Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You want real speed mixed with amazing talent : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXjgv...eature=related

ReputationRep:
    If that's your personal opinion then that's fine. I'm not gonna exactly try and change your mind as I don't believe in elitism. Everyone is entitled to musical preference. In terms of musical impact though Zeppelin have had a much larger impact than Crimson and even Pink Floyd when looking at it from a musical prospective. Zeppelin delved into many different areas of genre and never stood still on one clear style of playing. The whole image issue surrounding the whole idea of excess is mainly a by-product from Zeppelin's lifestyle during the 70s and this pretty much set the precedent of alot of the rock bands that came later on.

EDIT: That was too 'navalchicken' by the way.

ReputationRep:
    Well the fact that after I'd said that in my own opinion Bonham was overrated, you
    questioned me and inserted a Grohl quote is highly suggestive.

Also, in terms of who is more credible? I don't think thats a very good argument since it's entirely subjective. But with your point in mind, I wouldn't necessarily say that Grohl is more credible than anyone on TSR, sure he has had a load of experience in the industry, but I'm betting there are more talented drummers on this board than him. In fact, I personally know a drummer who I'd consider more talented than Grohl. So put more credibility in his judgement... and it just so happens he's a fan of Meshuggah!

While I appreciate that faster, more aggressive drumming doesn't equal quality, I wouldn't put Haake down - as one poster put it - as lacking passion. He is clearly very passionate about his instrument, skill in drumming and creating consistent music.

Edit: To yoshifumu, I actually like Tony Royster, but thats an entirely different drum style to Haake

ReputationRep:
    Gotta say actually, love this guy actually : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH2umxtA_sc

Gotta be wanting that drum set

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NavalChicken)
    Also, in terms of who is more credible? I don't think thats a very good argument since it's entirely subjective. But with your point in mind, I wouldn't necessarily say that Grohl is more credible than anyone on TSR, sure he has had a load of experience in the industry, but I'm betting there are more talented drummers on this board than him. In fact, I personally know a drummer who I'd consider more talented than Grohl. So put more credibility in his judgement... and it just so happens he's a fan of Meshuggah!
    Experience in the industry is enough, he was in one of the biggest bands of all time and has worked with dozens of other artists. I never thought that he is 100% right but I was just throwing in a professional's opinion, find me one that states that Bonham is overrated.
    There are guitarists on youtube who are far better than Hendrix ever was but will they ever have the same impact he had? No because most of them wouldn't of been playing if it was not for him and this is the same with Bonham to a lesser extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    Experience in the industry is enough, he was in one of the biggest bands of all time and has worked with dozens of other artists. I never thought that he is 100% right but I was just throwing in a professional's opinion, find me one that states that Bonham is overrated.
    There are guitarists on youtube who are far better than Hendrix ever was but will they ever have the same impact he had? No because most of them wouldn't of been playing if it was not for him and this is the same with Bonham to a lesser extent.

Hendrix got into the right area of music at the right time. i'm not demeaning his ability. but his impact would have been a lot less say if he played now, or a decade before.

Similarly with Grohl, amazing drummer and all round musician. but if he hadn't gotten into nirvana, he wouldn't have been much more than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoshifumu)
    Hendrix got into the right area of music at the right time. i'm not demeaning his ability. but his impact would have been a lot less say if he played now, or a decade before.
    I'm sorry but that statement is absolute rubbish. Hendrix had way too much talent to not be able to make a massive impact regardless of the generation he could be thrown into.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just saying, i don't think impact is much of an effect, i think if your good at it, you definitely know your stuff, that doesn't make you any less entitles to an opinion. there are going to be hundreds of people who will play similar stuff to hendrix now, but we're just not in an era that expressly listens to his kind of music. like there are people absolutely amazing at playing piano jazz style, but not many get recognised either.

Your impact depends on whether you play to the scene or not, i mean MCR, **** band, but have a massive influence during their first couple of albums because they produced the right music at the right time. although granted, i may let Hendrix off on making his own scene. purely because i wasn't around in his time.

Either way this is off topic so yer :P

ReputationRep:
    The question would be, what would music be like without his and other influences. I mean he didn't just have impact in the guitar playing world;
    As a record producer, Hendrix also broke new ground in using the recording studio as an extension of his musical ideas. He was one of the first to experiment with stereophonic and phasing effects for rock recording.
    I mean if The Beatles just formed now they probably wouldn't make it but what would music be like if we removed them and their impact.
    Questions that can never be answered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    The question would be, what would music be like without his and other influences. I mean he didn't just have impact in the guitar playing world;

I mean if The Beatles just formed now they probably wouldn't make it but what would music be like if we removed them and their impact.
    Questions that can never be answered.

Ok yer that i'll give to you, if stereophonics never came in music would be completely different. although that can be really annoying when one of your headphones are annoying

Hendrix was a producer? guess i shouldn't have been surprised...

ReputationRep:
    It's a fact that Haake is better than Bonham. Technically. It's just not an opinion, it's factual. There is just no competition whatsoever. Anyone who is properly musically trained can tell you that. Haake is properly musically trained, Bonham wasn't, so who's got the advantage and is probably better? I wonder...

Popularity doesn't mean the band is better. Just as popular as Hendrix is, Frank Zappa was miles better.

I've seen Meshuggah live and I can't get my head around how he can play so well!
    I've heard the majority of each bands albums, so I believe my opinion is more VALID in this case (and before you say it, no I'm NOT saying my opinion is better than yours...). I am guessing whoever is against Haake hasn't really listened to Meshuggah properly and only judging on one song. I, however have heard a few albums of Meshuggah and Led Zeppelin. So I believe I'm in a better place to judge than some.

But to sum things up:
    Tomas Haake > Bonham, moon, charlie watts, any rock and roll drummer...And, the majority of metal drummers at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    Ok yer that i'll give to you, if stereophonics never came in music would be completely different. although that can be really annoying when one of your headphones are annoying

Hendrix was a producer? guess i shouldn't have been surprised...
    Sorry, have I misunderstood you here? Are you implying that Stereophonics have had a massive influence on contemporary music?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    Tell me how does this differ from the drumming of Dragonforce, Slipknot and any other 'lets play it as fast as we can because our imagination is lacking' bands.

I don't think you're getting what I'm trying to say, that's why I said it was for drummers on the threads title.

LISTEN TO WHAT HE'S PLAYING.

Do you understand what a Poly-ryhtmn in? It's two different sets of beats going on at the same time. Haake's throwing them down on the Bass drums, WHILE Gravity blasting and hyper blasting!

His technical skill is stupid, he's amazing!

Oh, fast drumming? Check out Hellhammer from Dimmu Borgir.

Oh, and FYI, Before Dave drummed for dragonforce, he played in a band called Bal Sagoth, and he played VERY well in that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squid)
    Well that was rubbish.

What the hell kid, if you don't know drumming, you're not gonna understand what's going on here! Seriously!

Sorry it aint ****** B4MV, Linkin Park etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    Maybe I should of said that.

It does sound exactly the same as every other crap new metal band thou.

No, it doesn't though.

You're speaking out your arse, on a subject you're not understanding.

I like some random definition I read somewhere.

"Meshuggah are Tool, but metal"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielharris627)
    It's a fact that Haake is better than Bonham. Technically. It's just not an opinion, it's factual. There is just no competition whatsoever. Anyone who is properly musically trained can tell you that. Haake is properly musically trained, Bonham wasn't, so who's got the advantage and is probably better? I wonder...

Popularity doesn't mean the band is better. Just as popular as Hendrix is, Frank Zappa was miles better.
    Zappa may have been better but not as much as influence as Hendrix and that was why Hendrix was brought up in the first place.

Also just because one is musical trained does not mean they are better, an example would be Aerosmith which has two guitarists Joe Perry and Brad Whitford, Joe was ranked as th 48th greatest guitarist of all time, Brad wasn't on the list however Brad went to a music academy, Joe didn't. Joe is core to Aerosmiths sound as a better played and being in a sense more raw.

This is a good point that can be used here, the guy from the OP's video is a good drummer, however it sounds crap, the majority of people will think this and they are a mordern band which not many people will like, be it the crap vocals or whatever reason. Led Zeppelin were built around Page and Bonham when it came to the music itself, Bonham was a 'raw' drummer as quoted by a few people yet Led Zeppelin were the biggest band of the 70's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    they are a mordern band
    1987 they were formed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)
    No, it doesn't though.

You're speaking out your arse, on a subject you're not understanding.

I like some random definition I read somewhere.

"Meshuggah are Tool, but metal"
    Previous Thread

Sounds a lot like all the generic crap in that thread.

They released an album this year, they are therefore seen as a mordern band in comparison to Led Zeppelin no?

ReputationRep:
    But that's a poor logic. because going by that, if Led Zeppelin released a album this year, that would mean they're modern!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friggerpants)
    But that's a poor logic. because going by that, if Led Zeppelin released a album this year, that would mean they're modern!
    True but they had their mainstream period in the 70's. Your band I haven't heard of (like most) since this thread so it's really unimportant.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.