Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Is this the only time that I have ever heard someone say that Durham would be detrimental to his/her career???....YES!!!
    Well, maybe not detrimental but, how shall I put this, not as beneficial as going to LSE?

(Original post by Tek)
    Well, maybe not detrimental but, how shall I put this, not as beneficial as going to LSE?
    I know what you meant but still, I think that if you get a degree from Durham then it will ALWAYS be respected by almost all employers and particularly if its someone like the FO or UN (hopefully this theory holds true for Comp Sci at Durham...or I am royally f****d!!! )

ReputationRep:
    I know what you meant but still, I think that if you get a degree from Durham then it will ALWAYS be respected by almost all employers and particularly if its someone like the FO or UN (hopefully this theory holds true for Comp Sci at Durham...or I am royally f****d!!! )
    Hey, you reading Comp Sci at Durham? You might know my cousin! He's Robin Balen.

(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    The Times ranks LSE and Durham higher than Oxford.
    League tables are neither here nor there.
    Oxford is more likely then some of the others such as LSE to have its 'stars' (if you see what I mean) teaching undergraduates, which is something very important for a BA which is not taken account of in league tables. There is a real difference between being tutored by a grad student and one of the big experts in the field.
    I have heard that it is a bigger faculty then either LSE or Durham (I'm not certain of this though) which is advantageous because it means that a wider variety of topics will be on offer not only in terms of papers available but also for potential thesis topics- its advisable to do your thesis on a topic in which there is a resident expert within the faculty and so size comes into play here- the larger the number of faculty members the more subjects they are likely to be able to cover.
    The tutorial system is not something which is hugely dwelled upon in league tables but it really does make a difference, I think especially so in the humanities. Neither LSE or Durham can offer tutes of between one and three students to a tutor.
    All matters which elevate Oxford above pretty much everybody in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    You're just taken in by the name, there is no reason why Oxford would be better, indeed it has been shown it is worse, than LSE and Durham.
    “I’ve been taken in by the name”- jumping to conclusions based on well no evidence whatsoever \o/. It has been shown to be worse LSE or Durham only by a Times league table which, as respected as it is can never answer categorically the question of where the best place to study history in the UK is. Oxford may or may not be this very place (I feel that for me personally it would be) but to claim that it definitely isn’t simply because “the Times says so” is simply preposterous.

(Original post by Tek)
    Hey, you reading Comp Sci at Durham? You might know my cousin! He's Robin Balen.
    Nope, Im an insignificant 2004 entry applicant who is praying to get offers from any of the places he has applied to (Durham included)!!!

ReputationRep:
    Nope, Im an insignificant 2004 entry applicant who is praying to get offers from any of the places he has applied to (Durham included)!!!
    Well...I hope you get in Then you can say hello to him And I will be happy Hence all the smilie faces

ReputationRep:
    By the way Tek, is there any specific area you're interested in working in, UN wise?

(Original post by Tek)
    Well...I hope you get in Then you can say hello to him And I will be happy Hence all the smilie faces
    Thanks!!!

Getting back to the original question... I would pick Durham because not only is is widely respected and known for History, it is also a much nicer place that LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    By the way Tek, is there any specific area you're interested in working in, UN wise?
    Although I think I'd rather work for the FCO, if I were to work for the UN, it would have to in Politics.

Would you study a post grad degree in International Relations?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!!!

Getting back to the original question... I would pick Durham because not only is is widely respected and known for History, it is also a much nicer place that LSE.
    Okey...I'm leaning towards Durham. After all 3/4 of Uni is having fun, right ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Although I think I'd rather work for the FCO, if I were to work for the UN, it would have to in Politics.

Would you study a post grad degree in International Relations?
    Yea, if I did decide to go down the UN route I would have to (a post-graduate degree seems to be a nessecity for pretty much every job in the place). And yea, I agree with you, at the end of the day I think I'll choose whichever place I think I'll enjoy myself more at. The thing is, I haven't got a clue about where that is yet

(Original post by Tek)
    Okey...I'm leaning towards Durham. After all 3/4 of Uni is having fun, right ?
    Assuming Cambridge would be your first choice, Durham is the one most similar to it that you mentioned. But it all depends on how high you prioritise a collegiate system. You might prefer something different as an insurance/ if Cam doesnt work out for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Yea, if I did decide to go down the UN route I would have to (a post-graduate degree seems to be a nessecity for pretty much every job in the place). And yea, I agree with you, at the end of the day I think I'll choose whichever place I think I'll enjoy myself more at. The thing is, I haven't got a clue about where that is yet
    Lol...well I still have a year before I apply

A degree in History from Oxford followed by an MPhil in IR from Cambridge would look pretty impressive though

You're just taken in by the name, there is no reason why Oxford would be better, indeed it has been shown it is worse, than LSE and Durham.
    It hasnt though. Thats the point.

ReputationRep:
    Royal Holloway has a very good rep for History, although probably not the place to go if you're a brand name type of person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    Royal Holloway has a very good rep for History, although probably not the place to go if you're a brand name type of person.
    Hmmmm, I'm not so I'll definitly consider it :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    - similar to Edders's thread about physics:

If I don't get into Cambridge (as will probably happen), where should I go to Uni to read History? I think that LSE is the most prestigious, but I wouldn't fancy going to Uni in London as I'd either have to live at home or leave with huge debts. Durham is good but then again it doesn't have an international reputation. Any ideas?

Durham
    London School of Economics
    St. Andrews
    Edinburgh
    Warwick
    Hi, I've applied to study history at Cambridge, too- which college did you apply to? I went for St John's. I have the same thoughts as you about studying at London, although both UCL and King's College are very good at history. I have taken Durham as my second choice, it's third in the league table, excellent uni with an old tradition and it has a college system, too. I do think that it has an international reputation though. In any case it's a great uni.

I don't know much about the other unis. But I would only recommend Warwick if you're into Italian Renaissance or Modern European history. That's because you have to choose between these two when you want to study there. The Italian course includes a compulsory time abroad in Venice, i.e. you must be fluent in Italian for that part of the course. I want to study a more flexible course, so I didn't apply there. But it's a very good uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B00kwOrm)
    Hi, I've applied to study history at Cambridge, too- which college did you apply to? I went for St John's. I have the same thoughts as you about studying at London, although both UCL and King's College are very good at history. I have taken Durham as my second choice, it's third in the league table, excellent uni with an old tradition and it has a college system, too. I do think that it has an international reputation though. In any case it's a great uni.

I don't know much about the other unis. But I would only recommend Warwick if you're into Italian Renaissance or Modern European history. That's because you have to choose between these two when you want to study there. The Italian course includes a compulsory time abroad in Venice, i.e. you must be fluent in Italian for that part of the course. I want to study a more flexible course, so I didn't apply there. But it's a very good uni.
    Thanks - good luck to you! I'm not applying until next year (I'm still 16) but I'll be going for either Girton / Peterhouse / Caius.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    My dilemma is that for a career with the Foreign Office / UN, LSE would probably be a better second choice. I am sure, however, that I'd enjoy my time at Durham much more. Help!
    LSE has a course in international history as far as I can remember, if you're thinking of doing that and maybe later, a MA or MPhil in International Studies (good for your career choice), then I'd say go to LSE. Check out their courses and see which one you like best. I don't think it matters so much for your career, both are excellent unis and your employer won't care about which history course you've studied.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.