Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanyore)
    As Hobnob said, Scottish University. I think Scottish MAs are considered equivalent to British BAs, but I could be wrong. You will have to pay for the extra year, but the tuition fee for each year is less than half the maximum ( 3,145) so in terms of tuition, 4 years at Edinburgh is the same as/cheaper than 3 years at a good English University. However, the cost of living at Edinburgh will make you cower back in fear; I think the minimum their accomodation costs is 120 pw. And they have 36 week years, I think.
    Minimum catered, yes. Not minimum self catered. Pollock (the catered halls) is an absolute rip off in terms of what you pay and what you get, but is still over subscribed each year as thousands of students (well, their parents I guess) are willing to pay it, so obviously they're going to keep the prices sky high. Self catered is more around £80-90 a week I think, and is much better. Edinburgh is expensive, yes, I'll give you that- its a capital city after all. The amount of loan you will recieve is not relational to the cost of living here, not because the university charges a lot, more because as a city Edinburgh is expensive. I think we should get the same loan as London people as we're capital-ites too.

And you won't automatically be rejected or whatever if you're not offering AAA or AAB. Its what you say which counts, not what you offer.

ReputationRep:
    have a look at the unistats website. For each broad subject area (not course), it gives the average and range of UCAS points score for each university. You can then compare that to your own predictions to see how you stand to applicants who were actually admitted. UCAS points do include stuff like general studies though and people doing 4 A2s, so it's not perfect.

Also Edinburgh are one of the very few unis to publish full admissions statistics, so you can see how many people apply, get offers, accept them. http://www.sra.ed.ac.uk/admissions/S...istics2007.htm

ReputationRep:
    Both lovely cities, both uni's very well respected, both challenging degrees. If you're thinking of applying to Edinburgh then there's no reason why you shouldn't apply for Exeter really. They're both as hard as eachother to get in (ish). The Streatham Campus is generally the better respected one of the two Exeter campuses, but the Cornwall Campus has a much more traditional degree, and of course Cornwall's lavely.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 26, 2008

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.