Turn on thread page Beta

Quick question about cash point machines.. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snu)
    You should be able to change your PIN at basically any ATM too.
    You sure? I am pretty sure you can nly change your Natwest PIN at RBS (who own Natwest) branded machines

Also when I wanted to change my Barclaycard PIN I could only do so at a barclays bank branded machine

If you use your own card at a cashpoint from a different bank you usually get reduced features.

To address the OP, you can use your nomal debit card for free at most machines, including those of other major banks. The only ones that charge will tell you before you take any money out and they are usually found in shops/pubs etc and are usally smaller boxes rather than 'hole in the walls'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    You sure? I am pretty sure you can nly change your Natwest PIN at RBS (who own Natwest) branded machines

Also when I wanted to change my Barclaycard PIN I could only do so at a barclays bank branded machine

If you use your own card at a cashpoint from a different bank you usually get reduced features.

To address the OP, you can use your nomal debit card for free at most machines, including those of other major banks. The only ones that charge will tell you before you take any money out and they are usually found in shops/pubs etc and are usally smaller boxes rather than 'hole in the walls'.
    Certain banks might put restrictions on their cards. My Alliance and Leciester card let me change the PIN in a Lloyds TSB machine, good thing too as there are no Alliance and Leciester machines anywhere near me.

ReputationRep:
    I have a number of cards from different providers and I've changed the PINs on all of them at the same cash machine before (which wasn't even owned by someone I bank with).

ReputationRep:
    It may well depend on the bank, then.

With my NatWest card I can change it at NatWest, RBS and Tesco cashpoints since they are in effect the same thing but with a different sticker over the top. If only they let NatWest customers use RBS branch service!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandettielightvessel)
    It may well depend on the bank, then.

With my NatWest card I can change it at NatWest, RBS and Tesco cashpoints since they are in effect the same thing but with a different sticker over the top. If only they let NatWest customers use RBS branch service!
    They do as RBS customers can use NatWest. There are restrictions of course and rules. You can pay in at NatWest with a Pre printed paying in slip and withdraw up to the cheque guarantee limit with a cheque. And vice versa applies. With regards to changing the pin, it is correct in saying normally it is usually own banks' or banks' that are directly related(ie NatWest/RBS/Tesco PF)

ReputationRep:
    Someone mentioned cashcards abroad, which is totlally different ballgame of charges. However using my cashcard in the middle of nowhere in iceland did amuse me for some unknown reason. It was a thought along the line of... this works... this is amazing. As it is with phones, walk into any country (near enough), turn your phone on and it works. Love technology

ReputationRep:
    i was iffy about my Maestro working in Aus, but luckily it did

Did want to try it in China though, i put it into one of their machiens but it didnt like it, luckily didnt eat my card up, lol (though i have it on good authority by fellow tourists you can withdraw cash there as normal)

ReputationRep:
    What we did before LINK I do not know.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.