Turn on thread page Beta

Those with seemingly *invisible* disabilities? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amykins)
    It makes it difficult sometimes as I say what I have and people just don't believe me or don't think it's that bad.
    Same here. I've also had several people accusing me of faking what I claim to have. Because obviously being clumsy is just great, as is having zero independence.:rolleyes:

My epilepsy certainly isn't noticeable, at all. On one of the many occasions when I had a seizure waiting for a bus I made a bit of a fool of myself. I had the seizure (just a few seconds of an aura then a headache) then my bus arrived. As I boarded the bus, and gave my destination, I was still quite tired, found it hard to concentrate and my speech was slightly slurred. Then, when getting off the bus, I lost my balance and fell to the ground (I was just so tired and had a blinding headache). I think people just thought I was drunk.:o:
    How awful. I've been ased if I'm drunk because of my inability to walk in a straight line. (when completely sober) I also know someone who got accused of getting their young child drunk, because the child's eyes were wobbling.

ReputationRep:

Originally Posted by Amykins
    It makes it difficult sometimes as I say what I have and people just don't believe me or don't think it's that bad.

Same here. I've also had several people accusing me of faking what I claim to have. Because obviously being clumsy is just great, as is having zero independence.

My epilepsy certainly isn't noticeable, at all. On one of the many occasions when I had a seizure waiting for a bus I made a bit of a fool of myself. I had the seizure (just a few seconds of an aura then a headache) then my bus arrived. As I boarded the bus, and gave my destination, I was still quite tired, found it hard to concentrate and my speech was slightly slurred. Then, when getting off the bus, I lost my balance and fell to the ground (I was just so tired and had a blinding headache). I think people just thought I was drunk.

How awful. I've been ased if I'm drunk because of my inability to walk in a straight line. (when completely sober) I also know someone who got accused of getting their young child drunk, because the child's eyes were wobbling.
    Same here. This point is so true.

ReputationRep:
    Hypermobility problems in my fingers, and muscle problems in my left hand. I find it painful to handwrite a lot, so I write slower than other people. Thus, I usually type my homework, and get extra time in exams. Some people at college advise me to simply "write faster"... :rolleyes: if it was that easy, I'd do it.
    Or they act like having extra time in exams is giving me an "advantage" of some sort. :rolleyes: .... No.... it's trying to give me an equal opportunity. I *still* can't write anywhere near as much as them in exams, even *with* the extra time.

It's mostly invisible, unless I'm wearing my glove when I write. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Oh man, my disability does give me awkward situations sometimes! I was at a party, and there was this conversation where everyone was focusing on the one person and fired questions. It turned onto me, this girl asked me questions which went like so;
    ' Your accent sounds like no south west accent Ive ever heard, which are of south west do you come from??'
    'Yeah...um, that's cos Im deaf so I have no accent really.'
    '....Oh' and the room went silent. Oh well. :P I laughed it off obviously. I do get many questions about my 'accent', Im just glad they think it's an accent rather thinking oh, she's obviously deaf.

ReputationRep:
    Heh...

I apparently have the invisible version of an invisible disability. ADD without hyperactivity. Nearly got diagnosed at school, but "you've got to be hyper to have ADD", right?

Now I have the joy of waiting for yet another assessment before I start to get treated.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Mine's not noticeable at all unless you have to spend the whole day with me, or an evening when I'm liable to fall asleep on you.

ReputationRep:
    I find that I actually have to tell people so they'll slow down for me a bit. Also, if we've got to read in class, it's pretty obvious I've got large text or am just listening. I don't know. I sometimes think people think I'm just lazy...

I must look pretty mad when I have dizzy spells though- I often lean or touch the wall as I'm walking and feel like I'm wobbling everywhere! And sometimes my legs give way, which looks like I've just randomly squatted down!

I suppose I'm pretty open about being ill, though. It seems to come up pretty quickly when I first meet someone... I guess it affects me more than I thought.

Ah well.

ReputationRep:
    Just like me, my friend happen to have juvenile diabetes, and he actually got arrested by a stupid police for use of "illegal substances" when injecting insuline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9ruby)
    Those with seemingly *invisible* disabilities, do you think they are really not noticeable to people who meet you?:confused:

I was wondering...
    I wasn't sure, and feeling quite insecure about it. Then I watched that recent Panorama programme How Mad Are You (a deliberately-provocative title!) and it was wonderful to see that even doctors who were observing a group of people for several days couldn't easily spot people who had a history of mental illness. It made me feel a lot better about it.

I may go around the internet with a big "Mental Health Awareness" button on me, but in real life it's somewhat trickier to get the confidence to do so. I stick with having a tiny 'Rethink' badge on my bag. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9ruby)
    I would class my Dyspraxia as visible, once you get to know me after a few minutes. I walk quite awkardly, and sometimes my friends have commented that "your face sometimes does the wrong thing(expression)" + I have a tremor in my hands, plus my general poor co ordination.

In fact, today I told by one of my teachers today, within minutes of me walking into his classroom, he knew I had to have dyspraxia!

However, others with the same condition, but milder may not find people notice.
    Have you had any driving lessons/can drive/ride motorcycle? Within minutes of my first driving lesson, the instructor guessed I had extremely poor co-ordination. 6 lessons later and I still cant turn a damn corner properly!

Apparently most Dyspraxics struggle driving which doesn't bode well for us.

ReputationRep:
    Have you had any driving lessons/can drive/ride motorcycle? Within minutes of my first driving lesson, the instructor guessed I had extremely poor co-ordination. 6 lessons later and I still cant turn a damn corner properly!

Been advised not to. Have to have a assement first.

ReputationRep:
    I think mine are noticeable..very much so.

ReputationRep:
    To most people i'm just shy and clumsy, which usually gets put down to me being shy, so awkward. Funny thing is, i'm not as shy as i seem which gets annoying at times.

Just got aspergers syndrome and dyspraxia.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Mine are invisible! I have epilepsy (absence seizures which can be percieved as me being ditzy, absent minded, day-dreaming, forgetful) and bi-polar (which is noticeable if I am particularly high (if I'm low I don't tend to go out!) but often put down to a weird personality).

ReputationRep:
    My dyscalculia is pretty noticeable when people ask me to tell the time, or when i'm counting out change, or in fact anything involving numbers. Otherwise not so much, my ADHD is very noticeable at times just through how hyperactive I can be. Skipping at work, dancing and generally being considered a nuisance makes everything pretty obvious.

ReputationRep:
    Mines supposedly invisible, as its an autoimmune disease but sometimes i cant walk properly and then obviously it is noticeable but people dont really get my illness. It's hard cause some days im perfectly fine, but when it flares up i cant concentrate, walk and get chronic fatigue so people think im just being moody and boring, but im not so i tend to just go to my boyfriends house as his housemates understand more (think it's cause they're third years so are more co-operative).

ReputationRep:
    I have a sexy learning disablility... sexlexia :p:

Futurama quotes FTW.

I actually have cystic fibrosis. And people only ever think I have a stonking cough... they ask if I am alright, and I explain the CF situation. Makes "silence" in exams and things slightly awkward sometimes :o:

ReputationRep:
    Ash - are you able to get your own room ding exams so you don't disturb anyone with your coughing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hisoo)

Don't give up poppet! I have dsypraxia and my coordination skills (the bit in the big test when you make shapes out of cubes) were so low I'm in the bottom 1% in the Uk. However I can drive it just took me longer to learn. I even went on to drive people carriers and stuff for my old job and was known for being one of the best at getting out of tight spaces! Once it became a basic instinct instead of being about thinking and understanding the spaces I was fine!

I have dsypraxia, dsylexia and depression - the 3 D's! I am really open about them because I feel like it's written across my forehead but people are suprised. I didn't know I had dsypraxia or dsylexia until I got to university because my school and college weren't too hot on picking it up and consequently I have lots of little coping strategies. When it was revealed my brother said I was 'always a bit special' but apparently no one wanted to bring it up because I'm quite harsh on myself anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Ash - are you able to get your own room ding exams so you don't disturb anyone with your coughing?
    Erm... if I made a fuss, I might do. But, its not *that* bad. I dont think I disturb other people loads really... I hate having to be "different".

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.