From UCL to Leeds Watch

Sophie K
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Has the OP made up his/her mind yet or are they still deciding?
Sophie K
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
^^^^?:confused:
global_warning
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cgardens)
I am 2nd yr a UCL, and i think u must've just met the wrong people- its only first term. Most pples friends change throughout 1st year, now i'm in second year i'm friends with different people to those in first.
Additionally I definately do not sit in the library all day, in fact i go out far too much if i want to get a decent degree, i'm certainly not a computer nerd and none of my friends are.
Finally it's highly likely you'll find more rahs on the Leeds history of art course. Leeds is a university that is still considered good but not hard to get into, thus considered acceptable to daddy whose spent 60 grand on precious rahs schooling. UCL is pretty liberal, less known for its social scene and you have to be on an intelligence level more on an oxbridge level. In which case rahs with the ability will have gone to oxbridge or will have not had the level of intelligence or been too lazy.
I take for evidence- Chelsea, Prince Harrys girlfriend. She says it all.

Stick it out at UCL for first yr and then if your still unhappy see if leeds will accomodate a transfer?

Good luck on the decision, however I really think you're being too premature- it's early days.
Good advice for you OP
Ayelet
Report 10 years ago
All bar one of the History of Art people I have met have been 'rahs' (I'm at UCL too, by the way), but other courses seem to be quite different. Is this your first year? Have you been to any societies? Try broadening your social horizons a bit. In the first term of my first year I had a bit of difficulty making friends, but things changed. I dare say they will for you too. Relationships change, social circles expand and break up, especially when people are still getting to know each other.
Good luck with making your decision.
HopeLasting
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
well, the first year is over and, dare i say it, nothing has changed. infact, i probably hate uni more than before! ive only made a few friends, and have found noone to move in with next year, so ive buried myself in a practically full time job which has killed my non existant social life and probably not helped with my studies! i spend all my nights at home or at my boyfriends because its closer to my job and easier to drive to, even though im still paying a ridiculous amount for halls. everythings a disaster!
a few nights ago i had a really vivid dream that i was trying to transfer to leeds, but it was too late, so i was running around trying to contact someone that would help me transfer but to no avail.. i havnt been able to stop thinking about it since. ive researched the course at Leeds and it seems much wider and with more personal choices than UCL.. the only thing that is still holding me back is my boyfriend, we've been together for 2 and a half years now and i definitely cant see myself without him, and i cant ask him to come up to leeds with me because he's finally found a stable job here in london. aaaaagh!! maybe i should quit uni and get ft job and be done with it!?!
prospectivEEconomist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by River85)
In truth there's little (ie. no) significant difference amongst the redbricks and city unis. Birmingham, Sheffield, Newcastle etc. may be around the late teens/20 spot yet I think you'd have a hard case arguing that these are significantly stronger than Leeds, Liverpool, Cardiff etc. League tables are like that, they make some exaggerate the (small) differences between unis. "OMG that's ten places above, it must be soooo much better like" :rolleyes:

I just thought top ten/fifteen was a bit high. Especially top ten. It just doesn't have the range of strengths a "tep ten" uni has, not in my opinion. Where could you find room for it amongst the "usual" top ten (which, for most on TSR, is the current Times/Sunday Times top ten)?
Mate, don't you get bored saying the same thing everyday? Let these people research past threads because all these questions have been answered a million times. People need to realise the league table position of a university will make little to no difference in securing a graduate job at 95% of the companies.
Rob19
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by HopeLasting)
i want to move because i feel like i dont really fit into ucl. i havnt really managed to make any friends who share the same interests as me, and although ive tried everyone is always in their own little groups. everybody seems to be very 'rah' about the fact they go to ucl and thats just not what im about. i know this is probably not a good enough reason to move, but i feel like i know i wouldnt hate it at leeds because evryone seems much more down to earth. my main issue is that knowing ucl is a good uni im apprehensive about leaving, is a degree from ucl more important than my social life?
I'd say thats a very good reason to move. I went to an open day at Oxford, and had been under pressure to apply there, and thought (from those whom I met directly) that it was full of the people that you describe. I'm really, really glad that I didn't apply. Leeds is supposed to be amazing, and its good academically also. On the other hand, why not apply to Kings? You will be near your friends and it might be less 'rah'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (181)
27.42%
No (479)
72.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed