Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, mine says nothing of a sort, and suggests that I only have one interview. Still not sure about the 'OR TEST' part, but I'll have to send an informal email to the admissions office.
    Weird. Does it tell you when they expect you to arrive? And yeah, emailing is aaalways the best choice, I've got really useful stuff out of them that way

I also need to ask them about a slip of paper I was emailed asking about topics I'd like to discuss at interview. It doesn't specify whether to fill it in and send back, or whether to bring to your interview.
    I wish I had that chance... we don't seem to get any way to choose what to discuss... in fact, I like it better this way, then I can choose at the time!

STRESS!
    Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!! Folio worries...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scraceus999)
    I was planning to apply there!!! until a few weeks ago anyway.
    but then i would have had 3 AAA uni's....needed a back up lol. It was my least favourite out of Sheffield, Cardiff and Nottingham, so dropped it.
    And I decided not to apply to Edinburgh cos the chance of getting an offer is tiny.....probably less chance than cardiff or cambridge, simply cos they like to admit scottish students etc.

y chance of getin offer for edinurgh is tiny???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addison1)
    y chance of getin offer for edinurgh is tiny???
    Proper English please.

As scraceus999 says, they [supposedly] prefer local students (of Edinburgh and Scotland in general) as well as being a highly demanding University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crankine)
    Eek!! Thats crazy. I just keep thinking that I have missed some information of something, it gives you no information on the test or its format or anything. Maybe I'm turning into one of those paranoid over-prepared Oxbridge applicants... I hope not
    I should have an interview soon, and I'm not even going to think about it. If you try and prepare, and what you prepare for doesn't come up, you'll be worried and anxious of what to do/say.

I'm just going to be myself and relax, if I get in, I get in. If I don't, I've already got 2 good offers :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joelio36)
    I should have an interview soon, and I'm not even going to think about it. If you try and prepare, and what you prepare for doesn't come up, you'll be worried and anxious of what to do/say.

I'm just going to be myself and relax, if I get in, I get in. If I don't, I've already got 2 good offers :p:
    Yeah, definetly agree. I've got my first choice conditional so Cambridge is just an added bonus if I get an offer
    We don't get interview prep at school - they gave me good advice though:
    -know your personal statement and anything else that you've sent them (so you can answer any questions on it)
    -know what it is that interests you in the subjects
    -preferably have things you know you are enthusiastic about eg. a favourite architect (cliché but still - its something I've been told always comes up).

ReputationRep:
    yeah you can definitely steer your interview if you have interesting, relevant stuff to talk about.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, know your statement thoroughly, and have a good knowledge of topics that could be derived from your statement.

Your personal statement can help in guiding the interview, and what you talk about regarding it can also help 'steer' the conversation (as RocketTown explained).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RocketTown)
    yeah you can definitely steer your interview if you have interesting, relevant stuff to talk about.
    Yep, hope I can talk for long enough though! 20-30 minute interview.. then again, I have my folio to help

I see you're at Sheffield RocketTown....
    I got my Structural Engineering and Architecture 09 conditional XD XD XD XD happy times. Can I wonder what you've heard about the dual course? Is it as crazy busy as I've been told? It sounds amazing but scary!

ReputationRep:
    have you only got one interview at cambridge? i've never met an architecture applicant that has only had one before.

yeah i'm at sheffield now, its awesome here. I don't know too much about the dual course to be honest... though i know its a lot of work and apparently lots of maths on the engineering side. Its a 4 year course though so its spread out as much as is needed so you wont have twice the workload as the full architects or engineers. As far as i can tell its a massively popular course, and there's people on it from all over the world as its the only course of its kind in the UK (or at least was, i dunno if thats changed this year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RocketTown)
    have you only got one interview at cambridge? i've never met an architecture applicant that has only had one before.
    Nah sorry, I have one general interview, the 20-30 min one is just Architecture and my folio, and then a half hour written test :confused:

As far as i can tell its a massively popular course, and there's people on it from all over the world as its the only course of its kind in the UK (or at least was, i dunno if thats changed this year)
    Ooh yeah I heard about it it being popular, the requirements are put up to AAA this year.... but they are in Maths and Sciences not Art so that gives me confidence (I'm likely to get AAA and A or B in Art ) So there's no problem with lots of Maths.... I <3 it Hence why Sheffield is my first choice over Cambridge because I don't know if my Art is up to scratch.

Its a 4 year course though so its spread out as much as is needed so you wont have twice the workload as the full architects or engineers.
    Thats good but still scary - but I'm happy cause they cut out the boring Civil Eng bits and some less interesting Architecture eg Landscape :P (no offence to anyone who does them...)

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got building that i've seen and particularly like tbh
    (they specifically told me to be prepared to answer that in the interview letter)
    panic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSze)
    I haven't got building that i've seen and particularly like tbh
    (they specifically told me to be prepared to answer that in the interview letter)
    panic!
    Its actually not that hard to think of one - you don't have to have a single favourite. And if you can't think of ANY buildings that you like, whether or not you've actually been there, people might wonder what drew you to Architecture if it wasn't buildings!!!
    For example, I became interested in Gaudi after studying him in Art - you will probably have also come across many architects, so just think back and maybe do some research, find a building you like.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard back from Cambridge yet...

The pessimistic side of me is thinking definite rejection, but I'm more of an optimist. I haven't had a letter telling me that I'm doomed- so no news is good news?

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    not much to discuss really. common sense says.... yes.

ReputationRep:
    Its actually not that hard to think of one - you don't have to have a single favourite. And if you can't think of ANY buildings that you like, whether or not you've actually been there, people might wonder what drew you to Architecture if it wasn't buildings!!!
    For example, I became interested in Gaudi after studying him in Art - you will probably have also come across many architects, so just think back and maybe do some research, find a building you like.
    i am passionate about architecture, but not because I was actually inspired by a building.. you dont have to have a favorite pill to do medicine right
    there's a handful of places that drew me to study architecture.
    but it was due to sentimental/personal reasons instead of architectural.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSze)
    i am passionate about architecture, but not because I was actually inspired by a building.. you dont have to have a favorite pill to do medicine right
    there's a handful of places that drew me to study architecture.
    but it was due to sentimental/personal reasons instead of architectural.
    Okay, talk about those reasons then? I think as long as you have something to talk about they won't mind if you don't have one specific example...

PS... I re-read my previous post, sorry if it seemed mean or something...! I just meant that if it wasn't a building, interviewers are probably interested to know what else drew you to Architecture....
    sorry!

ReputationRep:
    nono, theres no need to say sorry,
    you were probably right about that.. better think of some building that i'd b comfortable to talk about.
    its hard tho, given that all i know is the iconic architecture...

ReputationRep:
    if you talk about iconic architecture, be ready to defend it, and define what 'iconic' means...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSze)
    its hard tho, given that all i know is the iconic architecture...
    i would expect that any tutor worth his / her salt would automatically challenge you that 'iconic architecture' isn't architecture at all, but really just corporate branding, and given that, why don't you just go for a career in marketing / advertising instead.

its certainly what i'd be inclined to say if i was feeling a bit chippy on the day in reply to someone harping on about iconic buildings.

ReputationRep:
    but the thing about K100, and especially Cambridge, is that it it mega creativity-oriented
    i never knew cambridge was creativity orientated:confused:

(Original post by jrhartley)
    i would expect that any tutor worth his / her salt would automatically challenge you that 'iconic architecture' isn't architecture at all, but really just corporate branding, and given that, why don't you just go for a career in marketing / advertising instead.

its certainly what i'd be inclined to say if i was feeling a bit chippy on the day in reply to someone harping on about iconic buildings.
    (i actually thought of doing advertising) anyhow i decided not to say i LIKE any of those..

how're u guys' preparation going?
    i did one mock interview with my engliah teacher :shifty:
    i couldnt answer anything..

"how would you build a sustainable school?"
    "build.... trees, no build a place for tress, no, leave space for building trees, no, planting trees..."

"how would someone find out the sustainability of an architecture by looking at it?"
    "they don't.."

arent we suppose to learn that in uni lol?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 22, 2008

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.