Do Durham take into consideration the school an applicant attended?? Watch

River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kat2pult)
I got offered a place from Durham, and I got no A*s at GCSE (ABBBCCCCCDE) and CDD at AS level.

Anything is possible!
Yes, but with the greatest respect to you (and sociology) I'm guessing it was for sociology? There's a massive difference between sociology and English (one of Durham's strongest courses and arguably the strongest in the country).

Your grades are excellent, OP, but it is an exceptionally competitive course. Your grades will compete against most of the other applicants (remember, offers are based on only three A-levels, don't be worried about others have four or five A-levels). Don't neglect the personal statement and the reference, it's these that will probably get you the place.
DaveJ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know a guy who got in for Law last year, and whilst he got AAA at A Level, he was by no means a genius. I doubt he'd have got into Oxbridge.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DaveJ)
I know a guy who got in for Law last year, and whilst he got AAA at A Level, he was by no means a genius. I doubt he'd have got into Oxbridge.
But, then again, Durham's law school isn't as strong as Oxford's or Cambridge's (it is, however, next best alongside the other elite schools like UCL, LSE, Bristol and KCL). Durham's English department is as strong as Cambridge's and Oxford's (at least in my opinion) and do have higher entry standards.
WokSz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ooo, the wine tasting society? What's it like? I'm really tempted to try it out!
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by WokSz)
ooo, the wine tasting society? What's it like? I'm really tempted to try it out!
Come to my house, I'll show you :p:
kat2pult
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Yes, but with the greatest respect to you (and sociology) I'm guessing it was for sociology? There's a massive difference between sociology and English (one of Durham's strongest courses and arguably the strongest in the country).
Oh yes, I'm quite aware of that, I was just trying to add a little light at the end of the tunnel, although, let's face it, does one with straight A's need much light?!
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some people should really use their loaf for a change.
WokSz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Haha. You cheeky Historian, you.
Prince-Myshkin
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by pineapplesmoothie)
I've been told that Durham can be more difficult to get into than Oxbridge...

9 A*/A grade GCSEs, from a poor school.

AS Levels: AAA

Predicted A Levels: AAA plus an A in Critical thinking (not always valued) and a predicted A in an AS Level I have taken.

Lots of extra curricular stuff...

Feel it is not enough against AAAAA grade candidates from private school?!
Firstly, your grades are suitable for the course, obviously they're not out of this world, but will certianly be a plus point rather than a minue one.

The fact that you got them from a "poor school" will make them stand out even more. Though there may be some exceptions, i would hazard a guess that the majority of applicants for the course will only be sitting 3 A2's (as you are), and therefore as long as you get the right marks, these A's will be valued more than someone who has gone to a private school.
Kettensägenmassaker
Report 10 years ago
that sounds so shady. :eek:
Reblet
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Your grades sound fine, it's worth a shot. If you do get a rejection it won't be because of your school. I see no reason why with a good PS and reference you shouldn't stand a good chance.
Piggsil
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
*wonders what the OP considers to be a "poor school"*

:ninja:
fairy spangles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kat2pult)
I got offered a place from Durham, and I got no A*s at GCSE (ABBBCCCCCDE) and CDD at AS level.

Anything is possible!

same here but change AS to A level - well i got CCC and pretty much the same GCSE's.
Damn it i was a lazy bugger back then!! I still graduated just the same though.
fairy spangles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

I didnt think durham did sociology!!
And nope not me the first time - i didnt do sociology.
Humm i think i talk myself into stuff.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sociology at Durham used to be a very strong department but all the good people started leaving.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (203)
27.58%
No (533)
72.42%

Watched Threads