Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    you wouldn't travel back in time, you would cross over to imaginary time. perpendicular to the normal time axis.
    i was reading about imaginary time last night in a lecture by prof. hawking. he was on about the big bang. apparently thanks to imaginary time we can explain the beginning of the universe without having to make reference to stuff going on outside it. mental.

ReputationRep:
    As we're talking about physics, something I don't understand-

If the universe was created by the big bang, the big bang would have required masses of energy, where did the energy come from?

It's probably a really simple answer, but I have often wondered...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    it is possible, there are plenty of particles that travel faster than light. It is impossible to cross the light barrier. If you travel slower than light, you cant travel faster. if you travel faster, you can't travel slower.
    particles like what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    As we're talking about physics, something I don't understand-

If the universe was created by the big bang, the big bang would have required masses of energy, where did the energy come from?

It's probably a really simple answer, but I have often wondered...
    it came from the energy created at the big crunch, which crossed into imaginary time, skipped back a few billion years, and emerged to create a big bang.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    particles like what?
    I've forgotten what they're called, but they are given a special name, because they travel faster than light.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    it came from the energy created at the big crunch, which crossed into imaginary time, skipped back a few billion years, and emerged to create a big bang.
    Oh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    I've forgotten what they're called, but they are given a special name, because they travel faster than light.
    found out... they're called tachyons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Oh.
    it's just my hypothesis. might or might not be true

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    found out... they're called tachyons.
    only hypothetical arent they. what do we need them for? i remember in 'alpha centauri' (the brilliant civ-style game from sid meier, not the star) the tachyon was a weapon you could get lol.

ReputationRep:
    only hypothetical arent they. what do we need them for? i remember in 'alpha centauri' (the brilliant civ-style game from sid meier, not the star) the tachyon was a weapon you could get lol.
    well:

Tachyons(particles that travel faster than light) have already been created. By shining a laser through cesium atom vaper the sped the light in the laser up to 310c. If you could create some sort of cesium based laser you create a very focused beam of photons going faster than light. Paticles traveling that fast have a lot of NEGATIVE of EXOTIC energy, maybe you could use that for your wormhole machine
    http://www.leaderu.com/offices/billc.../tachyons.html

ReputationRep:
    i have to say the fact that that page is titled 'Tachyons, Time Travel, and Divine Omniscience' made me somewhat skeptical of its contents.

ReputationRep:
    i have to say the fact that that page is titled 'Tachyons, Time Travel, and Divine Omniscience' made me somewhat sceptical of its contents.
    says the physics and philosopher.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    says the physics and philosopher.....
    philosophy and religion should be treated separately if you ask me. the former is usually reasonable, the latter cloaked in propaganda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    Concorde. The only aircraft mankind has put enough effort into to make supersonic without the intention of killing.
    a very sad day indeed. pity the americans screwed us over, it could have been great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    a very sad day indeed. pity the americans screwed us over, it could have been great.
    uuhh yeh sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK0)
    uuhh yeh sure
    yes, the concorde was a great engineering accomplishment between two nations. it will probably not be remembered as such..as you illustrate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    yes, the concorde was a great engineering accomplishment between two nations. it will probably not be remembered as such..as you illustrate.
    Maybe if we didn't so much money on wars etc we could manage to fund the concorde..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Maybe if we didn't so much money on wars etc we could manage to fund the concorde..
    who?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.