Why would you want to join RAF? Watch

newboyintown
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Just like Homer J. Simpson would be happy to hear about treat lol.. just joking.
GR29KHS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
He would be very happy - although I think I should be changing my sig quote again soon, that one's been there a while.
newboyintown
Rep:
?
And you have already taken it off. Was a good laugh though.
GR29KHS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nope, from what I can make out your signature will only appear once in a page. It's still there.

Edit: or not it would seem - maybe if you post more than once in a set time period it dissapears?
newboyintown
Rep:
?
Think it's once every page. The last page has the signature once and on this page it's showing on the first post.
furry747
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've got a filter interview tomorrow :eek: for my 6th form scholarship!

I hope it goes really well

And I want to join the RAF because I want a career with great prospects, an excellent standard of life, and I love aviation/flying! I believe that the roles of the RAF are ones that I believe in, like helping others in not so stable countries, like Iraq and Afghanistan. I want to help, along with others, to make a safer, happier and better world to live in.
Dark Sun
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Why do I want to join?

I Served in the TA for a few years, deployed operationally to Iraq and Afghanistan and worked alongside the RAF, so impressed was I by thier professionalism that I was inspired to join them as an officer, went to Cranwell, passed OASC and now I'm waiting to start training in March 09.
Basically they are a good bunch of people, highly trained, highly motivated and universally highly respected, oh and they get to fly and use some of the coolest kit in the world.
will1989
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
pilot was a dream for me from childhood until 1 year ago. then, out of the blue, I wanted to be a barrister.

it was mostly because I knew that if I was a pilot I'd be over my prime at 38 ish but if I'm a barrister/QC, I won't even have started by then :P not to mention the fact I could bymeself a light aircraft anyway. :woo:
newboyintown
Rep:
?
Well, I guess I should tell you guys why I decided to go for RAF.

I was an Air Cadet, liked every moment of it. The challanges, the activities. Wanted to become a Pilot but then found out that I am short sighted.

At that time being Pilot was only the dream and wasn't sure if I would go for any other branches or not.

Joined Uni, course was well and good, finished. In between went to AFCO as being in the Air Force was always there in the back of my head. But later decided to wait till I finish the degree.

Then again started working. Hated the life where there is no discipline, people taking advantage, using my skills to their advantage but not giving anything back. Lack of respect, lack of support, so left and started own business solo and tried not think about RAF as business is going well.

Beginning of this year met a friend who was with me at the Air Cadets then the thought of joining kicked in again. lol

Forgot to tell you guys that in the mean time I have already married and have a 15 month old girl. So I wasn't really sure if I would want to join or not.

Thought about all the advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages :

1. A well organised Force that is professional to the highest of standards.

2. Working for the country and also for International Peacekeeping.

3. The training and the opportunity to progress is greater than anywhere else.

4. Finally the satisfaction I would get out if it would be immense.

5. Travelling, other activities that you cannot get anywhere else.

Disadvantages:

1. Being married and with a kid I will be away from the for the initial training period (although there is weekends and weeks off after every 10 weeks) it would be hard for the wify to look after the kid.
2. Their security - because some people don't like the army because of the war situation (although don't realise that if something happened to this country the armed forced would be where they would seek protection).
3. Giving up a successful business - not that I am earning a lot - but modest amount and without anyones help. What you earn is what you keep lol

Then was talking to the the mrs. and how I felt. She was quite supportive and then I felt a buzz. This is something I want to do.

But hey didn't realise the amount of studies I need to do. It's kinda hard for me because when i go home the lil girl comes running to her dad and wants to play - not enought time to study, the wify wants to have some chat - can't ignore that (she'z the Boss in the house lol).

So struggling a bit.

Gosh didn't realise it will become an essay. But hey thats the whole truth and nothing but the truth lol
furry747
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by newboyintown)
Well, I guess I should tell you guys why I decided to go for RAF.

I was an Air Cadet, liked every moment of it. The challanges, the activities. Wanted to become a Pilot but then found out that I am short sighted.
One of the biggest reasons for me to join in 2010. I LOVE cadets, to me, it's not just a hobby, but a way of life, and once you are in, I think it would be hard to get out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (257)
26.94%
No (697)
73.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise