Turn on thread page Beta

Trying to finish uni without debt. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    Yorkshire and Edinburgh are not worlds apart.
    Shows how much I know then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~style)
    Ohhhh, you don't live in Scotland do you, of course you'll be moving out then to university halls, my bad.

As much as it is a hype, yes, student still do manage to get into thousands of debt, some I knew took a loan and didn't spend it I think she as saving it for a holiday or something like that.
    That's kind of dumb, perhaps she saw it as "free money". What university did you go to btw?

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? Just take out a massive student loan, you don't have to pay it back until you're earning decent money anyway.

ReputationRep:
    1. Take all the loan you can get
    2. Put it in a high interest savings account (think ISA type thing)
    3. Earn interest on said money
    4. When you graduate pay the money back, less the interest.

Good luck with your quest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orthala)
    It really depends on the area you work in, your interests and if you are actually any good in your position. My mums boyfriend didn't go to univeristy. He actually dropped out after A Levels but is earning a lot, even without a degree. My mum on the otherhand is on £24k without a degree (although she got one a few years ago).

Theres a lot of if's to say that you would earn more than someone without a degree.

Extreme I know. A 1st from Oxford Law - lazes about at home for years, doesn't get a job for years and ends up working fulltime elsewhere as he can't get in anywhere. I know, an extreme. But you can't say for definite you will earn more than anyone without a degree.

But generally, those with a degree earn more.
    Then again it's not all about money. But I'd go into the civil service via fastrack and graduate pay is about 22k. My mum was a civil servant and got quite high up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam...)
    Who cares? Just take out a massive student loan, you don't have to pay it back until you're earning decent money anyway.
    She does? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    1. Take all the loan you can get
    2. Put it in a high interest savings account (think ISA type thing)
    3. Earn interest on said money
    4. When you graduate pay the money back, less the interest.

Good luck with your quest.
    No wonder you have 30 GCSEs and 12 A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam...)
    £15000 p/a is not decent and who would want a £30000 debt with them for years anyway?

ReputationRep:
    It will be worth it in the long run. Plus the interest on the loan is minimal.. Personally I don't have a choice, my time at university is going to be funded solely on loans.

ReputationRep:
    No wonder you have 30 GCSEs and 12 A-levels.
    Thank you kindly.

Unfortunately i'm not in a position to take my own advice. I need that money! But if I was that is what I would do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fadetogrey)
    I'm already on a gap year so I shan't take another. I've started saving and I should have about £4000 by the time I start uni [if I continue in working a 16hr week]. Grant wise, I have absolutely no idea how much I'm entitled to, it wouldn't be much though. My dad will continue to give me £300 a month so it's not like I'll be without.
    could you look at working more than 16hours - maybe doing overtime - what sort fo job do you have at the moment

ReputationRep:
    My firm and insurance uni's are Edinburgh and Glasgow respectively. The p/a estimated cost of living down on Edinburgh's website; £6200, with £100 budget for clothes. So for a 4 year degree, that's £24,800. I think I'll seek employment!
    It varies a lot between people - I know people who spend less than me, others a lot lot more.

Lack of alcohol and TV will definitely save you money (sensible person, BTW!).

You'll only need to pay half fees, so you'll save money there compared to others.

Rent will obviously vary and depends on the area - you may want to consider whether you want to pay more to live in a half decent area.

Edinburgh has an excellent public transport system - when it's not being decimated by pointless roadworks - so you're not too restricted on where to stay. Plus, it is very cheap.

Being sensible and taking care where you shop can save you money too, the exact same product may be cheaper at a different supermarket say. And avoid the little Tesco Express-type shops unless urgent - they generally set prices higher than the larger ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niaya)
    could you look at working more than 16hours - maybe doing overtime - what sort fo job do you have at the moment
    It's just a minimum wage job atm but I'm looking for more hours.

ReputationRep:
    I've just got an unconditional offer from York [something which I never thought I'd be in receipt of] so I'm considering studying there, meaning I could live at home.

ReputationRep:
    I've just got an unconditional offer from York [something which I never thought I'd be in receipt of] so I'm considering studying there, meaning I could live at home.
    Niice, congrats, that's surely a deal breaker now. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Niice, congrats, that's surely a deal breaker now. :yep:
    Yah but I'm so indecisive! I'll never pick where to study if I get into Edinburgh too. I suppose I should pick York over Glasgow.. what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Yah but I'm so indecisive! I'll never pick where to study if I get into Edinburgh too. I suppose I should pick York over Glasgow.. what do you think?
    I really hate answering those questions, I'm way too scared I'll influence someone taking a decision like this. :woo:

I suppose there are some factors to consider. For me I always tried to stay as close to home as possible, but that's just me, some people just can't wait to move out. Also from what I've heard about York, it's a really good university, what are you planning to study?

ReputationRep:
    I really hate answering those questions, I'm way too scared I'll influence someone taking a decision like this. :woo:

I suppose there are some factors to consider. For me I always tried to stay as close to home as possible, but that's just me, some people just can't wait to move out. Also from what I've heard about York, it's a really good university, what are you planning to study?
    Glasgow = Politics
    York = Politics/Sociology [equal]

The thing is, I love politics but overall scraped a B and I found sociology interesting and got full marks in my first year then 80% in my second year at college. League table wise, York comes out on top in every way. If I get into Edinburgh, I'll have a dilemma. I've talked it over with my mum and she says York is better than Glasgow, but York and Edinburgh are as good as each other, with their weaknesses and strengths being cancelled out. But I don't have an offer from Ed. yet.

I just don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow = Politics
    York = Politics/Sociology [equal]

The thing is, I love politics but overall scraped a B and I found sociology interesting and got full marks in my first year then 80% in my second year at college. League table wise, York comes out on top in every way. If I get into Edinburgh, I'll have a dilemma. I've talked it over with my mum and she says York is better than Glasgow, but York and Edinburgh are as good as each other, with their weaknesses and strengths being cancelled out. But I don't have an offer from Ed. yet.

I just don't know.
    Ok, how about this, when I had to choose unis I couldn't decide between 2 unis because of the unis themselves and the different course they each offered.
    So what you can do is delay your decision for now, keeping thinking it out thoroughly, if you still can't decide by the end of it, do what I did, put the 2 you want most as firm and insurance, this way you have until August to decide between the two as you can withdraw from your firm. I'm not sure how risky this is and what it involves though, you might wanna check. :o:

I know what you mean though, I hate choosing.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Good luck is all I can say.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 24, 2008
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.