Turn on thread page Beta

Man pregnant with second child?! watch

Announcements

(Original post by -Em-)
    The 1950s called. They're wondering where you've got to.

At least you've got your thoroughly refuted misconceptions of gender to keep you company.
    XX=Woman
    XY=Man

(Biologically, and that's the only point of interest in this story)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomic Tundra)
    How long before women become obsolete?
    Not before men do - aren't they working on stem cells or something that can be made into sperm? I don't want to be a lesbian xD (no offence lol)

ReputationRep:
    I remember reading about the first time this happened. I was wondering how it was possible... cos in the news he/she had been saying how it was a miracle. Then I heard the real story and realised he was actually a she. It's all a bit misleading really.
    Still... I suppose if he is happy:shifty: ....

ReputationRep:
    Good Lord, that's unnatural.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomgirl)
    I don't see what the big deal is. 'He' still has female organs...so it's not like Junior or anything. :p:
    agreed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 73337)
    XX=Woman
    XY=Man

(Biologically, and that's the only point of interest in this story)
    Are you aware that birth sex isn't assigned on the basis chromosomes? At least 1/1000 "men" have XXY, for one.

Twice as many people in the UK as follow Buddhism do not fit this biological categorisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomic Tundra)
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20081113/...d-41f21e0.html

How long before women become obsolete?
    She's not a man FFS. She wasn't a man when she had the first one. She wasn't a man when she was born. She won't be a man when she dies!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    She's not a man FFS. She wasn't a man when she had the first one. She wasn't a man when she was born. She won't be a man when she dies!!!
    Erm, no.

c.f. Every academic work on gender of the past 40 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    I think hes kept his internal female organs, but has a penis on the outside.
    I doubt 'he' has a penis.
    Or else he wouldn't be able to push the baby out lol.
    I think I remember him coming on Opera [:o: ] and saying his clitoris was just enlarged, but there was no penis.

Anything that has working female organs is strictly a female, biologically. And that's why this story isn't interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Em-)
    Erm, no.

c.f. Every academic work on gender of the past 40 years.
    Erm, yes.

c.f. the fanny she was born with. c.f. the womb inside of her that is carrying kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Em-)
    Are you aware that birth sex isn't assigned on the basis chromosomes? At least 1/1000 "men" have XXY, for one.
    1/1000 men are born XXY, this means that 999/1000 men are born XY. Your point fails, biological **** ups don't support what you're saying in the slightest.

(Original post by -Em-)
    Twice as many people in the UK as follow Buddhism do not fit this biological categorisation.
    Wow! Really? Because the UK is just saturated with Buddhists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 73337)
    Anything that has working female organs is strictly a female, biologically. And that's why this story isn't interesting.
    No, it really isn't. A hermaphrodite is not female, for one.

The reason why the story isn't scientifically interesting is because the person in question has ovaries and a womb. Nothing more, nothing less. Socially, it's a wonderful attack on binary gender assumptions, which makes it an interesting story, albeit less so than the first time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    1/1000 men are born XXY, this means that 999/1000 men are born XY. Your point fails, biological f*ck ups don't support what you're saying in the slightest.
    No, your argument fails on the erroneous assumption that XY and XXY are the only chromosome configurations a male may have. Hint: They aren't.

Wow! Really? Because the UK is just saturated with Buddhists.
    Let me put it simply, then. One in two hundred people in the UK does not fit into that biological categorisation. That's many times the population of your average town.

(Original post by -Em-)

The reason why the story isn't scientifically interesting is because the person in question has ovaries and a womb. Nothing more, nothing less. Socially, it's a wonderful attack on binary gender assumptions, which makes it an interesting story, albeit less so than the first time.
    Yes ok, I didn't cite the obvious exception.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by menaa-x)
    ohh i read about him when he was pregnant with the first one! i went onto the official website and thers people sayin stuff likee 'im workin fulltime id like my husband to do this' and things like that..

if this is the same guy im on about unless that was a different one! cos with him he was a proper male, but the baby would be born through ceasarean. i think he had a womb implanted or somethin, dunno how it works though..

If you're going to take a subject, please learn to spell it properly in your signature. It's psychology Sorry to be a pain, but I'm really OCD about spelling:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Em-)

Err, yes it is. People can be born with XXX or XXY or XYY or whatever - but they're still defined as male or female, depending on the presence or absence of a Y chromosome. But what difference does that make to this situation anyway?
    XXY males usually have perfectly normal male bodily functions, and although some are unable to produce sperm and have small testes, they are still essentially 'male' - they're not half man/half woman...
    If she doesn't have a Y chromosome, she isn't biologically a man. I fully appreciate that in all other faculties someone can mentally and emotionally be male, but biologically she's a woman - ergo it's a complete non-story that she can get pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    I hate this woman.
    Ever since the last time she got pregnant there are always loads of news stories like "PREGNANT MAN OMGZ" as if it's some kind of amazing unbelievable thing.

It isn't.
    She's not a man. She's a woman with a beard.
    That's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by indigovioletred)
    Err, yes it is. People can be born with XXX or XXY or XYY or whatever - but they're still defined as male or female, depending on the presence or absence of a Y chromosome. But what difference does that make to this situation anyway?
    No, they're not. They're invariably defined by the size of their genitalia or the toss of a coin. Please do your research before making such flippant statements.

XXY males usually have perfectly normal male bodily functions, and although some are unable to produce sperm and have small testes, they are still essentially 'male' - they're not half man/half woman...
    The fact that XX and XY aren't the only possible chromosome configurations completely refutes a binary male/female divide. The person in question has a womb, which is what he is carrying the child in, not some social magic imbued in him by the construction of womanhood.

If she doesn't have a Y chromosome, she isn't biologically a man. I fully appreciate that in all other faculties someone can mentally and emotionally be male, but biologically she's a woman - ergo it's a complete non-story that she can get pregnant.
    To all people on this thread: It is grossly offensive to use the wrong pronouns to refer to an individual, particularly a trans person, regardless of their particular combination of physical characteristics and gender identity. Please cease it immediately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Em-)

Ok, mosaic karotypes are somewhat of an exception, but they aren't actually relevant to this case, given that as far as we know, she's opted to have certain elements of sex-change surgery having previously been a genetically normal female.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.