How is your Student Budget panning out? Watch

Floob
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My general budgeting is going well. There are some overlaps in weekly budget as i have recently had to pay a few one off big lump sums, but knew they were coming up so had money that wasn't included in my weekly budget for those (it just looks like spending has hit the roof this past month).
I do have to live quite frugally as my general budget is £30 a week (after rent, bills etc) which is possible, but I really have to watch pennies where my flatmates are getting takeaways every day.
mateyface
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Floob)
I do have to live quite frugally as my general budget is £30 a week (after rent, bills etc) which is possible, but I really have to watch pennies where my flatmates are getting takeaways every day.
:eek: i spend about twice that on drinks.
Dani1989
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I commute to uni and at the moment I'm spending about £70 a week on train tickets/parking tickets/petrol. So far I'm doing good
Floob
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mateyface)
:eek: i spend about twice that on drinks.
it's called get pissed before you go out. tesco value vodka and cheap mixer (max £7) goes a long way. Then go to places you have been given free entry passes to and if you need a drink to hold in your hand while out ask for water in a small glass or lemonade or something. Food wise I don't spend more than £10 a week then alcohol money and I'm within walking distance of uni so don't spend a lot on transport. taxis club together. After christmaas should have some more money in as will be working over christmas
FireDeuce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Way under
tw7055
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mamooshka)
You're right, I should have explained the fact that they're living at home, and aren't paying for rent, food, bills etc. We're talking alcohol & clothes here.
i can do that and still save money. it's called a job, i earn between £200 and £250 a week, thats after paying rent and my bills are £60 a month which i already covered with summer earnings.
tw7055
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the main thing all the freshers forget is that your first rent payment for their house next year goes out in july, three months before their loan payments, so if they have maxed their overdraft a rent payment might be tricky and on top of that they will need to pay a deposit.
Orthala
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tw7055)
the main thing all the freshers forget is that your first rent payment for their house next year goes out in july, three months before their loan payments, so if they have maxed their overdraft a rent payment might be tricky and on top of that they will need to pay a deposit.
It depends where and who. My house contract doesn't start until September so I don't need to pay until then apart from deposit.
shellyholmes
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'm spending less on everyday things like food (£5 a week) but i had to buy a bike, and a uni hoodie, which cost much more than expected. And an undergraduate gown that hasn't even been delivered yet and cost £135. leeches.

So hopefully in a few more weeks i'll be back on budget.
tw7055
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shellyholmes)
i'm spending less on everyday things like food (£5 a week) but i had to buy a bike, and a uni hoodie, which cost much more than expected. And an undergraduate gown that hasn't even been delivered yet and cost £135. leeches.

So hopefully in a few more weeks i'll be back on budget.
how can u live on £5 a week on food?! i spend at least £50. it can't be healthy to spend that little
Orthala
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
how can u live on £5 a week on food?! i spend at least £50. it can't be healthy to spend that little
I spend about £20/£25 a week on food. I have a bacon and egg sandwich everyday (sometimes just bacon). I also have chips most of the week (oven though..). You saying I'm unhealthy?!?!! (:rolleyes:)
tw7055
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Orthala)
I spend about £20/£25 a week on food. I have a bacon and egg sandwich everyday (sometimes just bacon). I also have chips most of the week (oven though..). You saying I'm unhealthy?!?!! (:rolleyes:)
well yes, that is only 1.5 meals a day and there is no fruit or veg and a lot of fat relative to protein and carbs etc.
Orthala
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well yes, that is only 1.5 meals a day and there is no fruit or veg and a lot of fat relative to protein and carbs etc.
Well no I just have that lol. I have super noodles, pasta, rice and other stuff. Not much veg or fruit though.

But yeh my comment was a little sarcastic about being healthy ha
shellyholmes
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I shop carefully. I'm a vegetarian so i don't buy meat and make my own veggie stuff like bean burgers from tinned pulses and freeze them. I freeze lots of homemade soup as well, made from vegetables that are reduced in price, which means different ones each time so lots of different nutrients. Lasts a long time, convenient and very cheap. Drink water, snack on fruit (bought in a grocers not a supermarket), shop around, porridge for breakfast that kind of thing, make sure to buy ingredients that can be used in lots of different recipes; e.g pastry which takes flour, which costs next to nothing (like 30p in tesco), margarine and a little water. I live well, but frugally :yep:
And it helps that my parents kitted me out with a stock of rice, pasta and tins when i first arrived at uni :o:

And £50? for one person? what do you buy:eek:
tw7055
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by shellyholmes)
I shop carefully. I'm a vegetarian so i don't buy meat and make my own veggie stuff like bean burgers from tinned pulses and freeze them. I freeze lots of homemade soup as well, made from vegetables that are reduced in price, which means different ones each time so lots of different nutrients. Lasts a long time, convenient and very cheap. Drink water, snack on fruit (bought in a grocers not a supermarket), shop around, porridge for breakfast that kind of thing, make sure to buy ingredients that can be used in lots of different recipes; e.g pastry which takes flour, which costs next to nothing (like 30p in tesco), margarine and a little water. I live well, but frugally :yep:
And it helps that my parents kitted me out with a stock of rice, pasta and tins when i first arrived at uni :o:

And £50? for one person? what do you buy:eek:
i am a 6'4", 100kg rugby player. I eat a lot, for example i will eat 2 chicken breasts, veg and about 500g of potatoes in one meal and i will eat 3 to 4 times a day, on top of that i snack on a lot of fruit etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (23)
17.04%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (54)
40%
Nope, not that interesting (58)
42.96%

Watched Threads