Good reasons to swtich to Econ Watch

The Dark Side
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by unsung_hero)
does anyone have a link to the LSE information on this?
I can't to find the link now but if you are taking Econ B, MA100 and ST102, you have to have at least 2.1 in theory. They can ask for firsts though which makes it very hard.

Not a lot of people will want to switch which is something Micky13 doesn't seem to understand... Doing Macro, Micro and Econometrics as compulsory makes it very theoretical in the second year...
Micky13
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The Dark Side)
Do you realize that once you take MA100 and ST102 for your first year options as an A&F student it is literally the same as someone doing Econ with an outside option in AC100? Do you also realize or know that MA100 is much harder than A-level maths? Do you also realize that you can still have 3 of the 4 modules same as an Econ student during your second year (Micro/Macro, Econometrics, Principles of Finance) meaning that A&F is not a walk in the park (since you are taking Econ as a benchmark). Do you also know that 17 people applied per place this year for A&F and most of them have academics that are, may be not on par with Econ but very good?

Now if you don't know all these (which I suspect you don't judging by your previous posts saying there is a massive difference between the two courses and there is no competition for A&F), I suggest you stop arguing and do some research. By the way the prestige difference is not so great. yes Econ is more prestigious but the student quality is about the same. Nearly everyone I know doing A&F are straight A students. Ignoring applicant academics and taking raw numbers, A&F has a lower admission rate than Econ. I doubt you go to LSE. Anyone here will tell you that for whatever couse, there is very high competition compared to any other place and significantly for anything that has Econ in the degree title, Law and Accounting and Finance there is extremely high competition.

/discussion
haha oh dear. you don't think i go to LSE? trust me, i do. i study law, which is irrelevant. and i know M100 is very hard. all my mates bang on about it all the time, and how they wish they could be doing the other easier maths module. i also know that there are lots of LSE students who study the same or very similar combinations of modules in the 1st year because thats the way LSE does things. However, your assumption about the calibre of applicant for A&F is completely wrong. no offence. it's not on the same level.
everyone i know who got in for A&F has distinctly average grades and openly admit they wouldn't get a look-in if they had applied for econ. and by average grades i mean A*s and A, which i know, seem excellent to most people. but from the perspective of most econ students, these are distinctly average. i havn't met a single straight econ student with less than 8a*s....sure, there will be people who have less...but nearly all of them have exceptional grades. Also, you suggest econ, A&f and law are equally competitve - they are in terms of numbers - say 1/20 for law is probably the same or similar to econ - but the quality of applicants is different - and i can say that, because it's clear from the people on my course. and no offence...A&F is a tier down from law too...i know it's an arrogant thing to say, but lets cut the ********. Econ is clearly the most prestigious degree at LSE. it's quite simply fact.
The Dark Side
Rep:
?
(Original post by Micky13)
However, your assumption about the calibre of applicant for A&F is completely wrong. no offence. it's not on the same level.
everyone i know who got in for A&F has distinctly average grades and openly admit they wouldn't get a look-in if they had applied for econ. and by average grades i mean A*s and A, which i know, seem excellent to most people. but from the perspective of most econ students, these are distinctly average. i havn't met a single straight econ student with less than 8a*s....sure, there will be people who have less...but nearly all of them have exceptional grades. Also, you suggest econ, A&f and law are equally competitve - they are in terms of numbers - say 1/20 for law is probably the same or similar to econ - but the quality of applicants is different - and i can say that, because it's clear from the people on my course. and no offence...A&F is a tier down from law too...i know it's an arrogant thing to say, but lets cut the ********. Econ is clearly the most prestigious degree at LSE. it's quite simply fact.
I think you are misreading my posts on purpose. I said the quality of applicants are about the same. The A* thing is the only difference. Most A&F students, in fact all of them that I know of are AAA+ students at A-level.

I also said Econ is more prestigious.

A&F is a tier down from law too.
Why? I would agree for any other uni. Not for LSE.

I would say the difference between the three courses when it comes to admissions is marginal. The difference is that you guys get AAA offers but we get AAB offers is to attract more people to apply for A&F and have a bigger pool of applicants to choose from. Otherwise everyone would apply to Econ due to the prestige which you are on about, which mind you, had a standard offer of AAB about four years ago. Now would would you argue that law was more competitive than Econ to get into at that time?

Competitiveness is about how picky the admissions tutors are for a particular course and the quality of applicants. For the courses I mentioned the tutors are very picky. Whether you agree or not, they are picky for A&F. They ranked 1st for the damn course for several years on the league tables and it owns the rest of the business courses (not social sciences i.e. Econ.) in the UK. End of. For Econ they are even more picky because they allegedly ask for 8* at GCSE though I know 3 or 4 people with less than that and hence the marginal difference for admissions.

why the **** am I arguing anyway....
Micky13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i agree, we should stop arguing,but... ( )
The A* thing is the only difference.
i agree
that's basically my argument though - its a crucial difference. in this day and age, everyone is getting bloody AAA at a-level! or something close to that. consequently, admissions tutors are picky on GCSEs to varying degrees, depending on the calibre of applicants. Hence why econ asks for 8A*s and law does something similar. surely this is a clear indicator that econ is therefore harder to get on to when first applying to university? i think it's a pretty fair conclusion? so this was why i originally banged on about the 'sneaky switch' after the 1st year of a degree.

anyway, i'm off, adios,
Merry Christmas!
The Dark Side
Rep:
?
i agree, we should stop arguing,but... ( )

i agree
that's basically my argument though - its a crucial difference. in this day and age, everyone is getting bloody AAA at a-level! or something close to that. consequently, admissions tutors are picky on GCSEs to varying degrees, depending on the calibre of applicants. Hence why econ asks for 8A*s and law does something similar. surely this is a clear indicator that econ is therefore harder to get on to when first applying to university? i think it's a pretty fair conclusion? so this was why i originally banged on about the 'sneaky switch' after the 1st year of a degree.

anyway, i'm off, adios,
Merry Christmas!
That's where we differ I guess :P

Let's shift the subject:

If LSE did interviews for all its courses and dish this GCSE thing, it would be much better. Do you agree? Like what about people with less A* and a real interest in the subject who gets in as opposed to someone with 8+ A* who can only write a good personal statement but would struggle during an interview??!! Plus we could be "up there" with Oxford and Cambridge under the admissions standards heading in the league tables---> the SU and the Beaver would also shut up...:yep:
Fellas
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm thinking of swapping from Maths and Econ to straight Econ. I've just not found the maths anywhere near as enjoyable as the Economics. No offense to the lecturers but some of them just don't make the maths interesting at all and it has been a slog going to lectures come the 5th 6th week of term. As long as I struggle with macro then I think I probably will try to swap. The website is quite cryptic and not very helpful to be honest.
unsung_hero
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Fellas)
I'm thinking of swapping from Maths and Econ to straight Econ. I've just not found the maths anywhere near as enjoyable as the Economics. No offense to the lecturers but some of them just don't make the maths interesting at all and it has been a slog going to lectures come the 5th 6th week of term. As long as I struggle with macro then I think I probably will try to swap. The website is quite cryptic and not very helpful to be honest.
do you mean dont?
tourist
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not a lot of people will want to switch which is something Micky13 doesn't seem to understand...
QFT
The Dark Side
Rep:
?
(Original post by tourist)
QFT
??
DannyBoy123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well everyone knows that Government owns all.

/discussion. hehe.

Seriously though this is like arguing whether Porsche, Ferrari or Lamborghini is the best - i.e. totally pointless.
The Sherminator
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DannyBoy123)
Well everyone knows that Government owns all.

/discussion. hehe.

Seriously though this is like arguing whether Porsche, Ferrari or Lamborghini is the best - i.e. totally pointless.
Clearly Lamborghini....

:p:
tourist
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
??
Quote for truth - I agree with you
The Dark Side
Rep:
?
(Original post by tourist)
Quote for truth - I agree with you
I see. Sorry I didn't know the acronym.
Guillotin
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For the record, it is FALSE that you must do MA100 and ST102 to be able to transfer to BSc Econ in your second year. You can perfectly well do MA107 and ST107 in your first year. The only COMPULSORY module that's a pre-requisite for your switching is EC102. Let's clarify things:

If you do MA100, ST102, EC102 and one other option as an A&F student, you can switch without any problems whatsoever to BSc Econ as long as you score a 2:1+ in those three modules. You become like any other BSc Econ student in your second year.

If you do MA107, ST107, EC102 and two other options (because MA107 and ST107 are half modules) as an A&F student, you can also perfectly well switch to BSc Econ in your second year provided you score a 2:1+ in those three modules. The catch? You LOSE your option in your second year. BSc Econ students do micro (EC201 or EC202), macro (EC210), econometrics (EC220 or EC221) and one outside option. You will also have to do micro (it HAS to be EC201, since EC202 pre-supposes MA100), macro (EC210), econometrics (it HAS to be EC220, since EC221 pre-supposes ST102). But instead of the one outside option, you will be forced to do two half modules - MA207 and ST201 - to make up for the lost proficiency in math and stats in your first year. In your THIRD year, you will be like any other BSc Econ student.
bhappi
Report 9 years ago
Riiiight... I am a first year doing Accounting & Finance and so far I am enjoying Econ much more than accounting. Accounting presents no intellectual challenge. It's really demanding, but involves little thinking, it's just learning the jargon and the technique - which all comes todebit and credit in the end. As a result of all these combined with my interested in economics, I would like to switch to Bsc Economics next year. I need to write a reason for transfer. Can anyone suggest something adequate or suitable, especially those who have done it before?

Btw I have AAAB at A-level and doing AC100, MA100, ST102, EC102 so I have the grades and my modules are identical to the compulsory modules of a first year econ student - no problems with those.
you have the reasons alrdy. if u can get 2:1 or above then yeh y not.
just to remind u, the difference in qualities of a&f students and econ students is quite clear, pointless to argue.
the fact that u ONLY have AAAB at A-level is quite a piece of evidence.
admit it, life is harsh. prove ur competence(if sufficient) by joining the econ depart. in ur 2nd year.
The Dark Side
Rep:
?
(Original post by bhappi)
you have the reasons alrdy. if u can get 2:1 or above then yeh y not.
just to remind u, the difference in qualities of a&f students and econ students is quite clear, pointless to argue.
the fact that u ONLY have AAAB at A-level is quite a piece of evidence.
admit it, life is harsh. prove ur competence(if sufficient) by joining the econ depart. in ur 2nd year.
:stupid:
cuctacuctac
Report 9 years ago
You can totally change from A&F to Econ. I did. Actually I didn't know they would allow it in the first place (having the same arguments as some have posted here). Even though I found AC100 absolutely dull (only personal opinion) I had no intentions of switching.

Then come the second year. My first lecture was on Managerial Accounting and it was OMG dreading. And one of my friends (she's in BSc Econ) asked me why don't I ask for a transfer? It wouldn't hurt trying. It was Wednesday of the first week. So I contacted all sorts of people, I didn't even know that the person I needed to talk to was Ms. Shapiro. I managed to get to her at the end of the first week.

Clearly, the deadline for transferring request had already past by then. (I didn't know there was a deadline to start with either, totally clueless) But she was kind enough to consider my request still. She asked for a reference from my EC102 teacher (btw, he's the best Mr. Iain Long :cool:). I had no idea what he wrote since it's sent straight to Judith Shapiro during the weekend.

Then Monday of the second week, I had to meet her in person. She talked about a lot of stuff (none of which was relevant) and then at the end of the meeting, she signed my request to transfer form (I was sane enough to get the form from the Student Service Centre before meeting her).

That's how it happened for me. I'm an international student, no GCSEs and I only did 3 A-levels, one of those being Accounting (in the black list) so yeah, I didn't stand a chance of getting into BSc Econ straightaway.
unsung_hero
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cuctacuctac)
You can totally change from A&F to Econ. I did. Actually I didn't know they would allow it in the first place (having the same arguments as some have posted here). Even though I found AC100 absolutely dull (only personal opinion) I had no intentions of switching.

Then come the second year. My first lecture was on Managerial Accounting and it was OMG dreading. And one of my friends (she's in BSc Econ) asked me why don't I ask for a transfer? It wouldn't hurt trying. It was Wednesday of the first week. So I contacted all sorts of people, I didn't even know that the person I needed to talk to was Ms. Shapiro. I managed to get to her at the end of the first week.

Clearly, the deadline for transferring request had already past by then. (I didn't know there was a deadline to start with either, totally clueless) But she was kind enough to consider my request still. She asked for a reference from my EC102 teacher (btw, he's the best Mr. Iain Long :cool:). I had no idea what he wrote since it's sent straight to Judith Shapiro during the weekend.

Then Monday of the second week, I had to meet her in person. She talked about a lot of stuff (none of which was relevant) and then at the end of the meeting, she signed my request to transfer form (I was sane enough to get the form from the Student Service Centre before meeting her).

That's how it happened for me. I'm an international student, no GCSEs and I only did 3 A-levels, one of those being Accounting (in the black list) so yeah, I didn't stand a chance of getting into BSc Econ straightaway.
Wow thats a nice story. Just wondering when is the deadline for transferring?
favev
Report 9 years ago
A&F is a tier down from law too
Is that really true?
And how good is a&f compare with math&econ, management and econ&econ his. I mean, to have a career in IB. I just got an offer from lse and I don't much about them. I only know that econ is the most respected one.
Micky13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by favev)
Is that really true?
And how good is a&f compare with math&econ, management and econ&econ his. I mean, to have a career in IB. I just got an offer from lse and I don't much about them. I only know that econ is the most respected one.
A&f course at lse is the best a&f course in the country. but maths and econ and econ with econ His would be much better for IB in my opinion. not sure where management would fit in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (90)
25.86%
No (258)
74.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise