Turn on thread page Beta

my personality and talent are at entirely opposite ends of the spectrum watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confused.me)
    oh god, don't even go there.
    however much i want to go to ballet school my parents will never ever ever let me. EVER.
    it's the thing that depresses me most.
    Who's life is it? Yours or theirs? My parents have always told me to persue my passions. I'm sad your parents aren't like mine.

However, I still stand by what I've said; this is YOUR university career, the rest of your life. It is NOT down to your parents to make your choices and you cannot be bullied by them.

If they allow you to follow a path of their choosing and not your own they have in my honest opinion, failed as parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by watermelon sugar)
    my art teacher tried to tell me taking a year out to do art foundation would help me with maths
    (i'm still contemplating it, but uh, i just sent off my ucas!)
    Some teacher's will do anything to make you like their subject. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    im currently in a similar situation... ive always been music, for god knows how many years. My parents have supported me over and over, willing me on... telling them a couple of weeks ago that my passion was with english litterature rather than music was like coming home and telling them id killed someone... not sure which theyd be happier with...
    since then theyve tried all maner of emotional and financial black mail, threats, persuasion and the like to try and get me to change my mind.
    to finish my rant, the point is, its your life, your the one thats going to have to deal with the consequences of your actions, not your parents. your off to uni, be mature and grown up, and decide what you want to do, not your parents.

ReputationRep:
    I'm only at A level but in addition to studying Sciences and humanities I'm in a play at another school, doing a public speaking award and learning a language (kind of relevant to my Classical civilisation as it's ancient Greek, but I'm not doing the A level in it). Just because you focus in one area doesn't mean you can continue others at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doublereedfreak)
    Some teacher's will do anything to make you like their subject. :rolleyes:
    haha yeah, well i do like her subject. but she is just desperate for me to keep art up

ReputationRep:
    Oh, well sorry then :o:
    It's just people say it alllll the time and it's really frustrating.
    'Maths brains' usually love to be fed music

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClivePounds)
    'Maths brains' usually love to be fed music
    My frustration just came from my very annoying maths teacher. She inspected our music lesson once and acted like a complete know-it-all because she said maths was 'very closely related'. She just looked like a but of an idiot though.

ReputationRep:
    My frustration just came from my very annoying maths teacher. She inspected our music lesson once and acted like a complete know-it-all because she said maths was 'very closely related'. She just looked like a but of an idiot though.
    OK, that does sound big-headed of her, I'll grant you that

ReputationRep:
    would highly recommend looking into US universities as you'll be able to take both maths/sciences and art courses (in fact I'm concentrating in the former yet taking courses in the latter, at an art school i can cross-register with). You can even double major/minor if you so choose. at least give it a shot, and best of luck
    demoda

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BingBangBong)
    Architecture maybe?
    Seconded, it's a good combination of arts and science. thats why i do it

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty similar. I considered fine art and circus arts (which horrified my father somewhat, but remains my dream job!) before deciding to do neuroscience.

Who you'll meet depends on where you go, but you'll almost certainly be able to mix with people doing different subjects though societies and through your halls of residence, and you should have some free time to pursue your other interests - most actively Unis encourage it! Science degrees are more time consuming that arts ones though.

Plus, there are ways to mix them; studying the neural mechanisms associated with creative thought, medical imaging, using pattern recognition to detect forgeries, using chemical analysis to restore great works of art, architecture, product design, computer graphics, pyrotechnics, music production, and many others. Plenty of artists were strongly influenced by science, from Leonardo Da Vinci to Salvador Dali to Damien Hurst. There's really no need to see them as mutually exclustive.

ReputationRep:
    You needn't choose one or the other. You can make time for both, who says you need a degree in something to enjoy and achieve excellence and sucess in either or both if that's what you desire. Too many people probably don't realise their full potential just because they're forced to choose between things.

Don't catergorise things. Everything is linked together, academia just chooses to seperate it to make it simpler. There is art in science. And science in art.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 17, 2008
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.