Is the University of Nottingham still regarded as a prestigous university? Watch

This discussion is closed.
LH123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Another WOLLSMOTH gem.
LozengeC
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But if you look at employers, most of them will be 40+ in senior positions, and they're not going to be researching which unis are best all the time, they probably still think of the universities as when they were younger. :p: It's the same with GCSEs and A levels, they didn't do them, so they don't understand them fully. For example some employers don't see the difference between a C and an A at GCSE.

This all varies on the perspective of the employers anyway. If they're located in Nottingham, they'll be far more likely to know a lot about the University, and have met some brilliant graduates from there, than say Bristol, and so they personally may prefer it.

Plus Derby's very near the bottom of the league tables, and yet it's supposedly the best Law course in the country, so it's all relative to your subject anyway.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by WOLLSMOTH)
No it isn't

It's only good for economics.
The mighty Wollmsoth has spoken :rolleyes:

It only has a great law department (and around 30 others that have been rated excellent).

(Original post by LozengeC)
Plus Derby's very near the bottom of the league tables, and yet it's supposedly the best Law course in the country, so it's all relative to your subject anyway.
:laugh: According to who? The Guardian? With respect to Derby, that's nonsense.
LozengeC
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know, I was told by quite a few people actually. And it may be, as they may have close links with the courts in Derby (and lots of crime in areas like Chellaston). :p:

And I've heard that the QMC's well respected as a Teaching Hospital. Is that true? I know Leicester's well thought of with regards to cardiology. And Nottingham invented the nMRI, which is used globally, but is it famous for much else?
WOLLSMOTH
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by River85)
The mighty Wollmsoth has spoken :rolleyes:

It only has a great law department (and around 30 others that have been rated excellent).

Ask anybody what they think Nottingham's best department is

They will say economics.

I didn't even know they taught law.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by LozengeC)
I don't know, I was told by quite a few people actually. And it may be, as they may have close links with the courts in Derby (and lots of crime in areas like Chellaston). :p:
Well, yes, but nowhere near Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, UCL etc. at the bar.
LozengeC
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
But if they go out into the streets they can see the law in action! :thumbsup: Or not, as the case is more likely. :p:
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

They will say economics.
Did I say it wasn't a great department? It is, and arguably Nottingham's strength (one of the two or three strongest departments). It doesn't mean that it's only good for economics though.

That's not really suprising, is it?
Antonia87
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No it isn't

That's total rubbish and you know it is.
Magical Moogles
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No it isn't

Oh dear....:rolleyes:

OP: Nottingham may of gone down a few in the league tables, but who cares? Nottingham's standards have not dropped. All this Top 10 university business is driving me insane! :woo:

Nottingham is not the only example where a university which is not in the top can be good. You're disregarding other great universities, such as Exeter, Southampton, Edinburgh, Bath, Birmingham and so on, some of which I would prefer to go too than the "top 10" universities.
AfghanistanBananistan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh honestly this topic has been done to death. Look i agree with Broadsword. The people who say Nottingham is barely top 20 and on the same level as Newcastle, Soton, etc are just Ignorant, afterall are they apparantly 'prime alternatives to oxbridge' - NO. Why? well because they have no idea of a university beyond the 2009times guide, yet proclaim to know everything. The fact that the OP said 'still' just shows that it was prestigous and the vast majority would agree that it was. However, granted this has gone done a little recently (due to bad rankings and slightly lower entry standards) but not THAT much. I mean look at its current rankings, 16th in the Times (not 19th) and 13th in the Sunday Times (not 15th, and also better than Bristol, Edinurgh and Kings), there not that bad and has only slipped by 3-4 places from where it traditionally was. As for entry standards, as Broadsword said they traditionally had some of the highest (accroding to the University's own stats they averaged the 7th highest throughout the 90's) which demonstrates that they were always elite since records began, coupled with traditionally having the highest application per place ratios of any university. Granted these have slipped recently, but only in the last 2 years (according to the TUG down from 431 in 2007 to 404 in 2009) and this was because of a massive slip in applications and the same would happen to any university if their applications per place went from 10 to 6 in 3 years. Therefore, for people to simply say 'oh Nottingham isnt good because it has the same entry standards as Birmingham and Soton and nowhere near Bristol and St Andrews' are just ignorant because they dont know the facts, ie that Nottingham always had better entry standards than the latter two and the first two have never ever been at that standard.

So therefore, it is still prestigous because you cant go from being prestigous for 15 years then not in the space of 3. Yes if it continues to slip it wont be, but noone can see into the future (or at least i cant)

If you want an unbiased view of Nottingham's so called prestigue then look at its profile in the various guides, i found these and its quite interesting to compare this years to a few years ago because it does tend to show its slight demise, going from 'ever present in our top 10', to 'always knocking on the door of'.

http://www.nottingham.edu.my/News/Ne...0Top%20Ten.pdf

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...fset=24&page=3

Rant over.
Broadsword
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by AfghanistanBananistan)
Oh honestly this topic has been done to death. Look i agree with Broadsword. The people who say Nottingham is barely top 20 and on the same level as Newcastle, Soton, etc are just Ignorant, afterall are they apparantly 'prime alternatives to oxbridge' - NO. Why? well because they have no idea of a university beyond the 2009times guide, yet proclaim to know everything. The fact that the OP said 'still' just shows that it was prestigous and the vast majority would agree that it was. However, granted this has gone done a little recently (due to bad rankings and slightly lower entry standards) but not THAT much. I mean look at its current rankings, 16th in the Times (not 19th) and 13th in the Sunday Times (not 15th, and also better than Bristol, Edinurgh and Kings), there not that bad and has only slipped by 3-4 places from where it traditionally was. As for entry standards, as Broadsword said they traditionally had some of the highest (accroding to the University's own stats they averaged the 7th highest throughout the 90's) which demonstrates that they were always elite since records began, coupled with traditionally having the highest application per place ratios of any university. Granted these have slipped recently, but only in the last 2 years (according to the TUG down from 431 in 2007 to 404 in 2009) and this was because of a massive slip in applications and the same would happen to any university if their applications per place went from 10 to 6 in 3 years. Therefore, for people to simply say 'oh Nottingham isnt good because it has the same entry standards as Birmingham and Soton and nowhere near Bristol and St Andrews' are just ignorant because they dont know the facts, ie that Nottingham always had better entry standards than the latter two and the first two have never ever been at that standard.

So therefore, it is still prestigous because you cant go from being prestigous for 15 years then not in the space of 3. Yes if it continues to slip it wont be, but noone can see into the future (or at least i cant)

If you want an unbiased view of Nottingham's so called prestigue then look at its profile in the various guides, i found these and its quite interesting to compare this years to a few years ago because it does tend to show its slight demise, going from 'ever present in our top 10', to 'always knocking on the door of'.

http://www.nottingham.edu.my/News/Ne...0Top%20Ten.pdf

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...fset=24&page=3

Rant over.
Quite interesting reading those 2 links, def shows how it has gone down a bit in terms of 'prestige.' Its also funny how the university has started to be less glowing of itself in its prospectus, taking out the 'part of Britains ivy league' and 'one of the top ten' statements, perhaps feel they cant claim that anymore. TBH I do like reading the times and sunday times guides as they are always very glowing about nottingham, even though they then proceed to rank it poorly!
Tomber
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hahahaha!

Wollsmoth, that drawn on beard is a stroke of genius.
Ollie87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's still a top uni, but I don't think it carries the same prestige it did a few years ago. It was a much more sought after destination when I applied in 2005. I'd say it's still part of that group that people have mentioned - Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh, Warwick, York etc.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Medicine, without a single doubt, pharmacy next.
There's a lot you don't know, like how to grow proper facial hair for example.
abdom0n
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by .ACS.)
No. It's a decent and solid university, no doubt, but so is Southampton, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, etc.

Nottingham has never really been 'prestigious', and to be honest, while it will always hold its weight within the Top 20, it won't really be prestigious in the same way as the Top 5.
Spot on... It was never was a prestigious University by any means. It is not considered a top 10 by any league table for many years.

It is a top20 University on the same level as the institutions mentioned above.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It wierd the number of people who have said that nottingham is receding into the shadows because it can't brag about itself anymore. Is this the same university I worked for? During my time as a member of staff the university painted on its entrance signs the fact that it won a times higher education award, has had a banner on all its websites saying 'Ranked a UK top 10 university and Global top 75 university' and instituted a researcher branding logo that had to be put on all presentations and posters saying 'world changing research'. Whatever you think of the university it certainly isn't true that the university administration think anything other than that it is a major player in the UK and the world.
abdom0n
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
It wierd the number of people who have said that nottingham is receding into the shadows because it can't brag about itself anymore. Is this the same university I worked for? During my time as a member of staff the university painted on its entrance signs the fact that it won a times higher education award, has had a banner on all its websites saying 'Ranked a UK top 10 university and Global top 75 university' and instituted a researcher branding logo that had to be put on all presentations and posters saying 'world changing research'. Whatever you think of the university it certainly isn't true that the university administration think anything other than that it is a major player in the UK and the world.
Notice how they have removed that banner from the website haha!
abdom0n
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Shall we just look at the facts, and ignore bias reviews from Broadsword and Afghanistanwhateverhisnameis.

I will compile a list of top 10 Universities based on Research/Teaching/Entry requirements/International rep.

Research:

Cambridge
LSE
Oxford
Imperial
Warwick
UCL
York
Lancaster
Southampton
St Andrews

Teaching:

Cambridge
Loughborough
York
LSE
Oxford
Imperial
Warwick
KCL
Leicester
Bath

Entry Standards (UCAS Points)

Cambridge(518)
Oxford(502)
Imperial(473)
LSE(469)
Warwick(448)
St Andrews(446)
UCL(434)
Edinburgh(430)
Bristol(430)
Bath(428)

International Reputation (THES World Rankings 2008):

Cambridge(3)
Oxford(4)
Imperial(6)
UCL(7)
KCL(22)
Edinburgh(23)
Manchester(29)
Bristol(32)
LSE(64)
Warwick(69)
River85
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by abdom0n)
Shall we just look at the facts, and ignore bias reviews from Broadsword and Afghanistanwhateverhisnameis.

I will compile a list of top 10 Universities based on Research/Teaching/Entry requirements/International rep.

Research:

Cambridge
LSE
Oxford
Imperial
Warwick
UCL
York
Lancaster
Southampton
St Andrews

Teaching:

Cambridge
Loughborough
York
LSE
Oxford
Imperial
Warwick
KCL
Leicester
Bath

Entry Standards (UCAS Points)

Cambridge(518)
Oxford(502)
Imperial(473)
LSE(469)
Warwick(448)
St Andrews(446)
UCL(434)
Edinburgh(430)
Bristol(430)
Bath(428)
Where on earth did you pull the teaching and research from? Also, you've missed a few universities (yes, Durham being one of them).

Edit: - Also, how is a set of statistics less biased than someone's opinion? It still doesn't paint the full picture.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (207)
18.5%
No (681)
60.86%
Not really bothered about them (231)
20.64%

Watched Threads