Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've paid and sent my application off for a reference only to be told I've done it wrong. When I get it back, will I need to pay again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    I've paid and sent my application off for a reference only to be told I've done it wrong. When I get it back, will I need to pay again?
    No. This is presumably your referee sending your application back to you, which means it hasn't got as far as UCAS yet anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juustuburger)
    Alright, I'm having a dull afternoon so thought I'd put together a little FAQ sort of thing on applying to University. All of these questions come up quite a lot, so maybe this might help one or two people along the way.

Disclaimer: All of the answers come from my own research, and reading plenty of threads on the topics. I don't work for UCAS, and there's more educated people than me on these topics. However I believe that most answers stated are accurate.

That's about all I can think of for now, but hope that this helps in some way
    Hey I completed my A levels last year and I got BCC and C in AS and I'm going to retake modules in order to push my grades up. I am applying this year and I am going to use the reference which was used in my previous application of last year. I am going to apply for a Business and management degree and I was wondering in the UCAS application, how can a private candidate notify the universities that they are currently hoping to achieve for example BBB through resits privately due to the requirements of 300 points. I mean I can't get someone to predict me becuase i'm a private candidate. And will the universities make me a conditional offer based on the fact that im resitting privately and that I hope to get BBB?

Any help will be greatly appreciated
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by footballcrazy12)
    Hey I completed my A levels last year and I got BCC and C in AS and I'm going to retake modules in order to push my grades up. I am applying this year and I am going to use the reference which was used in my previous application of last year. I am going to apply for a Business and management degree and I was wondering in the UCAS application, how can a private candidate notify the universities that they are currently hoping to achieve for example BBB through resits privately due to the requirements of 300 points. I mean I can't get someone to predict me becuase i'm a private candidate. And will the universities make me a conditional offer based on the fact that im resitting privately and that I hope to get BBB?

Any help will be greatly appreciated
    thanks
    I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think the subjects you're retaking should be put down again, with the institution being where you are sitting the exams, and your attendance as "part-time". This will show where you are technically entered to take them at.

You should then make it clear in the reference, and perhaps the Personal Statement, that you are resitting. The universities will then notice this. Needless to say you're going to need insurance options that'll take your current grades, too.

This is a similiar situation to my GCSE Maths resit, and that is what I've done (and received offers), so it seems like the right solution.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you to the person who decided to give me the negative 300 reputation for, you know, trying to be helpful.

Don't really fancy sticking around here now, seeing as I'll eternally look like a "troll" because of that.

ReputationRep:
    Iv'e only recentley started to consider a gap year now but I would still like to apply. Anyone got any advice on whether I should apply for defferred entry 2010 ?
    or apply for entry 2009 and then If i decide to take a gap year, to contact the Uni directly afterwards and ask for a deferred entry.(Iv'e heard that this usually isn't a problem).

Also, If you apply for a defferred entry is it possible to change your mind & ask to start in 2009, for example?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by collegedropout)
    Also, If you apply for a defferred entry is it possible to change your mind & ask to start in 2009, for example?
    I know someone who managed to do this with no problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by collegedropout)
    Iv'e only recentley started to consider a gap year now but I would still like to apply. Anyone got any advice on whether I should apply for defferred entry 2010 ?
    or apply for entry 2009 and then If i decide to take a gap year, to contact the Uni directly afterwards and ask for a deferred entry.(Iv'e heard that this usually isn't a problem).

It has been done, in both directions, but it isn't always possible so don't count on it. The bringing forward of your start date from 2010 to 2009 is likely to be more difficult to negotiate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juustuburger)
    I'm withdrawing this FAQ and the help it potentially dared to provide due to the mass of negative reputation I received off one user because it was too helpful and dared to take up "more sticky space". I'm also not going to be sticking around and am about to scramble my password, meaning this account won't be back.

Sorry if it, you know, helped anyone along the way.
    Maybe this should be unstickied...?

ReputationRep:
    hi,

the ucas page says that ucas has 'processed' my application.

Does this mean, that the universities have now recieved my application?
    how long does the track information take to come through?
    how long till I rhear from the universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dream123)
    how long till I rhear from the universities?
    Depends how busy they are.

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I've applied to UCAS without putting my predicted grades. Of course, it's not that I don't want to show them, but I simply don't have them. What should I do?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jedrek.baranczak)
    Hey. I've applied to UCAS without putting my predicted grades. Of course, it's not that I don't want to show them, but I simply don't have them. What should I do?
    Why don't you have them? Assuming you're applying independently then it's perfectly OK for you to put down what you are expecting to get as your predicted grades - they don't necessarily have to come from your referee so long as your referee doesn't have a problem with what you put.

If you've already submitted your application then you're best off writing directly to each of your universities and explaining why you haven't included predictions in your application but giving them some indication of the grades you are expecting to get.

ReputationRep:
    hey people,
    there is this thing...
    i ve changed one of my choices recently and it got varified by email that everythings fine.
    BUT today i received a a request to confirm my qualifications from the university that has been deleted from my choices.
    what is this? should i answer them and explain everything or should i carry on fufilling what they ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ogybyte)
    hey people,
    there is this thing...
    i ve changed one of my choices recently and it got varified by email that everythings fine.
    BUT today i received a a request to confirm my qualifications from the university that has been deleted from my choices.
    what is this? should i answer them and explain everything or should i carry on fufilling what they ask?
    I would just ignore; the request was likely processed before they had updated you to withdrawn status and if you give them the info now it will only confuse them. I once got an offer (via post) from a course I'd already substituted...

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.