Turn on thread page Beta

I live with an Animal. watch

ReputationRep:
    See, you've posted as anonymous and said that you don't want her to find out since she reads TSR.

Yet you then proceed to give such a detailed account of the issue, and the problems that she's causing, that if she reads this thread, shes immediately going to realise that its about her.

Kinda defeats the point of going anonymous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadders)
    See, you've posted as anonymous and said that you don't want her to find out since she reads TSR.

Yet you then proceed to give such a detailed account of the issue, and the problems that she's causing, that if she reads this thread, shes immediately going to realise that its about her.

Kinda defeats the point of going anonymous.
    Makes the point if she reads it though, yeah?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Even better, go and buy a mouse and let it loose in her room She'll think the house is infested.

ReputationRep:
    Put all the mess caused by her into a bag, and empty it on her bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon because the person of whom this thread is about reads TSR.
    You do know that you've given away so much information (particularly the note about the funeral) that if she reads this post then she's going to know its you anyway?

Her room is, at a guess, 18" X 35"
    18 by 35 inches? really? I think I have a tv bigger than that at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M e m p h i s)

I dunno bout you but if I was your housemate reading this, then I think after all of the detail you included, your anoniminity is kinda invalid.

:p: Woops! :p:
    The person that's the subject of this post can page through the OPs posts to see if he's been saying anything about her, if he's anon she can't do this. In the same way that I can look at yours and know that you're going to live in Bristol and are very likely to get a speeding ticket.

ReputationRep:
    Let's stop debating the validity of the guy's anonymity and get on with the issue at hand, shall we?

I'm genuinely stumped as to what to do though. I've never lived with anyone quite that bad. It seems she really just doesn't care about anything, so the old tricks of piling all the washing-up outside her door/in her bed won't work, and it's making your house a health hazard. On that topic, a nice bout of food poisoning might change her ways but that would be more than a little immoral and kind of hard given her current eating habits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perfect_Gent)
    The person that's the subject of this post can page through the OPs posts to see if he's been saying anything about her, if he's anon she can't do this. In the same way that I can look at yours and know that you're going to live in Bristol and are very likely to get a speeding ticket.
    Ahh, yes but what you didn't see was that was written about 6 months ago, I never got the speeding ticket, and I am already living in Bristol!

(fair comment though - Touche!)

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    anonymity
    :hahaha:

ReputationRep:
    Tell the landlord, I'm pretty sure he doesn't want a mice infestation in his house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M e m p h i s)
    anonymity
    :hahaha:
    "Anonymity" is a word... :rolleyes:

OP, as the others have said, I'm not sure what you can do. It doesn't sound like there's much point in trying to teach her a lesson, since she probably won't change and is relying on you to give in and clear up. Have you spoken to her about why you don't like her leaving uneaten food lying around? It might sound stupid, but if she doesn't understand why you're so bothered, she might think you're just nagging her for the sake of it.

I'd sit her down, explain exactly why you don't like her behaviour and try and agree on some "house rules". If she hasn't kept to them by a set date (e.g. in a fortnight's time), tell her you'll have to take it further and contact the landlord (I'm starting to sound like Supernanny ).

(Original post by BlackHawk)
    Even better, go and buy a mouse and let it loose in her room She'll think the house is infested.
    The house is infested. :p:
    Isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Send her to the zoo.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you found the infamous "man bear pig" ...

ReputationRep:
    Anon because the person of whom this thread is about reads TSR.

My Housemate and I share a two bedroom flat together.
    Previously, we shared a 1 bedroom flat and were involved together. Although, this is immaterial as we are no longer together and live seperate lives.
    The problem I am having to deal with is mess.

Now, I am not draconian, I don't mind a little bit of mess here and there but what I am dealing with is unacceptable.

My own room is about 12' X 18' with a double bed. So, understandably I have to keep my room pretty tidy otherwise you can't walk around the bed. Her room is, at a guess, 18" X 35" with a single bed and yet despite having more than twice the floor space you can't walk round the room without treading on discarded crap.
    I don't care about that, though. She can have her stuff all over the floor for all I care. What I do object to is food in the bedroom.
    When we moved in, we agreed that food wouldnt be in either bedroom for longer than 24 hours as in the previous place, I got so angry about finding week old Chicken bones and plates etc... that when we moved into the new place we split up and I elected to move into the box room on my own.

The girl is an Animal.
    I went home two weeks ago to bury my grandfather and left her a note to say that I'd appriciate it if she would keep the house tidy as with all the emotional stress of dealing with a funeral, the last thing I wanted to do is to drive 150 miles back to a filthy house.
    What happens? I come back and I discover that EVERY piece of crockery and cutlery has been used and is lain dirty in the kitchen and around the house - That's 6 of everything.
    Almost SIXTY dirty items coated in congealed rotting food.

I believe that washing up should be done once a day. I'm not so obsessed about clenliness that I would wish it done after every single meal. Although, once a day I feel, is a fair thing to ask for.

I don't mind that she doesn't do any other housework - I can live with vacuuming the rest of the house and cleaning the bathroom myself. Although I simply refuse to clean up after her in the kitchen.
    It got so bad last week that I had to go into her room and retrieve a fork before I could actually sit down to eat.

What can I do? I ask her and ask her to help out.
    I even got her as far as the kitchen just now but then she just pretended like she was sleep walking and refused to do anything despite promising to help if I cooked breakfast for her.

So, my intentions are to clean everything in the kitchen and then lock all the plates and cutlery ETC in a plastic box with a padlock and leave us with 1 complete set of everything each.
    Either that, or lock everything away and buy paper plates.
    I've only got to live with her another 8 months and I'm not moving out because it's a lovely house with sea views for only £100 a month.
    chillax mannn don't see what the problem is :nah: i'd hate to live with someone as uptight as you :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpye11)
    It sounds like you found the infamous "man bear pig" ...
    Just stop with the poorly linked popular culture reference right there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackcatlover2)
    chillax mannn don't see what the problem is :nah: i'd hate to live with someone as uptight as you :yep:
    This is the girl, the housemate - lynch her.

Let's stop debating the validity of the guy's anonymity and get on with the issue at hand, shall we?

I'm genuinely stumped as to what to do though. I've never lived with anyone quite that bad. It seems she really just doesn't care about anything, so the old tricks of piling all the washing-up outside her door/in her bed won't work, and it's making your house a health hazard. On that topic, a nice bout of food poisoning might change her ways but that would be more than a little immoral and kind of hard given her current eating habits.

It'd also be like shooting myself in the foot.
    If I go into her room and mention any of the problems I get the usual schpiel about "not understanding her" and "i'm bugging her" and "if I left her alone about it then she'd do it" and "i'm invading her personal space".

However, she was unwell quite recently and came into my room at stupid oclock in the morning and cried and screamed at me untill I put her back to bed in her own room with a wet towel on her head.

Honestly, it's like living with a ******* child sometimes.

She came into my room last night at 3 am and demanded I removed a spider from her room.
    The point? If theres something that she wants doing it has to be done straight away otherwise i'm [/quote=Animal]"an insensitive *******". [/quote]
    Although, if there's something that needs doing for MY peace of mind or to maintain the house it's left for me to sort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jace Falco)
    This is the girl, the housemate - lynch her.
    nope i just have some perspective... imagine getting sooooooo uptight over such a tiny thing!!! some people just need to chill out mann :yep:
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Really, let a moue loose in her room. Or even better get a dead one and put it next to a plate of food in her room.

She'll soon get the message.

How long have you got left on your lease?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2008
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.