Turn on thread page Beta

Still no friends at uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm part of a girl trio ... but I have almost nothing in common with one of the girls. So yeah, you don't need to have things in common with people. ALSO, don't try too hard .. people can tell and it can get annoying.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm...you could join a society that needs new members desperately....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zunemax)
    join socities, get to lectures early and talk to people outside then talk to whoever you sit next to until lectures, then talk to them again after lectures. go to your student union / college bar and talk to people there.
    Just like you do?

"Hi, I'm Max. I make schoolboy errors and basically fail at life. I am a retard, and my favourite colour is clear."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epic Win)
    Just like you do?

"Hi, I'm Max. I make schoolboy errors and basically fail at life. I am a retard, and my favourite colour is clear."
    that's such a lie! My favourite colour is blue!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have spoken to the people in my class and I know I have nothing in common with them. They all like different music/film/hobbies
    Thats what makes friendships so fun! Arguing about how **** each others taste in music is, and introducing each other to films you never would have thought of, and discovering hobbies that you both enjoy.

is it a racial/cultural thing? Everybody else in my class is white and i'm asian. I feel left out.

I have had white/black friends before with no problems (in fact my best friend at college was white) but these people at uni just seem like they don't want me around.

In lectures I meet different people and it's good but I don't see them often

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you live at home means you don't have flatmates and shyness means you struggle with coursemates. It sounds awful. You know you have to start up convos with 'randomers' but that is very difficult, especially after the frenzy of freshers week. I wouldn't put race as an issue, you shouldn't assume the worst of these people.

ReputationRep:
    I SERIOUSLY doubt it's a racial thing. Come on.

Next time you see someone you've already spoken to in a lecture, go up and sit with them, be friendly and open, chat away, and then when the lecture's over, ask them what they're doing that night and say "oh, by the way I don't think I have your number yet".

Once you get people's phone numbers it's so much easier to make friends because you can arrange to meet up with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry)
    Here's a thought: how would you know you have nothing in common with them if you've never talked to them?
    exactly my point too,there are trillions of ways to start talking to someone,im like a completely random person,i could be like " oh hello,urm do you know where..... is" answer " cheers,where are you staying" i dunno sounds lame but atleast it's something,if the person seems hostile,thats their loss

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international Asian living in the MidWest of the United States. My group of friends is entirely white with me being the only Asian. You need to be able to make an effort. Your first year at uni? I always say that your first year, you should live on campus just because you're missing out if you live by yourself off campus or at home.

ReputationRep:
    i really recommend joining a society, you're bound to meet like minded people if u all share a hobby/interest, and they can be tight knit and won't make u feel left out because of not living on campus.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2008
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.