Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    surel you would only go bankrupt if the player had an infinite amount of cash to play with?

(Original post by DFranklin)
    So it does seem to me the "value" of the company is significant. If my company is worth £1m, taking £50000 in fees for a "1 in 200 year" risk of catastrophic loss may not be a bad deal. If it's worth £1B, it's obviously not sensible.
    If your company was worth £1m and you took £100k fees for a "1 in 200 year" risk, would you be more or less likely to take that risk than if your company was worth £1B and could collect £100m fees for the same risk?

(Or was that your point? I might have misunderstood you...)

Perhaps I would sell this game if I could effectively set a ceiling by what would cause me to go bankrupt, and then pulling out of the game once (and if) I passed a certain worth.

ReputationRep:
    You've only just realised this? ... :p:

Yes I know this isn't what the thread is about really, just a funny title.

ReputationRep:
    If you are selling this game, sooner or later that small probability of bankruptcy will happen - so I don't see how you would make a business run with a long run profit on this; sure you may be able to survive 10 years or whatever, but in the end the bankruptcy case will happen. edit: If you only play the game once, then you will maybe want to take that little risk - although it is still unsafe, and not something I would do.

So, I seem to agree with you...

It's an interesting paradox, how the expectation of the payout is infinite.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, because the Government would bail you out :yep:

ReputationRep:
    It's about risk-return. The odds of going bankrupt are tiny, but play the game enough times and it might happen. I believe a similar thing is happening in the financial markets at the moment. In any event, if I played it just one time, I'd sell it for £20

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 22, 2008

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.