Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxRAFNurse2bxx)
    But the cold weather is making me not want to go running!! I need to sort my life out and then give myself a kick up the arse and get out there!!
    If you are cold then you aren't running fast enough/working hard enough.

... Says the guy that won't go out in anything less than a long sleeve Helly this time of year.

ReputationRep:
    lol. i know you dont feel like it but trust me you need to get used to running in this weather coz you go out in tshirt and shorts regardless of temperature! i remember going round the rugby pitch and having to do press ups and it had to be at least zero degrees. my hands were numb lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PasserBy9)
    If you are cold then you aren't running fast enough/working hard enough.

... Says the guy that won't go out in anything less than a long sleeve Helly this time of year.

I'm fine once I am out and I get running. Infact.. I always feel really good about it afterwards! My motivation for getting out the door is the problem. Mainly because my freinds/bf are all home for christmas and i want to see them!

Trust me... im always swahhhetting! x

:rolleyes: Damn.. i said i didnt drink much., yet here another drunken post. Pah! Its Christmas afterall! :o: Oh.. and how random. I met a guy in the pub who starts halton on the 4th Feb! x

ReputationRep:
    We are going to miss your messages on here, especially the drunken ones on, make sure you keep up the TSR when your at Halton!!! Merry Christmas. xx

ReputationRep:
    on the note of laptops dont play music every night, some of the best nights i had at halton were from when we had no music so we were forced to talk about differnt things thats when you really get to know every one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruhr_Phantom)
    We are going to miss your messages on here, especially the drunken ones
    aww bless ya! Yes. Merry Christmas everyone! I will certainly be back to tell my tale of basic training and thanks everyone for keeping me company while i waited!!!! :rolleyes:

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxRAFNurse2bxx)
    Laptops at Halton. Can anyone confirm?

Im packing my life into my car regardless but will i be aloud my laptop at weekends or will i have to leave it in my car at all times?

x

ps. my ticker is going down far too quickly!! x
    hey N2b

I am in Halton at the moment and took a laptop with me!

we were then informed that we are not to have them and to take them home at the next possible chance and not bring them back!

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the update! Im moving my life with me anyhow to head off to my first posting. Ill leave it in the car if need be and use it at weekends off (when i go to a nice hotel for a relaxing bath/dvd!) !

Got a good time for my 2.4km this morning (Yes.. on Christmas morning! ) and i wanna knock off another 40seconds in the next 12 days! x

ReputationRep:
    Well chaps and chapesses,

My internet will be down as of tonight as i move on to bigger and better things...

See some of you on the 7th, 21st, 4th etc...

And to everyone else, Happy New Year and ill let you know how i get on!!

Tarra for now!!

x

ReputationRep:
    Laptops & DVD players are not permitted for the first 2 weeks (as this is when the recruits are expected to spend all their time sorting their kit out and getting to know each other). After that you can use them. Leave them at home until after your first weekend's leave. If like RAFNurse2b you will not be going home, bring them along (they won't get confiscated!) - only don't use them. If you do get caught, this will show a lack of integrity so expect a whole world of hurt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stan Deezy)
    Laptops are not permitted for the first 2 weeks (as this is when the recruits are expected to spend all their time sorting their kit out and getting to know each other). After that you can use them. Leave them at home until after your first weekend's leave. Bring them along (they won't get confiscated!) - only don't use them. If you do get caught, this will show a lack of integrity so expect a whole world of hurt!

This isnt completely accurate, is it Stan?

As a network administrator of RAF Halton...

I would say it would be severely unwise to bring your laptop in at all and would strongly advise against it,

BUT:

I'm not sure whether DVD - "DISC" players (only & specifically non-pirated DVDs) could be classed as a cyber threat, but... their arguement might be, that there is entertainment within the base.

If in doubt, ask your commanding officer, as I dont have time to update myself on everything that applies to RTS! As Halton is a rather diverse base.

I'm sure they wont bite you for asking if you can bring your DVD player, but my logic tells me, they will bite you VERY HARD for bringing in your laptop! So I wouldnt even attempt it.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    your not allowed laptops in the RAF **** how I am going to chat with my fella grrr this is the one thing I am scared of the most not been able to contact him or see him

ReputationRep:
    You can use your phone when not at work (after evening brief, but you will still have your kit to prep and homework to do)

You can use the welfare internet suite in MGs

You can use your laptop after day 16 - but there is no Wi Fi.

As Koolie has stated, there is always a fear of cyber hackers, but you will not be using your stuff in any building with work computers in them, so this won't be a problem.

(As for 'entertainment on the base' - Koolie pray tell me where)

If all else fails - write a letter!:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by X_BJ_X)
    your not allowed laptops in the RAF **** how I am going to chat with my fella grrr this is the one thing I am scared of the most not been able to contact him or see him
    I think this is the aspect other posters have tried to identify to you. Being in the RAF isn't 9to5 and it isn't in a nice city centre. We do what we do when needed and where needed, so we sometimes work shocking hours in very remote places. Even on the nicest deployed base you will only have e-mail, normal post and have to queue to use the phone - and you could be there for 4 months - or longer!

If you are fretting about 9 weeks of little communication with your b/f whilst in the UK, please look ahead to what might be. You need to understand that you could spend large lumps of time without good links home throughout a career in the RAF - especially as WSOp Crew.

ReputationRep:
    The HIVE (on-site) provides FREE internet access for this purpose. See: http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafhalton/stat...es/thehive.cfm

There is also a cinema on-site (there is also a TV in the Maitland Mess and TVs in the Chiltern)

My point is 'Work with what you are given', should anyone attempt to plug their computer into the network at RAF halton, or attempt anything malicious, it does come under the Computer Misuse Act. Intention is a crime, and potential is included within the Act.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1990..._en_1#pb1-l1g2 (See Para. 4)

"(4) A person may be guilty of an offence under this section even though the facts are such that the commission of the further offence is impossible."

So if anyone steals it, then uses it for that, PROVE it wasnt you! But you would still be guilty of bringing in a device that has potential to be mis-used.

I strongly advise that, you ask what the base provides, and just DONT bring them in!

Even as base-wide network administrators, we are restricted as to what we can bring in/use and how we use them. (And I'm the equivalent of a commissioned officer!)

Recruits are no exception.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm ok think i will just take my mobile phone lots of paper envelopes and stamps and lots off pictures lol guess it wont be forever that I wont see my boyfriend he said he would wait as long as it takes so atleast I have his support and love and he is letting me do what I want to do in life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koolie)
    The HIVE (on-site) provides FREE internet access for this purpose. See: http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafhalton/stat...es/thehive.cfm

There is also a cinema on-site (there is also a TV in the Maitland Mess and TVs in the Chiltern)

My point is 'Work with what you are given', should anyone attempt to plug their computer into the network at RAF halton, or attempt anything malicious, it does come under the Computer Misuse Act. Intention is a crime, and potential is included within the Act.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1990..._en_1#pb1-l1g2 (See Para. 4)

"(4) A person may be guilty of an offence under this section even though the facts are such that the commission of the further offence is impossible."

So if anyone steals it, then uses it for that, PROVE it wasnt you! But you would still be guilty of bringing in a device that has potential to be mis-used.

I strongly advise that, you ask what the base provides, and just DONT bring them in!

Even as base-wide network administrators, we are restricted as to what we can bring in/use and how we use them. (And I'm the equivalent of a commissioned officer!)

Recruits are no exception.
    Koolie

While I bow to your obvious knowledge, you ain't got a clue, mate.

Phase 1 recruits cannot use the Chiltern, the cinema or the Maitland. They cannot leave the site so have no access to the HIVE, so in short are b*****d

No RTS barrack block has Halicon computers. Recruits do not have access to any building with that equipment. There is not the remotest possibility that a laptop could therefore be plugged into the system. The internet suite in MGs is ok but is not available to everyone.

I KNOW FOR A FACT that officers, SNCOs and permanent staff have internet enabled laptops and telephones in their Single living accommodation, so following on from your 'recruits are no exception' quip - so I presume do they. As far as I was aware, there is no problem about owning your own IT, so long as it isn't used for official purposes.

Papa Bear - You're a CIS OM. What's your take?

ps. This equivalent rank thing is a smokescreen. All it does is give you access to the Mess - it doesn't replace 6 months at Cranwell!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I KNOW FOR A FACT that officers, SNCOs and permanent staff have internet enabled laptops and telephones in their Single living accommodation, so following on from your 'recruits are no exception' quip - so I presume do they. As far as I was aware, there is no problem about owning your own IT, so long as it isn't used for official purposes.
    Errr, sort of; but the only times I've had internet enabled computers in my room in the mess have been when I've paid for a BT phone line (and subsequently enabled broadband), or used the internal system to make external calls for dialup at Linton when they still had that setup.

I don't think a recruit at Halton is likely to be able to have a phone line setup in his/her room.

However, I'm pretty sure that you're fine with your own laptop or whatever as long as it's not left out, and you accept that if someone did steal it, copy things off it/use it to steal files, then you're quite rightly liable.

ReputationRep:
    Koolie

While I bow to your obvious knowledge, you ain't got a clue, mate.

Phase 1 recruits cannot use the Chiltern, the cinema or the Maitland. They cannot leave the site so have no access to the HIVE, so in short are b*****d

No RTS barrack block has Halicon computers. Recruits do not have access to any building with that equipment. There is not the remotest possibility that a laptop could therefore be plugged into the system. The internet suite in MGs is ok but is not available to everyone.

ADF has computers in its CREW ROOM which if not mistaken are on the halton network.

Stan, what trade are u in ? and do recruits sign SyOps ?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafhalton/stat...es/thehive.cfm

states:

"available to ALL members of the Service community – serving personnel both married and single, together with their families and dependants"

If this is not the case, ask your Cpl. why Phase 1 recruits are not allowed to!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.