When do we find out about offers? Watch

Echolife
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by thomasjtl)
Oxford offers come out about a week after interviews finish. The earliest i've ever heard someone find out is the friday of following the maths interviews finishing on the wednesday. Most people will hear between then and the following wednesday. Each college more or less sends out their decisions all together- but don't read anything into receiving a letter sooner or later than others, it's really meaningless. Likewise some people get sent a thick wad if they've got an offer, others just a single piece of paper. You can't tell by how thick the envelope is (although you can by looking inside it).
Damn I was hoping the thickness of the envelope would be an indication so I would be prepared for what lies inside.
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Echolife)
Damn I was hoping the thickness of the envelope would be an indication so I would be prepared for what lies inside.
Well, they're unlikely to send you a bunch of forms and/or a college prospectus with a rejection, so a thick envelope probably is an indication that you've got an offer. It just doesn't work the other way around.
Azzrahelle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by zephyranthus)
Will that be different for internationals? It literally took weeks for their acknowledgement letter to get to my mail box... and I just can't wait for another 38 weeks before I get to know whether I got in or not!

Oh and - will they update Track as soon as a decision is made?
I think it's safe to let a week pass after your interview(or if you had it on another continent in autumn, then let a week pass after the UK interview dates), and then ring the college and ask. They'll surely tell you, they must understand how international mail works. As in slowly.
Mook
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's also worth bearing in mind that it can vary depending on how nifty your local post is, especially seeing as the postal system is so clogged up near Christmas. I knew people applying for the same course at the same college as me who found out two days before me, simply because my letter was caught up in my local system. But yeah, about a week sounds about right ...
alyssa726
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ah, yes, I live in the United States. Our postal service is all right but tends to lose things, and unless it's air mail I doubt we'd get our letters anywhere near the time all of you do.
Loeweloewe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
when do internationals hear of their application outcome?
Jong Il Kim
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Loeweloewe)
when do internationals hear of their application outcome?
Have you done your interview by the way?
Loeweloewe
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah i have i posted about it sometime back
kuka
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Posts are funny - my acknowledgment should have been sent around the 30th (got an email) and still haven't received it. In the email I read that applicants whose address is outsidactually pre the UK will be notified by email too. I would efer getting a real letter, but email will be 3 weeks faster
Nice that they are rumored to be giving offers before Christmass
Athena
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by doodles the duck)
Universities hand out offers throughout the year. Offers start beeing sent out during october. The earlier you send off the more like ly you'll get an offer.

Oxbridge and veternary you want to have sent them off in late septemeber/october and they'll get back to you generally after about 6 weeks...or so I've heard.

PLEASE pay attention to what forum a thread is in before you post a reply that's frankly useless.
flugestuge
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by doodles the duck)
Universities hand out offers throughout the year. Offers start beeing sent out during october. The earlier you send off the more like ly you'll get an offer.

Oxbridge and veternary you want to have sent them off in late septemeber/october and they'll get back to you generally after about 6 weeks...or so I've heard.
That is so brilliant. :woo:
Do you also do Ronald Regan impersonations ?
jamie_90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
dang...I wasn't nervous about Oxford stuff until reading this thread...it was hidden by nerves for the college Panto! I do hope that my nerves are allowed to trundle through the college panto and onwards to Christmas though, becuase otherwise I'd have got rejected without interview = doh!

It is good that it's before Christmas though, at least if we get in, it will be the best Christmas ever, and if not, there are a number of distractions = pressies Although there WOULD be lots of relatives around asking about the interview and such...

Has anyone on TSR got an offer/interview yet?
Athena
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jamie_90)
Has anyone on TSR got an offer/interview yet?

Not for Oxford, not unless they're international (and that'll only be an interview). Do you understand the way the Oxford admissions system works? :p:
jamie_90
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Athena)

Not for Oxford, not unless they're international (and that'll only be an interview). Do you understand the way the Oxford admissions system works? :p:
I know, I know...tests, interviews yatah yatah but I thought maybe some prodigy child might have been able to skip all that malarky and waltz in, late October, with an unconditional offer. The chances that said prodigy child has time to go on TSR between building robots and probably failing to make friends are low...but I thought I'd ask nonetheless incase I had missed them!
Athena
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The only people who already have offers are organ scholars or trolls.
Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Athena)

Some classicists, UK based, do have interviews (from New college). And if you look at last year's interviews thread, someone had an interview for Earth Sciences on the 16th.
Athena
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Swayum)
Some classicists, UK based, do have interviews (from New college). And if you look at last year's interviews thread, someone had an interview for Earth Sciences on the 16th.

Blimey! I suppose, if classicists are among the first to be interviewed, it's only 3 weeks away now, and that's reasonable...
flugestuge
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kuka)
address is outsidactually pre the UK
And what is that when it is not in drag ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (238)
27.23%
No (636)
72.77%

Watched Threads