Think I may be homophobic Watch

nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Shaun1991)
OK, how about, phobia is an irrational fear of something, so therefore, you cannot help being irrationally afraid of homosexuals.
I love the idiocy of this argument, since homophobia (as in pretty much 100% of contemporary usages) isn't a "phobia" at all (hence why some people want it to be renamed heterosexism, which would make more sense).
Shaun1991
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by nuodai)
I love the idiocy of this argument, since homophobia (as in pretty much 100% of contemporary usages) isn't a "phobia" at all (hence why some people want it to be renamed heterosexism, which would make more sense).
Maybe so, but either way, I will admit to being homophobic, but i cannot help it, I just find it wrong, remember 'I cannot help it', before all you enlightened ones start smiting me.
jgoggs1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Maybe you and the guy who thinks he's gay should hook up sometime...
menaa-x
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
stay away from him if you dont like that hes gay then.
ningasheep12345
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OK, how about, phobia is an irrational fear of something, so therefore, you cannot help being irrationally afraid of homosexuals.
The word phobia gives homophobia a credibility it doesn't deserve. It is not like being afraid of spiders. There is a thought process, it is just bigotry.
homonk
Report 10 years ago
Maybe so, but either way, I will admit to being homophobic, but i cannot help it, I just find it wrong, remember 'I cannot help it', before all you enlightened ones start smiting me.
Of course you can help it, get over yourself.
ladylish
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=730409

Is this some sort of test to see what we react to more? Possible homophobia, or possible heterophobia? Or was the heterophobia thread a mistake of some sort (mixing the two up) or meant to be a joke by another TSR-er? I'm very confused.

EDIT: just to throw in my opinion, you can't justify homophobia by saying it's irrational and thus you can't help it. The mere fact that you recognise your prejudice as an irrational fear means that you have to rationalise and overcome this fear (and can do so, as you've recognised it as irrational). By calling it irrational, you see there is no REASON to be afraid.
Norfolkadam
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
I'm gay but I get really, really, really pissed off by the camp people normally thought of as the stereotypical gay. There was one on the bus the other day and I wanted to punch him in the face.

It doesn't mean I'm homophobic, their personality just gets in my face and it annoys me that they are presented as "gay".
Dr.Hox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Who gives a crap?

I dont see why youre not allowed to hate him more than anyone else, regardless of the reasons. Do you hate all gay people or do you hate him?

Screw it, either way, who cares?
kb18
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by willenium)
i am tolerant of everyone but the intolerant
same, i hate people who think other people are lower than them because of something that a) theres nothing wrong with and b) you cant help

racist/homophobic/sexist people are the ones with the problem and they should change.

and i say this as a mixed-race bisexual woman lol
kb18
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Norfolkadam)
I'm gay but I get really, really, really pissed off by the camp people normally thought of as the stereotypical gay. There was one on the bus the other day and I wanted to punch him in the face.

It doesn't mean I'm homophobic, their personality just gets in my face and it annoys me that they are presented as "gay".
thats really really stupid, what you should be fighting for is that gay people are as different as straight people not that none are like the stereotype, camp people should not change their personality, and also i dont think that men and women should act in a certain way, we are all individuals.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (101)
19.65%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (210)
40.86%
Nope, not that interesting (203)
39.49%

Watched Threads