Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MC REN)
    But the animal is dead. I think a girl in a nice fur coat looks better than a corpse, generally.
    Which animal is dead? You mean the one someone killed? Wait... if there was no human to kill it, wouldn't it still be alive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerrystevens)
    A difficult one! As an animal lover I say no, but I eat meat and wear leather shoes. I think if the fur was sourced ethically then I would.

Kerry
    What do you mean by sourcing fur ethically?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    the same can be said about eating meat, leather, the average carton of milk.

If you are morally obliged not to wear fur, does that also mean you won't wear leather? eat meat?

depends what your morals are obviously, but I think the concepts are pretty interlinked most of the time.
    I stand by my morals, and yes, I do not consume meat and have banished all my leather products. Nor do I use any cosmetics that are animal-tested. However I've still yet to make the transition to being a full vegan, but I'm getting there.

I'd like to clarify and make a point though - I think there are different 'moral standings' for what skin and furs one can wear. If it's something like snake skin, which a snake naturally sheds and collecting their skins does not harm the snakes themselves, it's fine. It's the idea and process of causing pain to the animal that I'm most against.

ReputationRep:
    Some people are wacko.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperbagmonster)
    I stand by my morals, and yes, I do not consume meat and have banished all my leather products. Nor do I use any cosmetics that are animal-tested. However I've still yet to make the transition to being a full vegan, but I'm getting there.

I'd like to clarify and make a point though - I think there are different 'moral standings' for what skin and furs one can wear. If it's something like snake skin, which a snake naturally sheds and collecting their skins does not harm the snakes themselves, it's fine. It's the idea and process of causing pain to the animal that I'm most against.

ah I wasn't trying to challenge you, but by quoting you I could not have to type as much, it helped me to develop my point and make it clear what I was saying

ReputationRep:
    ah I wasn't trying to challenge you, but by quoting you I could not have to type as much, it helped me to develop my point and make it clear what I was saying
    It's fine, I'm not challenging you either XP Sorry if I came off a bit aggressive on my stance. Just trying to state my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    Which animal is dead? You mean the one someone killed? Wait... if there was no human to kill it, wouldn't it still be alive?
    No, it would still die eventually.

ReputationRep:
    And it would help another carnivore survive... or die because it's too old but mother nature still finds a use for everything on a dead body. Humans don't.

ReputationRep:
    I've got no problem with it, though I wouldn't try it because of what people might do.

ReputationRep:
    I love fur. Synthetic fur doesn't even come close. If I saw a fur coat in a shop, and I could afford it, I would buy it. I'd never ask for one to be made especially for me, but if it's already in the shop, I wouldn't have any issue buying it.

ReputationRep:
    you'll die eventually, does that make it okay to kill you for your skin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    And it would help another carnivore survive... or die because it's too old but mother nature still finds a use for everything on a dead body. Humans don't.
    What if the carnivore stripped its skin and then made a coat?

But also, the last bit of your post is ridiculous - mother nature does practically nothing with skin/bones, etc whereas humans clearly do (for e.g. they make clothes).

ReputationRep:
    Real fur?....blurrghhhhh no thanks. Fur looks better on the animal than it does on a human.

ReputationRep:
    you'll die eventually, does that make it okay to kill you for your skin?
    No. I really don't think it is the same, stop making lazy statements.

Look at Native Indians, they were as close to nature and the spiritual way of life as could be really yet they still killed animals for their fur - they had to to survive. Doing that isn't different to animals killing other animals and stuff.

Granted we don't necessarily need to wear fur/use leather anymore (or eat meat for that matter) but we do and it is steeped in tradition and is not going to be changed overnight. We breed animals for food, we breed them for clothes and we breed them to test drugs - the animals wouldn't be running free, they wouldn't exist if it weren't for the farmers in many cases. I think a lot of people who hunt pelts would sell the meat as well (probably not for like mink and stuff to be fair though) so it isn't as though it all goes to waste.

If some animal killed some other animal and dressed in its carcass to impress a mate then that would be fine in your eyes, and that is no different to the human case. I'm sure some animals do do similar things as well, even if I know of no examples.

ReputationRep:
    I have a panda fur coat.

ReputationRep:
    the problem with fur is that it is sorted according to quality, colour texture etc, not origin or welfare, so the only way you can be sure your fur coat is not from a farm practicing appaling conditions would be to catch kill and skin the animal yourself, I refuse to wear fur, but i do eat meat having visited farms and abbatoirs and seeing the process from start to finish, so I feel comforatble that suffering is minimal and welfare high, which cannot be guarenteed with fur.
    The standard of fake fur now is such that I dont see any reason real fur should be incorperated in fashion

ReputationRep:
    I dont like the idea of it but to be honest Im a meat-eater, a battery-hen-egg- eater and a leather-wearer so I cant really make much of a moral protest on this one.

ReputationRep:
    But the animal is dead. I think a girl in a nice fur coat looks better than a corpse, generally.
    Animals are killed inhumanely for fur though! It's different for things like leather, which is a by-product of meat (usually), but animals like mink and chinchillas aren't eaten, just skinned alive.

I would never wear fur, I think it's disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaun1991)
    I have a panda fur coat.
    Arent Pandas an endangered species?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Arent Pandas an endangered species?

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.