Turn on thread page Beta

Do you sometimes feel like running away and living life completely differently? watch

ReputationRep:
    I frequently get the urge to run away. Not to anywhere remote, just somewhere new so I can start over as it were. Somewhere where no-one knew me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rottenapple786)
    My town sucks ass too. Could it be the same as yours?
    haha, possibly, i live in Devon. Most places here are LOVELY but there's one littel town that is full of jack asses and chavs ect. Do not move to Crediton for a fresh start anyone. It's truely bum bum. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I would like to get out of the busy city lifestyle and go somewhere else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HappinessHappening)
    Do you sometimes wonder whether you ought to just pack your bags and go?

I was watching a documentary about a tribal community living in the Amazon rainforest the other week and I couldn't help but think: 'they haven't got plasma TVs or cars or central heating, but God they look happy. They don't look remotely alienated from one another.'
    In an environment like that, I can imagine the possibility of developing real, genuine human relationships and living life fully in the proper sense of the term. Sometimes I just feel like I'm working my arse off for a future I don't actually want but is essentially forced upon me by societal pressure.

Do you ever feel like going away and being a subsistence farmer in the jungle or something with a truly strong community of family and friends around? A community where you are never lonely but where solitude is still possible and where alienation is not an inherent part of living?

Or if not that extreme, just packing your bags and going off to a remote island or . . . something.

I know that probably sounds odd. What are your thoughts? :p:
    totally... sometimes i wonder what the **** i am doing with my life - thats when i get depressed (which is fairly frequent)

ReputationRep:
    Ive sometimes wanted to do it just to see how long it was before someone realised i wasnt there anymore. i reckon it could be a couple of days before they thought 'hmm havent seen her for a while'

But yeah i think so. Im so reliant on modern life and technology that i would really like to have a break from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles_Blossom_Buttercup)
    haha, possibly, i live in Devon. Most places here are LOVELY but there's one littel town that is full of jack asses and chavs ect. Do not move to Crediton for a fresh start anyone. It's truely bum bum. :yep:
    lol I live in Devon as well. I'm Exeter though. Not bad but not all that great either. And we have our fair share of scummy chavs as well :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Can't say I feel that. Life is great at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHAMON)
    Can't say I feel that. Life is great at the moment.
    Someone who is actually happy?

*neg reps*

ReputationRep:

I was watching a documentary about a tribal community living in the Amazon rainforest the other week and I couldn't help but think: 'they haven't got plasma TVs or cars or central heating, but God they look happy. They don't look remotely alienated from one another.'
    In an environment like that, I can imagine the possibility of developing real, genuine human relationships and living life fully in the proper sense of the term. Sometimes I just feel like I'm working my arse off for a future I don't actually want but is essentially forced upon me by societal pressure.

Do you ever feel like going away and being a subsistence farmer in the jungle or something with a truly strong community of family and friends around? A community where you are never lonely but where solitude is still possible and where alienation is not an inherent part of living?

Or if not that extreme, just packing your bags and going off to a remote island or . . . something.

I couldn't agree with you more. If I could I would. Not to a remote place but relatively remote.
    That sort of community would be good.
    I definitely want to emigrate. As soon as possible.
    Thing is I have no idea where to go.

ReputationRep:
    My husband often talks about living somewhere really remote in another country away from tv, computers, bills, debts , phones etc. TBH it sounds idyllic, but I"m not sure I"d have the balls to carry it through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Rose)
    I couldn't agree with you more. If I could I would. Not to a remote place but relatively remote.
    That sort of community would be good.
    I definitely want to emigrate. As soon as possible.
    Thing is I have no idea where to go.
    This is exactly how I feel.

It reminds me of a part in a Harold Pinter play actually:

Stanley Webber: How would you like to go away with me?
    Lulu: What?
    Stanley Webber: How would you like to go away with me?
    Lulu: Where would we go?
    Stanley Webber: Nowhere...
    Lulu: Well that's a charming proposal.
    Stanley Webber: There's nowhere to go, so we could just go, it wouldn't matter.
    Lulu: We might as well stay here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomm)
    Someone who is actually happy?

*neg reps*
    lol, yeah.

More neg? damn :no:

ReputationRep:

That ^ really bugs me.

And yes I feel that way A LOT. You're not alone OP.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know any of you, but we should all board a boat and sail to some remote island and start a new society there.

I'd give it 3 weeks before it started to go a bit Lord of the Flies.

ReputationRep:
    It's easy to idealise something when you're watching it on a TV screen. I'm sure as a society they have their problems, just as we have ours.

And yes to the original question, I'm sure everyone does.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to spent a portion of my life - no matter how short - living as a hermit

ReputationRep:
    I'd sometimes like to run away, just get away, go someplace, and do all the things I never seem to have time for, like writing a book, or becoming better at piano, something like that, where theres no bad societies of murder, no cares, no worries, just me, and the things I love.

ReputationRep:
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I've just been talking to my friends about it. They all said that they feel something is missing in the way they are living at the moment - something fundamental that they can't put their finger on. Even if the solution isn't running away to a desert island, they still said that there is something not quite right. Do you never actually feel that way even remotely?

Sure I don't feel alienated from family and friends, but don't you ever notice the amount of ignorance and indifference around? I sit in lecture theatres with hundreds of people and don't feel like I know any of them at all. Nobody just says 'hello' in the streets to strangers. Why would it be considered weird to do that? Why???

Underlying problem? That's just it. That's what I mean precisely. There is indeed an underlying problem, in my opinion, with the way we are expected to carry on with modern living. I just wondered whether people felt the same.

yup, its true. never even get a hello from random old codgers anymore.. that's when you know how crap things really are!

ReputationRep:
    I've spent time in remote areas of developing countries in the past and really enjoyed it.

I had a 6 month job as a doctor in Sudan hooked up to start from August this year and then upto 3 years as a surgeon in remote South Africa after that... but sadly I got a job offer I'd have been mad to refuse in the UK So am stuck here for a few years at least. Sucks :\

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.