Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PieMaster)
    Somewhere in /dev there will be a location which is the thermal sensor, cat would read that to the terminal (and you call yourself a Linux user... :p:)

If its corrupt in the BIOS, its a hardware fault though.
    Yep, what he said (it'd just confirm whether it had gone faulty through the known overheating issue, in which case you should be able to rma it without much trouble)

ReputationRep:
    kay what exactly should i cat? theres a whole bunch of things and i don't know what many of them are and none of them sound like anything i care about

tbh, it's ****** and there's nothing i can do about it except buy a new mobo or buy a new laptop

got my proper install working with the nv driver at least. that's what i have to put up with looks like im going to be buying a third mobo for my laptop... how likely is this to happen again do you know? is it foolish getting the same defective nvidia chipset?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    got my proper install working with the nv driver at least. that's what i have to put up with looks like im going to be buying a third mobo for my laptop... how likely is this to happen again do you know? is it foolish getting the same defective nvidia chipset?
    nVidia did have a load of issues with laptop chips recently, I forget which were affected.

Have a look at nvclock the -i option will echo the current status, and it looks like you can setup some kind of monitoring. You might want to consider running it on windows for a bit when you get the new one, so you can monitor the stability under the more mainstream drivers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PieMaster)
    nVidia did have a load of issues with laptop chips recently, I forget which were affected.

Have a look at nvclock the -i option will echo the current status, and it looks like you can setup some kind of monitoring. You might want to consider running it on windows for a bit when you get the new one, so you can monitor the stability under the more mainstream drivers.
    nice, ill look in to that. they say on the nvidia website that they patched "the drivers" to kick in the fans sooner... but that means nothing to a linux user because our drivers lag so far behind. might be a necessity to install windows i guess. the REALLY odd thing is, a while back it would over heat on a very regular basis because the thermal paste on the gpu was cheap stuff and didn't work. it did this many many times (whenever i used something 3d) and each time it would just switch off and be fine after i let it cool off. so i find it really hard to believe this is an over heating issue...

ReputationRep:
    Create a thread over on the Ubuntu forums if you haven't already. You'll get an instant response from a load of linux geniuses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kemik)
    Create a thread over on the Ubuntu forums if you haven't already. You'll get an instant response from a load of linux geniuses.
    lol, yeah right.

i think the last 6 threads i have made there just got buried with no or only useless replies

ReputationRep:
    nvclock reports it's at 48 - 49 degrees C under this minimal use. is that good? bad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura373)
    don't mean to sound thick... but how are you posting on here if it's bust?
    You have much to learn young one...

ReputationRep:
    i haven't slept properly in over 30 hours so i think i'm going to sleep now. thanks all for the replies

ReputationRep:
    Phone the manufacturer of the laptop.
    they normal help if it hasn't been a year since you bought it.

they may even replace it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    nvclock reports it's at 48 - 49 degrees C under this minimal use. is that good? bad?
    Those temps should be fine. Only really need to get worried when they hit late 70's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ethiokid)
    Phone the manufacturer of the laptop.
    they normal help if it hasn't been a year since you bought it.

they may even replace it
    i've sent them an email, but i bought it christmas time 2 years ago and have cracked open the case a few times so any warranty i might have had will definitely be gone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    i've sent them an email, but i bought it christmas time 2 years ago and have cracked open the case a few times so any warranty i might have had will definitely be gone!
    still contact them they may beable to repair it for you
    although it may cost a little

ReputationRep:
    Any reason to dredge up a post from almost four months ago? :curious:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 9, 2009
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.