well and good in the Home Counties, it isn't much good for the North, the Valleys of Wales or the Scottish Highlands.
    It is skewed, but not as much. Dispopotionate in terms of what - land mass or population?

ReputationRep:
    I think we should go with the euro.
    Personally, I think a "standard" currency should be used the world over. It would make moving abroad, or going on holiday much easier. It could also remove some of the economic instabilities from the world.

ReputationRep:
    I'm shocked that no-one has made a point about exchange rates. the current expansion in exports are just about the only thing to have kept us out of recession post northern rock, while the same cannot be said of the Euro zone, whose currency is prohibitively strong.

I am of the opinion that for the time being we should stay out. Wait and see has done us alright so far.

ReputationRep:
    cases for joining:

economic benefits to UK companies and economy

and there is evidence that multinational companies like Japanese ones are leaving UK due to its failure to adop the single currency.

FDI(foreign direct investment) in UK fell initially but now the highest in EU, so there is no evidence to support fall in FDI.

London is considered the Europe's financial capitial, but now it is facing a threat...

UK is less able to influence the EU policies...

Case for staying out:

consideration on sovereignty

loss of control of national currency and monertary policy

relative strength of UK economy

business structure is different in UK...

personal idea: join

now the exchange rate of Pound is falling...

ReputationRep:
    No optimal currency area here. Don't join the Euro hype.

ReputationRep:
    Yes since It'll take us one step closer to a united european federal super state.

ReputationRep:
    i'm not an economist, I have a vague idea of how our financial systems work but that is about it but I do feel that the pound is a British icon. It is still stronger than the euro (just) and for that reason I think it should stay. In any case if it were to happen I think there should be a referendem although with the present government's track record that wouldn't ever happen!

ReputationRep:
    i'm not an economist, I have a vague idea of how our financial systems work but that is about it but I do feel that the pound is a British icon. It is still stronger than the euro (just) and for that reason I think it should stay. In any case if it were to happen I think there should be a referendem although with the present government's track record that wouldn't ever happen!

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.